Episode 1: What just happened?

Adventured threads & archive sub forum

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

User avatar
Dylan Sowell
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Dylan Sowell »

(rolls held over)
Michael wrote:He rushes and quickly catches up with everyone. "Don't you guys think the roof is the worst place to go. I mean it has it's advantages at a time like this but won't we be sitting ducks if those crazies manage to corner us up there?"
Dylan doesn't look to Mike when he responds. My attention is better kept on the threats. "The most dangerous foe is ignorance. There are tactical advantages and disadvantages to such an elevated position, but our ignorance about the bigger picture is doubtlessly far more dangerous. Besides, I got an open field of fire up here on the greenspace."
My Linktree Page
Dylan Sowell
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Michael Oscars

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Michael Oscars »

(Rolls carried over)
Dylan Sowell wrote

Dylan doesn't look to Mike when he responds. My attention is better kept on the threats. "The most dangerous foe is ignorance. There are tactical advantages and disadvantages to such an elevated position, but our ignorance about the bigger picture is doubtlessly far more dangerous. Besides, I got an open field of fire up here on the greenspace."
My Linktree Page
Michael nods his head in agreement a bit hessitant but without any other choices he goes on.
User avatar
Nanna Jo
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Nanna Jo »

(rolls held over)
Dylan Sowell wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:32 pm Dylan doesn't look to Mike when he responds. My attention is better kept on the threats. "The most dangerous foe is ignorance. There are tactical advantages and disadvantages to such an elevated position, but our ignorance about the bigger picture is doubtlessly far more dangerous. Besides, I got an open field of fire up here on the greenspace."
Nanna Jo looks at Dylan with one raised eyebrow. Well he's gone from Gansta Snoopy Poppy Doggy to The Terminator! Must watch a lot of telly.

She scratches her chin thoughtfully. "Well if you want a squiz at the bigger picture, I have a fancy drone packed with my bike. My boys are nuts about the things on the farm, good for checking the sheep without going for a long walk." She shrugs, leaning on her walking stick. "I'm fairly rubbish flying it, but have been practicing. We could look ahead and see were the streets are jammed, and if there's any easier ways out of town. But first, let's just look over the edge and see what's going on with our own eyeballs."
Nanna Jo
"The cricket bat is mightier than the pen and the sword combined."

H.P.: 24/24
S.D.C.: 38/38
Armor Worn Leather Riding Suit (Padded)
  • A.R.: 12
  • S.D.C.: 35/35
User avatar
The Governor
Dimension Master
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by The Governor »

Location: New Orleans, Louisiana - The Saenger, Stairwell, 10th Floor Landing
Date: April 1st
Time: 1:25 pm
Weather: Sunny, 86º

When you all exit the stairwell, the 10th floor landing is quiet for the most part. Lynn can hear the end of a TV weather report coming from one of the nearby hotel room doors. "...40% chance of showers this afternoon. Back to you Chuck." The story them transitions, "We've lost contact with the action news, man on the streets, Bob Martin. Though our last report stated that some of the people being treated for the Wave at University Medical Center were suddenly getting up and attacking people..." just then the voice cuts off and the theme song to Jeopardy can be heard. Apparently someone was tired of the news, as it sounds like they changed the channel.

A whirl can be heard coming from one of the elevator shafts and the floor level counter starts rising from the 5th floor. Any who see it watch the numbers start counting up, 6...7...8... It continues rising and all of you can feel the dread of uncertainty start to creep up on you as the indicator reaches the 10th floor. But then it continues, going all the way up to the 20th floor.

When Dylan reaches the door to the bridge, it opens easily, giving you a clear view of what amounts to a 12 foot wide hallway with windows on either side and a pair of glass double doors at the other end. As you all enter the hall, the air feels a little more stuffy and there is visible condensation on the doors leading out the the pool area. When you all reach the garage side you can see that the small concierge kiosk just before the door is empty. Looking across the county you see the computer's lock screen as well as closed cabinet along the back wall of the kiosk.

Before you get any further, the front desk clerk, Kevin, furrows his brows and says, "That's weird. Tom is supposed to be working this desk."


What do you do?
User avatar
Lynn Jacobs
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Lynn Jacobs »

Perception: 1d100: [40] = 40 / 25%
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 / 1d100: [6] = 6
Conditions: +1 save vs HF

The Saenger, 10th Floor

“The wave at University Medical Center attacking people? Did you guys hear that too?” Lynn asks the group. She looks at Kevin and whispers, “Just how close are we to the hospital?”

As the elevator begins to move, she unconsciously holds her breath. Why are you so scared? Lynn asks herself as the numbers tick up past the 10th floor. What were you expecting? After the danger passes, she breathes deeply for a moment and shakes off her fears. Now is not the time, she thinks, leading Tarka out the door with the others.
The Governor wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:30 pmBefore you get any further, the front desk clerk, Kevin, furrows his brows and says, "That's weird. Tom is supposed to be working this desk."
“Maybe he’s taking a break?” Lynn suggests to Kevin. She walks over to the kiosk and takes a look around. She waves the clerk over. “Does anything look out of the ordinary?” she asks.

Should we run into trouble, Lynn will try to get out of the way.
Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20: [4] = 4
1. Dodge: 1d20: [13] = 13
2. Dodge: 1d20: [18] = 18
3. Dodge: 1d20: [1] = 1
4. Dodge: 1d20: [10] = 10
Lynn Jacobs
“We'd stared into the face of Death, and Death blinked first. You'd think that would make us feel brave and invincible. It didn't.” - Rick Yancey, The 5th Wave
User avatar
Dylan Sowell
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Dylan Sowell »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [52] = 52
JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6 / 1d100: [93] = 93
Conditions: +3 v HF, +1 v Toxins;
The Governor wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:30 pmWhen Dylan reaches the door to the bridge, it opens easily, giving you a clear view of what amounts to a 12 foot wide hallway with windows on either side and a pair of glass double doors at the other end.
Being on the tenth floor and in a space with open windows to either side, Dylan surveys the city to see how things are going. "Take a good look, folks. We've got a pretty high vantage here. If you see a way out of the city that isn't choked with cars, don't hesitate to say something." Dylan's primary reason for going up was to get a good vantage on the city and see what the broader situation might be. "If any of you catches sight of any medical supplies, just take 'em. Sounds like the hospitals are really not safe right now."
The Governor wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:30 pmAs you all enter the hall, the air feels a little more stuffy and there is visible condensation on the doors leading out the the pool area. When you all reach the garage side you can see that the small concierge kiosk just before the door is empty. Looking across the county you see the computer's lock screen as well as closed cabinet along the back wall of the kiosk. Before you get any further, the front desk clerk, Kevin, furrows his brows and says, "That's weird. Tom is supposed to be working this desk."
"I don't think Tom is stalwartly manning his post like some soldier, mate. If he's lucky, I'd wager he punched the clock and headed home." Let's not bring up the matter if he's been unlucky. I doubt Kevin would handle that well. "Kevin, what's in that locked cabinet?"

Dylan Sowell wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:47 pm
Contingency in case there's further need of violence:
Initiative: 1d20: [3] = 3
Action 1: Axe Kick (to shove any attacker back). Strike: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage: 2d8+5: [7, 7]+5 = 19
Action 2: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , Damage: 4d6+2: [1, 4, 4, 4]+2 = 15
Action 3: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , Damage: 4d6+2: [3, 1, 3, 6]+2 = 15
Action 4: Axe Kick (to shove any attacker back). Strike: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage: 2d8+5: [3, 7]+5 = 15
Action 5: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , Damage: 4d6+2: [4, 5, 6, 6]+2 = 23
Action 6: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 , Damage: 4d6+2: [3, 1, 3, 4]+2 = 13

Parries (+4 included): 1d20+4: [9]+4 = 13 , 1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7 , 1d20+4: [19]+4 = 23 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17
My Linktree Page
Dylan Sowell
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
User avatar
Nanna Jo
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Nanna Jo »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [68] = 68
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 / 1d100: [41] = 41
Conditions: +1 v HF, +4 v Toxins;

The Saenger, 10th Floor
The Governor wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:30 pm When you all exit the stairwell, the 10th floor landing is quiet for the most part. Lynn can hear the end of a TV weather report coming from one of the nearby hotel room doors. "...40% chance of showers this afternoon. Back to you Chuck." The story them transitions, "We've lost contact with the action news, man on the streets, Bob Martin. Though our last report stated that some of the people being treated for the Wave at University Medical Center were suddenly getting up and attacking people..."
Might be a wet night, will we be on the road or stuck in this bloody hotel?
The Governor wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:30 pm A whirl can be heard coming from one of the elevator shafts and the floor level counter starts rising from the 5th floor. Any who see it watch the numbers start counting up, 6...7...8... It continues rising and all of you can feel the dread of uncertainty start to creep up on you as the indicator reaches the 10th floor.
The old lady farmer watches the indicator, her face set grimly, and she unconsciously tightens her grip on her walking stick. Anything nasty comes out of that lift and they're getting worse than a screwdriver in the head.
The Governor wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:30 pm But then it continues, going all the way up to the 20th floor.
Just who is getting out of that lift up on 20? She watches the indicator a moment to see if it returns down, and she briefly considers pressing the button to send it back down to her. Better not. She listens for any sign of what is departing at level 20, hoping she doesn't hear anymore weird yowling and moaning.

The Governor wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:30 pm When Dylan reaches the door to the bridge, it opens easily, giving you a clear view of what amounts to a 12 foot wide hallway with windows on either side and a pair of glass double doors at the other end. As you all enter the hall, the air feels a little more stuffy and there is visible condensation on the doors leading out the the pool area. When you all reach the garage side you can see that the small concierge kiosk just before the door is empty. Looking across the county you see the computer's lock screen as well as closed cabinet along the back wall of the kiosk.

Before you get any further, the front desk clerk, Kevin, furrows his brows and says, "That's weird. Tom is supposed to be working this desk."
"Well let's have a look at what Tom saw," Nanna Jo says, squinting out the windows toward the streets below. "He might've cleared off if the traffic wasn't too backed up." She looks about to see the situation on the ground and to judge whether leaving the city is viable. If the cars aren't moving maybe we could all bike out of here. Nanna Jo looks about the group, wondering if this group of folk can keep their wits, stay together and find safety.

If trouble comes, Nanna will let the boys with guns manage it. Nanna will brain anything gets past them and in particular anything that threatens Kevin or Lynn.

Initiative: 1d20: [15] = 15
Action 1: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [9] = 9 , Damage: 2d4+12: [2, 4]+12 = 18
Action 2: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [6] = 6 , Damage: 2d4+12: [3, 2]+12 = 17
Action 3: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [12] = 12 , Damage: 2d4+12: [4, 4]+12 = 20
Action 4: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [14] = 14 , Damage: 2d4+12: [1, 2]+12 = 15
Action 5: Reserved for Dodge 1d20+3: [4]+3 = 7

Parry rolls: 1d20+3: [20]+3 = 23 , 1d20+3: [1]+3 = 4 , 1d20+3: [17]+3 = 20 , 1d20+3: [19]+3 = 22 , 1d20+3: [14]+3 = 17
Nanna Jo
"The cricket bat is mightier than the pen and the sword combined."

H.P.: 24/24
S.D.C.: 38/38
Armor Worn Leather Riding Suit (Padded)
  • A.R.: 12
  • S.D.C.: 35/35
Michael Oscars

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Michael Oscars »

Perception: 20% / 1D100 = 73%
JIC: 1D20 : 20,
Condition: +1 vs H.F

Michael stays by the door for a while waiting to see if there is anyone coming behind them. He then goes to the side of the building to see if the situation. Maybe we can cut through the park or go offroad to try and get outta town. "How do your vehicles handle offroad?" He asks everyone while looking for a way out.

Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20: 17,
1. Dodge/Shot(Depend on if he on the offense or defense): 1d20: [19 + 3 Dodge]/[ 19 + 0 Shot] = 20/19, Damage: 4d6: [1,3 ,3, 4] = 11,
2. Dodge: 1d20: [14 +3] = 17,
4. Shot(Headshot if who ever it is is still attacking): 1d20: [4] = 4, Damage: 4d6: [1, 2, 2, 1] = 6,
User avatar
Nanna Jo
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Nanna Jo »

((Rolls carried))
Michael Oscars wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:00 am He then goes to the side of the building to see if the situation. Maybe we can cut through the park or go offroad to try and get outta town. "How do your vehicles handle offroad?" He asks everyone while looking for a way out.
Nanna Jo grins broadly when she thinks of her long love affair with motorbikes. "Back home I've got a couple bikes I customised myself, but here I've just gotta hired jobby for touring the country. But it's a ripper of a bike on the offroad and adventure riding." She winks at Michael, "Nothing tops a V-strom. You can ride with me if you like."

Nodding at Dylan, she adds, "Snoopy's gotta a truck on the same level. 8th. If it's a monster truck I wouldn't be shocked."
OOC Comments
During the introductions, I can't spot where Dylan gave us his name. So he might just be the man of mystery at the moment? Jo's gonna call him Snoopy, because the first thing she heard out of him was the motha' truckin snoopy poppy doggy gangsta rap impression. Yo yo!
She considers the situation a moment. "I'm hoping those nutters are just coming from the hospital and it's not a bigger mess than that. Otherwise, yeah, buggering off and going offroad is a fair thought."

Nanna Jo had put it right out of her mind till now, but peering through the windows, she wondered just how bad it all is. Can't be everywhere surely. Well not back home at least. The boys will be right, no matter what. Thinking of the men her boys had become, and the hardships they'd all survived over the years, she sighs rather bitterly, and keeps her eyes fixed on the streets below. Just long enough to master herself once more.

Yeah they'll be right. They're tougher than I am.
Nanna Jo
"The cricket bat is mightier than the pen and the sword combined."

H.P.: 24/24
S.D.C.: 38/38
Armor Worn Leather Riding Suit (Padded)
  • A.R.: 12
  • S.D.C.: 35/35
User avatar
Dylan Sowell
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Dylan Sowell »

(rolls held over)
Michael Oscars wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:00 am"How do your vehicles handle offroad?" He asks everyone while looking for a way out.
Nanna Jo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:20 amNodding at Dylan, she adds, "Snoopy's gotta a truck on the same level. 8th. If it's a monster truck I wouldn't be shocked."
Dylan shrugs at Michael's question, "It's a truck. Got a few security features, but other than that, it...handles like a truck. Keep the speed down and I can take it across farmland easy enough. Still, getting out of town is likely gonna be the big ask. Hope I'm wrong, but I see what you're hinting at, and yeah, the freeways just might be screwed, too."
To Nanna he adds, "It's Dylan, ma'am, Dylan Sowell. My grandfather is the Stanford economist on my Dad's side. Dad was an Army Ranger, so fell kinda far from the tree. Grandpa never seemed to show anything but pride though. Flashy things like monster trucks always get looked down upon in the family & faith. Would stand out too much to be wise or practical in my line of work anyway."
He gives Lynn a gentle elbow nudge. "How about you, ma'am? You have a rental like Nanna?"
My Linktree Page
Dylan Sowell
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
User avatar
Lynn Jacobs
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Lynn Jacobs »

((Rolls held over))

When medical supplies and vehicles come up in conversation, Lynn tells the group, "Like I said earlier, I have an SUV on the 9th floor of the garage. It handles dirt and gravel roads pretty well. I'm a country vet, and I have some medical supplies in the back for house calls. They would work in a pinch if someone needed emergency aid, but do you really think it's that bad?"
Lynn Jacobs
“We'd stared into the face of Death, and Death blinked first. You'd think that would make us feel brave and invincible. It didn't.” - Rick Yancey, The 5th Wave
Michael Oscars

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Michael Oscars »

((Rolls carried over))
Lynn Jacobs wrote

"Like I said earlier, I have an SUV on the 9th floor of the garage. It handles dirt and gravel roads pretty well. I'm a country vet, and I have some medical supplies in the back for house calls. They would work in a pinch if someone needed emergency aid, but do you really think it's that bad?"
"I'm not sure how bad it is nor how bad it's going to get. I'm just making sure that we have all our options on the table. Plus I've been meaning too check out my truck's off-road performance." He adds the joke at the end to lighten the mood.
Nanna Jo wrote

She winks at Michael, "Nothing tops a V-strom. You can ride with me if you like."
Michael chuckles "Maybe someday I'll take you up on that offer but I think an enclosed space is the best in this situation."
User avatar
The Governor
Dimension Master
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by The Governor »

Location: New Orleans, Louisiana - The Saenger, Stairwell, 10th Floor Bridge to Hotel pool and green space (aka garage roof)
Date: April 1st
Time: 1:30 pm
Weather: partly cloudy, 86º

The group assesses they situation from the windows of the enclosed walkway:
Southwest, your view is impeded by floors 10 through 20 of the hotel.
Northeast, you have a pretty good view of the city but no read detail as the garage blocks the view of the surrounding street. The cityscape itself seems normal.
Southeast, framed in by the garage and hotel, you have a limited view of the street. Traffic is backed up going to the right but the opposite side of the street is clear with a car occasionally speeding away to the northeast.
Northwest, this view is also framed in by the garage and hotel. The street is clogged with cars on both sides and the pedestrians you see are all running to the Northeast, away from the hotel. At one point Lynn sees a person in a hospital gown leap forward and tackle someone. As they fall to the ground they pass out of sight, except for one leg which twitches for a few moments and then goes still.
Lynn wrote:“Does anything look out of the ordinary?”
Dylan wrote:"Kevin, what's in that locked cabinet?"
Kevin gives a shrug and says, "Looks normal to me. The cabinet has towels and bottled water in it mostly. Maybe some lost and found items too. Shouldn't be locked." He moves around to the other side of the desk and opens the cabinet. Sure enough, its filled with spare towels and a few cases worth of 8oz bottled water. After opening the cabinet, he turns and looks under the counter. Making a face, "Down here there's a laundry bag with dirty towels and a couple of bus tubs. Looks like someone ordered breakfast by the pool. Ah!" Kevin ducks down behind the counter for a second and when he comes up he sets a red and white first aid kit on the counter. "Look what I found." Inspecting the first aid kit it looks like you could get 5 good uses out of it before exhausting its contents.

Meanwhile, Remy had parked his van up the street from the Saenger hotel and booked a room so that he could keep an eye on his mark. Lingering after a working lunch by the pool, his cell phone containing several new video files of the politician frolicking with one of his mistresses in the water, he sits under a canopy finishing off the steak he had ordered for lunch and enjoying the now empty area. Though about ten minutes ago the hotel guy from the service desk walked past, headed toward the far side of the green space with a pack of cigarettes in his hand.

Josh was having a day he'd never forget, though he'd probably wish he could. A likely break up with his fiancee. Then stuck in traffic when he receives a call saying that school had been cancelled for the day. Thinking about where to go now that home was off limits for the time being, Josh drove around some thinking and while stopped to have some lunch he settle on heading across town to his parents house. Traffic was being relentless this afternoon as he sat in his car and dwelt on the conversation he had with Jenny. He didn't notice the first guy on the street running back they way he had just come but when a woman in a hospital gown smashed the window of a car a few cars ahead of him and crawled in, the screams snapped him back into the now. Looking up he saw people scattering, abandoning their cars and running back the way the way they had just come. Josh's car was blocked in, climbing out he grabbed his equipment bag and joined the fleeing crowd. Seeing people get knocked about and almost slamming into a telephone pole as he hurried to get a look behind him while he ran, Josh decided to cut into a parking garage and get off the street for a while. The garage it was fairly empty, at least on the street level, though there were echos of honks and screeching tire coming from the floors above him. Spotting the stairwell door, Josh hurried in and closed it hard behind him, which is where he finds himself now. It a nondescript concrete stairwell with a steel handrail leading up.
User avatar
Remy
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:23 am

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Remy »

Perception: d%: [15] = 15 | 53%
JIC: 1d20: [2] = 2 | d%: [28] = 28
Conditions: +1 vs HF, +1 vs psi/insanity

With his job complete, Remy spends some leisurely time pool-side initially trying to plan out the rest of his day and where he should go for dinner. His efforts are thwarted however as he notices that the shelter-in-place order from last night is still active. Does this have something to do with the Wave? he thinks to himself as he starts down the rabbit hole of internet searching ((see skill rolls)).

Beyond what the news reports are putting out, Remy is looking for primary sources (videos or pictures) of footage at or near the overloaded medical facilities. Should he come across any, he will scrutinize the media with a discerning eye. Not exactly a disease specialist, he would nonetheless recognize signs of violence that would be incoherently matched with illness alone. Not having been privy to the violence downstairs in the lobby, Remy may likely still come to a similar conclusion as to those who did, should he find enough evidence online. Likewise, Remy may conclude that there is a general sense of panic in the population.

Wary by nature and detail-oriented by trade, should Remy conclude that people from the hospital are committing acts of horrific violence on the general populace, he will stay put, continuing his online research for as long as he can. His work will shift to pulling up Google maps in order to figure out alternative route out of the major population center he is currently in.

"Oh shit," Remy remarks to himself as he sees their current proximity to the University Hospital Center mentioned in the news. Whatever this 'Wave' is might come crashing down on the Saenger Theatre. I've got to either get ahead of it, or somehow batten down and wait until it passes. Probably the former rather than the latter. Damn, should have made buying those masks or respirators a bigger priority.

It is very likely that when the others reach the pool area, they will see Remy still sitting on a lounge chair working intently on his laptop computer. He will strike a blissfully unaware individual, dressed in a short-sleeved collared shirt and denim blue jeans. A half-drunk glass of cranberry juice with a straw in it and plate mostly devoid of food, sitting beside him on a small table. He shares his lounge seat with a messenger bag and a rolling suitcase is parked on the ground next to him.

"Hi, I'm Remy!" he will greet naively (with hands upraised if approached with guns drawn), "What seems to be the fuss?"

Once given the details about what happened downstairs, Remy will share, "Uh, the fella that was at the service station and brought me my food and drink went out there to smoke I think." He points toward the green space, "maybe 10 minutes ago or so? Hasn't come back." After a brief pause, he will invite himself into the group, "Looks like y'all have a good set of heads on your persons... mind if I tag along? My work van is parked on the street."


Skill rolls:
  • Research. d%: [31] = 31 | 78% <== Look up information online about "the Wave".
  • Crime Scene Investigation. d%: [65] = 65 | 73% <== If he comes across any media (social or traditional) postings similar to what happened downstairs. Evaluate any online videos or pictures to try to gain insight on "the Wave" ((since he has yet to witness the carnage first-hand. He still thinks that there is simply some manner of unknown disease overloading the hospitals. Seeing throats ripped out, blood splatter, etc. would quickly set him on the right path.))
  • Roadwise. d%: [36] = 36 | 67% <== Plan out alternative routes outside of their current vicinity and into less population dense areas outside the city.
Combat (if necessary):
Initiative: 1d20: [7] = 7
APM: 4
Action 1: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [8]+3 = 11
Action 2: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [19]+3 = 22
Action 3: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [11]+3 = 14
Action 4: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [18]+3 = 21

Parries (if necessary): 1d20+3: [9]+3 = 12 , 1d20+3: [8]+3 = 11 , 1d20+3: [17]+3 = 20 , 1d20+3: [1]+3 = 4
User avatar
Dylan Sowell
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Dylan Sowell »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [27] = 27
JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 / 1d100: [41] = 41
Conditions: +3 v HF, +1 v Toxins;
The Governor wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:57 pmSure enough, its filled with spare towels and a few cases worth of 8oz bottled water...he sets a red and white first aid kit on the counter. "Look what I found." Inspecting the first aid kit it looks like you could get 5 good uses out of it before exhausting its contents.
Dylan grabs the kit without a word and hands it to Lynn. "Didn't you say you're a vet? Could be you might be better with that stuff than any of us."
The Governor wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:57 pmThe group assesses they situation from the windows of the enclosed walkway: Southwest, your view is impeded by floors 10 through 20 of the hotel. Northeast, you have a pretty good view of the city but no read detail as the garage blocks the view of the surrounding street. The cityscape itself seems normal. Southeast, framed in by the garage and hotel, you have a limited view of the street. Traffic is backed up going to the right but the opposite side of the street is clear with a car occasionally speeding away to the northeast. Northwest, this view is also framed in by the garage and hotel. The street is clogged with cars on both sides and the pedestrians you see are all running to the Northeast, away from the hotel. At one point Lynn sees a person in a hospital gown leap forward and tackle someone. As they fall to the ground they pass out of sight, except for one leg which twitches for a few moments and then goes still.
Fuck, what a mess. You'd think the 2020 riots were going down all over again. Given that this seems to be somehow medical in nature...could be this isn't the hyped-up bullshit of the last pandemic, but the real fucking deal like that Dustin Hoffman film from the 90's dad loved so much. Shit, we gonna see the Army quarantine New Orleans? Dylan shares some of his thoughts with the rest. "Well, looks like there's maybe a route out to the Northeast based on what I can see from up here. I suggest we stick together, cover each others' backs, and make our way to the garage and our vehicles." He looks to Nanna, "I'll toss your bike in the back of my truck if you wanna ride with me, ma'am. Least I can do is help see you safely outta the city given that you're a guest in our country."
Remy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:05 pm"Hi, I'm Remy!" he will greet naively (with hands upraised if approached with guns drawn), "What seems to be the fuss?" Once given the details about what happened downstairs, Remy will share, "Uh, the fella that was at the service station and brought me my food and drink went out there to smoke I think." He points toward the green space, "maybe 10 minutes ago or so? Hasn't come back." After a brief pause, he will invite himself into the group, "Looks like y'all have a good set of heads on your persons... mind if I tag along? My work van is parked on the street."
Dylan has his gun out, but he's too well trained to point it at anyone who's not demonstrating themselves to be a threat. "Hi Remy, I'm Dylan, just what the fuck--pardon, ma'am--do you think you're doing? This city seems to be falling apart and you're still just 'surfin' the web'?" Dylan's tone isn't aggressive, but disbelieving. Dylan's eyes narrow momentarily. "You still have signal? Know anything we don't?" At the request to join them, Dylan nods. "If you have a weapon, be ready to use it. Some people look...well, dead on their feet wouldn't be inaccurate, and some behave as though rabid, like biting at you and sh...stuff." He takes a long look around them and adds, "We're headed to the garage. Safety in numbers. That's Mike in back covering our backs. You just keep your eyes peeled and tell us what you know of the sitch while we move. Cool?"
Dylan Sowell wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:47 pm
Contingency in case there's further need of violence:
Initiative: 1d20: [3] = 3
Action 1: Axe Kick (to shove any attacker back). Strike: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage: 2d8+5: [7, 7]+5 = 19
Action 2: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , Damage: 4d6+2: [1, 4, 4, 4]+2 = 15
Action 3: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , Damage: 4d6+2: [3, 1, 3, 6]+2 = 15
Action 4: Axe Kick (to shove any attacker back). Strike: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage: 2d8+5: [3, 7]+5 = 15
Action 5: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , Damage: 4d6+2: [4, 5, 6, 6]+2 = 23
Action 6: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 , Damage: 4d6+2: [3, 1, 3, 4]+2 = 13

Parries (+4 included): 1d20+4: [9]+4 = 13 , 1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7 , 1d20+4: [19]+4 = 23 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17
My Linktree Page
Dylan Sowell
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
User avatar
Lynn Jacobs
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Lynn Jacobs »

Perception: 1d100: [89] = 89 / 25%
JIC: 1d20: [2] = 2 / 1d100: [7] = 7
Conditions: +1 save vs HF

The Saenger, 10th Floor Bridge
The Governor wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:57 pmNorthwest, this view is also framed in by the garage and hotel. The street is clogged with cars on both sides and the pedestrians you see are all running to the Northeast, away from the hotel. At one point Lynn sees a person in a hospital gown leap forward and tackle someone. As they fall to the ground they pass out of sight, except for one leg which twitches for a few moments and then goes still.
“Looks like people are fleeing from something…oh…” Lynn loses her voice as she witnesses a person in a hospital gown take down another person. She slowly backs away from the glass and tries to process the scene taking place 10 floors below them. “There was another murder,” she whispers the group. Is it murder? Do these people realize what they are doing?

When Kevin produces a first aid kit, Lynn gives him a smile of approval. It disappears when Dylan snatches the kit away from the clerk and hands it to her. She inspects the kit’s contents and agrees that it will likely prove useful. Lynn looks to Kevin and offers the kit back to him. “Hotel property…maybe you should hold onto it. We may need it if we run into trouble.” She glances over her shoulder to the northwest, and wonders if a first aid kit would be enough. Maybe if I have an opportunity to act quickly… “Stay close,” she tells Kevin.

When they run into Remy, Lynn will introduce herself and Tarka. She allows Dylan to take the lead, but adds, “The reports from the hospital are pretty grim.” She takes a moment to check her phone for messages and hopes that Mark and her parents are safe.

Should we run into trouble, Lynn will try to get out of the way.
Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20: [11] = 11
1. Dodge: 1d20: [8] = 8
2. Dodge: 1d20: [4] = 4
3. Dodge: 1d20: [2] = 2
4. Dodge: 1d20: [16] = 16
Lynn Jacobs
“We'd stared into the face of Death, and Death blinked first. You'd think that would make us feel brave and invincible. It didn't.” - Rick Yancey, The 5th Wave
User avatar
Remy
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:23 am

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Remy »

((rolls carried over))
Dylan Sowell wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:18 pm "Hi Remy, I'm Dylan, just what the fuck--pardon, ma'am--do you think you're doing? This city seems to be falling apart and you're still just 'surfin' the web'?" Dylan's tone isn't aggressive, but disbelieving. Dylan's eyes narrow momentarily. "You still have signal? Know anything we don't?"

"Hi Dylan," Remy greets in response, arms still upraised. "Wi-fi and internet is still working, so I'm fixin' to figure out what's going on. Also, reviewin' the maps of the neighborhood in the relative quiet of this pool area." He gestures sardonically around the empty area, "Like I said, last person I saw was Thomas, a hotel guy. Went to go smoke outside I think."
Dylan Sowell wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:18 pm "If you have a weapon, be ready to use it. Some people look...well, dead on their feet wouldn't be inaccurate, and some behave as though rabid, like biting at you and sh...stuff." He takes a long look around them and adds, "We're headed to the garage. Safety in numbers. That's Mike in back covering our backs. You just keep your eyes peeled and tell us what you know of the sitch while we move. Cool?"
"Uh... alright. Dead on their feet? Biting? Like, a zombie movie?" Remy stares a moment unbelieving. "I reckon joinin' up with y'all might could be my best chance at survival."

"Hi Mike," he introduces himself to the gentleman in the rear, then echoes the names of others who greet him, "Lynn, Tarka-cutey-pie,". "Guess I'll be part of the gooey soft center of the group." He stands, starting to pack up his things before a thought occurs to him.

"At risk of not becoming a walking horror movie trope, mayhaps we ought to take some time with a map, consider our pathing options and set a rendezvous location in case we get separated?" Remy sets his laptop atop one of the larger tables allowing others to get a better look at the Google maps page that is currently up. "Seems University Medical Center, where news outlets are saying is the center of where folk were getting treated for the wave, but now are attacking others, is to the west by northwest of here. If we assume the assaults are spreading zombie-like from there, we can draw concentric circles, we're going to want to head in a northeasterly direction once we get out of the building. If we zoom out a bit, and search for medical centers, and draw similar circles around them, we can see that New Orleans will be overrun right quick. Too many people. Too many Wave folk at hospitals. Gonna get awful ugly for folk get trapped between the Mississippi and undead horde."

Remy pulls up a route that takes them Northeast of Saenger Theatre up N. Rampart, then along LA-46E, before turning left onto LA-47N, making a right onto Old Gentilly Rd until it merges with US-90E further away from densely populated areas. And concludes at Gulf Coast Paintball

Saenger Theatre to Gulf Coast Paintball - Google Maps.jpg

"I reckon we should get out of the urban area, stay off major highways and major bridges. If there is a flood of people trying to flee, wouldn't take much to jam them up at those bottlenecks. If nobody else has a rendezvous in mind, I recommend Gulf Coast Paintball. Been there a few times to relax between jobs. Nice place, out of the way, some vicious serious kiddos when armed and jacked up on sugar, but a well-stocked if overpriced snack pantry. Wi-fi internet password is easy, "GCPRulez" with a "Z". Once there and safe, we can plot out next steps. Shouldn't be an hour or two tops to get there."

Regardless of whether the group agrees, Remy sets his mind to reaching the paintball facility as his first waystation. Flush up next to a national marsh preserve, he concludes that it should slow down zombies from reaching them for a day or two at least. Enough time to sort out what to do next.

After the map discussion is finished, Remy will pack his computer away in his messenger bag. And stash the steak knife into one of the bag's front pockets before taking his place in middle of the formation with his rolling luggage and messenger bag.
User avatar
Nanna Jo
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Nanna Jo »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [9] = 9
JIC: 1d20: [2] = 2 / 1d100: [92] = 92
Conditions: +1 v HF, +4 v Toxins;
The Governor wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:57 pmThe group assesses they situation from the windows of the enclosed walkway: Southwest, your view is impeded by floors 10 through 20 of the hotel. Northeast, you have a pretty good view of the city but no read detail as the garage blocks the view of the surrounding street. The cityscape itself seems normal. Southeast, framed in by the garage and hotel, you have a limited view of the street. Traffic is backed up going to the right but the opposite side of the street is clear with a car occasionally speeding away to the northeast. Northwest, this view is also framed in by the garage and hotel. The street is clogged with cars on both sides and the pedestrians you see are all running to the Northeast, away from the hotel.
"Strewth. They're running about like headless chooks." Nanna Jo stares at the unfolding scene below with stunned disbelief. Well at least that way seems clear enough.
The Governor wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:57 pmThe group assesses they situation from the windows of the enclosed
At one point Lynn sees a person in a hospital gown leap forward and tackle someone. As they fall to the ground they pass out of sight, except for one leg which twitches for a few moments and then goes still.
Lynn Jacobs wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:27 am “Looks like people are fleeing from something…oh…” Lynn loses her voice as she witnesses a person in a hospital gown take down another person. She slowly backs away from the glass and tries to process the scene taking place 10 floors below them. “There was another murder,” she whispers the group.
A grim realisation suddenly sweeps across her face - a realisation that a fight is coming. "If that many people are running the other way, it's not just one more murder; it's a bloody war." Her eyes sweep over the northeast route to confirm it is clear, then she turns away and faces the group.
Dylan Sowell wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:18 pm "Well, looks like there's maybe a route out to the Northeast based on what I can see from up here. I suggest we stick together, cover each others' backs, and make our way to the garage and our vehicles." He looks to Nanna, "I'll toss your bike in the back of my truck if you wanna ride with me, ma'am. Least I can do is help see you safely outta the city given that you're a guest in our country."
Sounds reasonable. If he gets stuck we can always use the bike instead... just wish we had more bikes. She simply nods in reply. "Alright."
Remy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:05 pm"Hi, I'm Remy!" he will greet naively (with hands upraised if approached with guns drawn), "What seems to be the fuss?" Once given the details about what happened downstairs, Remy will share, "Uh, the fella that was at the service station and brought me my food and drink went out there to smoke I think." He points toward the green space, "maybe 10 minutes ago or so? Hasn't come back." After a brief pause, he will invite himself into the group, "Looks like y'all have a good set of heads on your persons... mind if I tag along? My work van is parked on the street."
"Yeah we're crackin, not a bent screwdriver in sight." Nanna doesn't offer an explanation, though those present in the Lobby would know the meaning. She's more interested in the exits around her, and the possible sounds of more cannibal attackers than the sight of this fruitcake and his empty platter. Dylan will fill in him. I just hope we don't get jumped while hanging about.
Dylan Sowell wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:18 pm Dylan has his gun out, but he's too well trained to point it at anyone who's not demonstrating themselves to be a threat. "Hi Remy, I'm Dylan, just what the fuck--pardon, ma'am--do you think you're doing? This city seems to be falling apart and you're still just 'surfin' the web'?" Dylan's tone isn't aggressive, but disbelieving. Dylan's eyes narrow momentarily. "You still have signal? Know anything we don't?" At the request to join them, Dylan nods. "If you have a weapon, be ready to use it. Some people look...well, dead on their feet wouldn't be inaccurate, and some behave as though rabid, like biting at you and sh...stuff." He takes a long look around them and adds, "We're headed to the garage. Safety in numbers. That's Mike in back covering our backs. You just keep your eyes peeled and tell us what you know of the sitch while we move. Cool?"
Satisfied they aren't about to be ambushed, Nanna Jo turns her attention to the internet guy and blinks incredulously at him. "I was wondering how many galahs were glued to their screens with all this goin' on." She lets Dylan give him the rundown and resumes watching about them for any signs of more troubles from outside finding them in the hotel. We really need to get moving, or else we'll be stuck in this place for good.

If they are attacked, Nanna will let the boys with guns handle things and keep within arm's reach of Kevin and Lynn. Any things that get close to any of them she will try to deal with.

Initiative: 1d20: [3] = 3
Action 1: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [17] = 17 , Damage: 2d4+12: [2, 4]+12 = 18
Action 2: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [1] = 1 , Damage: 2d4+12: [2, 4]+12 = 18
Action 3: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [15] = 15 , Damage: 2d4+12: [3, 4]+12 = 19
Action 4: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [20] = 20 , Damage: 2d4+12: [4, 4]+12 = 20
Action 5: Reserved for Dodge 1d20+3: [15]+3 = 18
Parry rolls: 1d20+3: [19]+3 = 22 , 1d20+3: [16]+3 = 19 , 1d20+3: [20]+3 = 23 , 1d20+3: [20]+3 = 23
Nanna Jo
"The cricket bat is mightier than the pen and the sword combined."

H.P.: 24/24
S.D.C.: 38/38
Armor Worn Leather Riding Suit (Padded)
  • A.R.: 12
  • S.D.C.: 35/35
User avatar
Nanna Jo
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Nanna Jo »

((Rolls carried))
Remy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:18 am "Hi Dylan," Remy greets in response, arms still upraised. "Wi-fi and internet is still working, so I'm fixin' to figure out what's going on. Also, reviewin' the maps of the neighborhood in the relative quiet of this pool area." He gestures sardonically around the empty area, "Like I said, last person I saw was Thomas, a hotel guy. Went to go smoke outside I think."
"The windows work too mate. Just.. " the old lady gestures in an imitation of Remy, "over there. Graphics are pretty tough to top too." How many more blokes are walking around with their heads in bloody screens? I swear half this country send texts to their mate on the same bus.
Remy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:18 am "Uh... alright. Dead on their feet? Biting? Like, a zombie movie?" Remy stares a moment unbelieving. "I reckon joinin' up with y'all might could be my best chance at survival."
"Well on Windows over there that's the show that's playing." she sighs with a raised eyebrow, still pointing to the window with her walking stick. "You could try changing the channel if you like. I'll wait." Not on your nelly I will.

Remy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:18 am "Hi Mike," he introduces himself to the gentleman in the rear, then echoes the names of others who greet him, "Lynn, Tarka-cutey-pie,".
"Nanna Jo" the Australian says while nodding a greeting.
Remy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:18 am "Guess I'll be part of the gooey soft center of the group." He stands, starting to pack up his things before a thought occurs to him.
Nanna Jo stops a moment, looking Remy in the eyes, then laughs. "Yeah you're not wrong mate. Just pay attention to what's going on around you alright?" Soft gooey centre. Oh crickey this'll be a story.
Remy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:18 am "At risk of not becoming a walking horror movie trope, mayhaps we ought to take some time with a map, consider our pathing options and set a rendezvous location in case we get separated?" Remy sets his laptop atop one of the larger tables allowing others to get a better look at the Google maps page that is currently up. "Seems University Medical Center, where news outlets are saying is the center of where folk were getting treated for the wave, but now are attacking others, is to the west by northwest of here. If we assume the assaults are spreading zombie-like from there, we can draw concentric circles, we're going to want to head in a northeasterly direction once we get out of the building. If we zoom out a bit, and search for medical centers, and draw similar circles around them, we can see that New Orleans will be overrun right quick. Too many people. Too many Wave folk at hospitals. Gonna get awful ugly for folk get trapped between the Mississippi and undead horde."
Trope. Mayhaps. Pathing options. Concentric bloody circles. Yeah this bloke probably rolls a lot of dice. "Northeast. Got it. The window was saying the same thing."

After the discussion ends, Nanna politely asks "Can that computer explain why this place is named after a bloody sandwich? I like a sanger as much as the next lady, but you don't name a theatre after one." Her eyes wrinkle from her smile as she jokes, trying to lighten the tension before they make the plunge into the parking lot. Hope the parking lot isn't backed up. Or full of Remy's horror movie characters.
Nanna Jo
"The cricket bat is mightier than the pen and the sword combined."

H.P.: 24/24
S.D.C.: 38/38
Armor Worn Leather Riding Suit (Padded)
  • A.R.: 12
  • S.D.C.: 35/35
User avatar
Josh Murphy
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:13 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Josh Murphy »

Perception: 15% : 1d100: [62] = 62
JIC: 1d20: 1d20: [18] = 18

"What a fucking day." Josh thought to himself as he made his way up the stairwell.

"Is this some kind of terrorist attack? Fucking... ISIS or something." His mind raced as he pulled a bat out of his bat bag.

The reality of the fact that he'd left his car in traffic was only just now starting to sink in, and he'd just finished paying it off, too. Well, first things first. He needed to get his bearings and find out where the hell he was. He continued climbing, bag over his shoulder and leading the way with his bat.
Last edited by Josh Murphy on Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Oscars

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Michael Oscars »

Perception: 83% : 1d100
JIC: 1d20: 20

Michael gives a wave to the new arrival and then continues to watch the team's back. Focusing all his attention on the door they just came through he then takes a few chairs and tries to block the door with them.
User avatar
Lynn Jacobs
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Lynn Jacobs »

((JIC rolls held over))

Skills:
Biology: 1d100: [56] = 56 / 72%
Veterinary Science: 1d100: [45] = 45 / 85%

Rabies? Whilst the group speculates on what is happening with the Wave and how to best leave the city, Lynn can't help working out the medical side of the issue. She looks to be lost in her thoughts as she kneels beside Tarka to scratch her ears. Hm... The hyper behavior seems right, but the incubation period is pretty lengthy and whatever the Wave is, it's hitting multiple cities. Lynn can't quite convince herself that they are dealing with an outbreak of rabies. Zombies don't make sense either. We're not in a movie.
Lynn Jacobs
“We'd stared into the face of Death, and Death blinked first. You'd think that would make us feel brave and invincible. It didn't.” - Rick Yancey, The 5th Wave
User avatar
The Governor
Dimension Master
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by The Governor »

Location: New Orleans, Louisiana - The Saenger, Stairwell, 10th Floor Bridge to Hotel pool and green space (aka garage roof)
Date: April 1st
Time: 1:45 pm
Weather: partly cloudy, 86º

Garage Rook Sketch

Remy sits poolside looking into the trouble that has caused the shelter in place warning. He comes across the same local report that Lynn found not to long ago.
A news report that there was some sort of panic at the hospital just down the road as the talking heads in the news studio go on, they don't seem to have any real information as they lost contact with their field reporter but they show a clip of the field reporter. He starts off with the hospital entrance in the background talking about the Wave and its effect on hospital resources then people start pouring out of the hospital doors. As this continues, the footage starts to get blurry as the cameraman gets jostled back and forth by the crowd hurrying past. Before the image cuts out a loud moan can be heard growing and the screen fills with a shot of what looks like a man with a bloody mouth tackling the reporter.
Then he starts to find similar reports from other metro areas around the country. The one that has him most concerned is out of Washington D.C.

Remy's watching the reports in disbelief when the others push out of the bridge area and onto the garage roof where the pool and green space are. They make some introductions before Remy starts looking at the online map of New Orleans. Most of the hospitals shown have red and orange traffic showing out to 5 or 6 blocks, with a slightly larger area around University Medical Center that goes out about 8 blocks and takes in the Saenger.

While the others talk, Michael blocks up the door leading back to the hotel with a variety of pool furniture.

Aside from Remy, the pool area was clear of people. There is a smattering of nice pool furniture; lounge chairs, and patio type tables and chairs. Planters decorate the area mostly around the perimeter of the roof, though some are scattered here and there to partition off seating areas but none are large enough to obscure someone from sight. At the far side of the roof, slightly off center is a concrete structure with a door that states, 'Fire Stairs -- Alarm will sound if opened'.

Nanna Jo notices that there's a towel wadded up at the door's base, keeping it from shutting all the way.
No one hears any kind of alarm sounding.
Everyone hears faint honks coming up from below them, a few echo which everyone can assume means that they are coming from the garage below them and not the street. Though the noises seem to be slowing in frequency.

------

Baseball bat in hand, Josh makes his way up the garage stairs. The noises coming from above are muted in the concrete stairwell. Making his way up passed the 4th floor landing, Josh rounds the switchback just in time to see the door to the fifth floor burst open and a couple run down passed him hand in hand, eyes wide and pale as a sheet.

Standing on the 5th floor landing, Josh has a few options.


What do you guys do?
User avatar
Dylan Sowell
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Dylan Sowell »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [93] = 93
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 / 1d100: [40] = 40
Conditions: +3 v HF, +1 v Toxins;
Prowl 25%+ / 1d100: [2] = 2 (He's trying to be as sneaky as possible upon approach to & interaction with the door)
Remy wrote:"Uh... alright. Dead on their feet? Biting? Like, a zombie movie?"
Dylan blinks. Yeah, pretty much that's it I guess. Fuck me. Shit...mom & dad! Okay, take it easy Dylan. Dad's trained & always packing, always ready, and mom ain't no shrinking violet herself. They'll keep cool heads. You need to as well. Some of these folks might not make it if you lose your shit. Dylan tries not to let all his internal fear and turmoil make it onto his face or creep into his voice. "Yeah, man. I guess that sounds about right," he says trying to sound as matter-of-fact about it as he can. That's what heroes do in stories, right? Keep their shit together, put on a brave, stoic face, and help lead others through the shit.
GM wrote:Aside from Remy the pool area was clear of people. There is a smattering of nice pool furniture; lounge chairs, and patio type tables and chairs. Planters decorate the area mostly around the perimeter of the roof, though some are scattered here and there to partition off seating areas but none are large enough to obscure someone from sight. At the far side of the roof, slightly off center is a concrete structure with a door that states, 'Fire Stairs -- Alarm will sound if opened'. No one hears any kind of alarm sounding. Everyone hears faint honks coming up from below them, a few echo which everyone can assume means that they are coming from the garage below then and not the street. Though the noises seem to be slowing in frequency.
He says to Nann, "Tend your flock, ma'am. Time for a look-see." Dylan crosses to the ajar stairwell door whose alarm apparently isn't functioning. He listens closely first, taking his time, and in no rush before he edges it open the faintest bit to get an eye on what's inside.
Dylan Sowell wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:47 pm
Contingency in case there's further need of violence:
Initiative: 1d20: [3] = 3
Action 1: Axe Kick (to shove any attacker back). Strike: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage: 2d8+5: [7, 7]+5 = 19
Action 2: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , Damage: 4d6+2: [1, 4, 4, 4]+2 = 15
Action 3: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , Damage: 4d6+2: [3, 1, 3, 6]+2 = 15
Action 4: Axe Kick (to shove any attacker back). Strike: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage: 2d8+5: [3, 7]+5 = 15
Action 5: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , Damage: 4d6+2: [4, 5, 6, 6]+2 = 23
Action 6: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 , Damage: 4d6+2: [3, 1, 3, 4]+2 = 13

Parries (+4 included): 1d20+4: [9]+4 = 13 , 1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7 , 1d20+4: [19]+4 = 23 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17
My Linktree Page
Dylan Sowell
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
User avatar
Lynn Jacobs
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Lynn Jacobs »

Perception: 1d100: [20] = 20 / 25%
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 / 1d100: [15] = 15
Conditions: +1 save vs HF

The Saenger, Rooftop Pool/Greenspace

Lynn decides to give Tarka a few minutes of time off her leash to run about the greenspace. She keeps a close eye on her dog, but still engages the group as they make a plan. “It sounds like it’s getting quieter; people are leaving,” Lynn says, indicating the garage with a nod of her head. “Do you think it’s safe to find our cars? And when we do, do we stay together to get out of the city, or do we go our separate ways?” There’s safety in numbers, right?

Should we run into trouble, Lynn will call Tarka back to her side and try to get out of the way.
Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20: [15] = 15
1. Dodge: 1d20: [15] = 15
2. Dodge: 1d20: [18] = 18
3. Dodge: 1d20: [10] = 10
4. Dodge: 1d20: [18] = 18
Lynn Jacobs
“We'd stared into the face of Death, and Death blinked first. You'd think that would make us feel brave and invincible. It didn't.” - Rick Yancey, The 5th Wave
User avatar
Remy
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:23 am

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Remy »

Perception: d%: [36] = 36 | 53%
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 | d%: [84] = 84
Conditions: +1 vs HF, +1 vs psi/insanity
Nanna Jo wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:18 pm"Nanna Jo" the Australian says while nodding a greeting.
Remy smiles politely and inclines his head with respect in return. "Nice to make your acquaintance."
Nanna Jo wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:18 pm"Can that computer explain why this place is named after a bloody sandwich? I like a sanger as much as the next lady, but you don't name a theatre after one."
"Saenger? Fascinating story that one." Remy chimes in, "A bit of local legends up in Shreveport near where I grew up. This theatre is named after the remnants of the 'Saenger Amusement Company'. Two brothers, Julian Henri and Abraham, originally opened up a pharmacy, but later poured their proceeds into their true passion, film in the early 1910s. A true kick-back to the glamour of the Golden Twenties... at its height, they owned about 300 movie theaters across the south. But some suspected they were over-leveraged and the company was absolutely wiped out by the Great Depression in the 1930s. There's been some conspiracy theories behind their dramatic fall and subsequent mysterious death of Julian Henri Saenger... But I suppose that can be a topic for later... if you're interested." He smiles broadly at Nanna Jo, seemingly glad to be of service to shedding light on the tiny mystery of the "sanger".
The Governor wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:07 pm
A news report that there was some sort of panic at the hospital just down the road as the talking heads in the news studio go on, they don't seem to have any real information as they lost contact with their field reporter but they show a clip of the field reporter. He starts off with the hospital entrance in the background talking about the Wave and its effect on hospital resources then people start pouring out of the hospital doors. As this continues, the footage starts to get blurry as the cameraman gets jostled back and forth by the crowd hurrying past. Before the image cuts out a loud moan can be heard growing and the screen fills with a shot of what looks like a man with a bloody mouth tackling the reporter.
Then he starts to find similar reports from other metro areas around the country. The one that has him most concerned is out of Washington D.C.
When Remy comes across these reports, he quickly activates his desktop movie recorder and saves his findings onto a video file locally. Not sure how long they might continue to have internet for, he wishes to maintain a recording for posterity's sake (and in case he doesn't make it).
Nanna Jo wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:18 pm"Northeast. Got it. The window was saying the same thing."
Concerned about the traffic delays showcased on his online research, Remy is forced to agree with Nanna Jo, "Not a bad idea, checking with my own eyes." And once they are out on the greenspace above the garage, Remy will steal a glance out toward the Northeast. Primarily, he wants to confirm that if they get out by car, they actually have a path to exit. "I reckon, the first ones to break the law and drive on the wrong side of the road'll be the ones that can get out of this hellish mess." God knows I sure intend to.
The Governor wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:07 pmNo one hears any kind of alarm sounding.
Everyone hears faint honks coming up from below them, a few echo which everyone can assume means that they are coming from the garage below then and not the street. Though the noises seem to be slowing in frequency.
Turning his attention to the parking structure they need to traverse, Remy cocks his head and listens to the quieting cacophony. "Mayhaps folk are getting out of the garage. If so, let's high-tail it out right behind them! Alternative is that the route out by car is all gummed up and zombies are having themselves a meal. If that's the case, we might need to have a plan for how to create an opening to exit the parking structure. Short of some TNT or composition B, we might need to get innovative."

His gaze then falls to the non-functioning fire alarm. "Say, any chance we can take this with us?" Remy asks, pointing at the alarm box, "I reckon if I can wire it up, might be a useful distraction to get us out of a tight spot." He then beams Nanna Jo a broad smile while miming dislodging the box through brandishing her mighty stick.
Lynn Jacobs wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:21 am“It sounds like it’s getting quieter; people are leaving,” Lynn says, indicating the garage with a nod of her head. “Do you think it’s safe to find our cars? And when we do, do we stay together to get out of the city, or do we go our separate ways?”
"I think the only thing that makes sense is for us to leave the city by vehicle convoy. Anything else might be too slow or otherwise bog us down in the city... which, if this is a zombie apocalypse... would be a death sentence." Remy shrugs as he offers his opinion on the matter.

Once the group moves into the garage, Remy remains in the center of the formation, allowing others to go in front and yet others to guard the rear. He will keep his head on a swivel however, and call out any dangers he sees.

Combat (if necessary):
Initiative: 1d20: [18] = 18
APM: 4
Action 1: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [1]+3 = 4
Action 2: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [6]+3 = 9
Action 3: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [10]+3 = 13
Action 4: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [3]+3 = 6

Parries (if necessary): 1d20+3: [6]+3 = 9 , 1d20+3: [16]+3 = 19 , 1d20+3: [8]+3 = 11 , 1d20+3: [7]+3 = 10
User avatar
Nanna Jo
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Nanna Jo »

Perception: 15% / 1d100<=15: [19] = 0
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 / 1d100: [23] = 23
Conditions: +1 v HF, +4 v Toxins;
Remy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:24 am "Saenger? Fascinating story that one." Remy chimes in, "A bit of local legends up in Shreveport near where I grew up. This theatre is named after the remnants of the 'Saenger Amusement Company'. Two brothers, Julian Henri and Abraham, originally opened up a pharmacy, but later poured their proceeds into their true passion, film in the early 1910s. A true kick-back to the glamour of the Golden Twenties... at its height, they owned about 300 movie theaters across the south. But some suspected they were over-leveraged and the company was absolutely wiped out by the Great Depression in the 1930s. There's been some conspiracy theories behind their dramatic fall and subsequent mysterious death of Julian Henri Saenger... But I suppose that can be a topic for later... if you're interested." He smiles broadly at Nanna Jo, seemingly glad to be of service to shedding light on the tiny mystery of the "sanger".
Crikey mate, it was a joke. Nanna Jo's face remains impassive throughout the story. "That's nice dear."
Remy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:24 am Concerned about the traffic delays showcased on his online research, Remy is forced to agree with Nanna Jo, "Not a bad idea, checking with my own eyes." And once they are out on the greenspace above the garage, Remy will steal a glance out toward the Northeast. Primarily, he wants to confirm that if they get out by car, they actually have a path to exit. "I reckon, the first ones to break the law and drive on the wrong side of the road'll be the ones that can get out of this hellish mess."
Nanna Jo's eyes are speculative and she absently buttons up her leather riding jacket. Time to go I reckon. "Yeah if I was stuck in that mess I'd chuck a uey and tear off on the wrong side."
Remy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:24 am His gaze then falls to the non-functioning fire alarm. "Say, any chance we can take this with us?" Remy asks, pointing at the alarm box, "I reckon if I can wire it up, might be a useful distraction to get us out of a tight spot." He then beams Nanna Jo a broad smile while miming dislodging the box through brandishing her mighty stick.
The elderly Australian looks doubtfully at the alarm box. "If you want a portable noise machine, just nick some smoke alarms from the ceiling. Every room has got to have one." She smiles. "Just press the test button to set it off, no need to bother with smoke." She suddenly laughs at a memory that comes to mind, and adds, "The button's also brilliant at waking stubborn teens. My boys copped a couple serves growing up."

She glances about at the ceilings, looking for the little units she had in her own place in Cooma. "Can't run a business back home without installing them. Run on batteries that last all year, they gotta, grid power's no good if the place is burning up."

If she doesn't spot any, she frowns at Kevin. "You do have smoke alarms in the hotel right? I thought they'd be the same everywhere."

If there's smoke alarms on the ceiling, Nanna will take a couple down. She'll hand one to Remy and keep another for herself. In her experience they're easily detached as you're supposed to change the batteries regularly. If Kevin objects, Nanna will reply, "If everything turns out hunky dory after today, you just tell your manager and they can bill me. Joanne Cameron. All good mate." They're only worth about ten bucks a pop.

If the alarm box looks detachable, Nanna will take it down with her stick. If it isn't detachable, Nanna will get a firm grip on it, and tear it off the wall. Either way she then hands it to Remy with a smile, "For you." Dunno why he would wouldn't get it himself. Bad neck from all that internetting maybe? Probably half blind too.

Remy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:24 am "I think the only thing that makes sense is for us to leave the city by vehicle convoy. Anything else might be too slow or otherwise bog us down in the city... which, if this is a zombie apocalypse... would be a death sentence." Remy shrugs as he offers his opinion on the matter.

Once the group moves into the garage, Remy remains in the center of the formation, allowing others to go in front and yet others to guard the rear. He will keep his head on a swivel however, and call out any dangers he sees.
"Anyone got some walkie-talkies? Would help with us not all in the one car." She turns to Kevin. "Hotel staff usually have them don't they? We should grab a couple is none of yas have em already."

If there's trouble, Nanna will let the boys to the shooting. If anything gets close to Lynn, Kevin and Co. she'll brain it:

Initiative: 1d20: [15] = 15
Action 1: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [15] = 15 , Damage: 2d4+12: [1, 4]+12 = 17
Action 2: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [1] = 1 , Damage: 2d4+12: [3, 2]+12 = 17
Action 3: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [19] = 19 , Damage: 2d4+12: [3, 2]+12 = 17
Action 4: Reserved for Dodge 1d20+3: [2]+3 = 5
Action 5: Reserved for Dodge 1d20+3: [5]+3 = 8
Parry rolls: 1d20+3: [18]+3 = 21 , 1d20+3: [3]+3 = 6 , 1d20+3: [14]+3 = 17 , 1d20+3: [13]+3 = 16 , 1d20+3: [2]+3 = 5
Nanna Jo
"The cricket bat is mightier than the pen and the sword combined."

H.P.: 24/24
S.D.C.: 38/38
Armor Worn Leather Riding Suit (Padded)
  • A.R.: 12
  • S.D.C.: 35/35
User avatar
Lynn Jacobs
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Lynn Jacobs »

((Rolls held over))
Remy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:24 am "I think the only thing that makes sense is for us to leave the city by vehicle convoy. Anything else might be too slow or otherwise bog us down in the city... which, if this is a zombie apocalypse... would be a death sentence." Remy shrugs as he offers his opinion on the matter.
Lynn politely ignores Remy’s talk about zombies. This isn’t a movie, she decides for herself. Instead, Lynn confirms the plan. “Okay, so we stick together. Who leads the convoy?” Lynn looks between Remy and Dylan, clearly waiting for one of them to volunteer. “You have directions,” she says to Remy. “But you seem to be the most…prepared for this sort of thing,” she directs to Dylan. “I suppose we ought to work our way down the garage to retrieve our vehicles. I'm parked on the 9th level.”
Nanna Jo wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:44 pm "Anyone got some walkie-talkies? Would help with us not all in the one car." She turns to Kevin. "Hotel staff usually have them don't they? We should grab a couple is none of yas have em already."
Uncomfortable with the idea of stealing hotel property, Lynn speaks up. “Do you really think the situation requires us to steal from the hotel?” She glances back at Kevin, hoping he’ll say something too.
Lynn Jacobs
“We'd stared into the face of Death, and Death blinked first. You'd think that would make us feel brave and invincible. It didn't.” - Rick Yancey, The 5th Wave
User avatar
Remy
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:23 am

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Remy »

((rolls carried over))
Lynn Jacobs wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:07 am“Okay, so we stick together. Who leads the convoy?” Lynn looks between Remy and Dylan, clearly waiting for one of them to volunteer. “You have directions,” she says to Remy. “But you seem to be the most…prepared for this sort of thing,” she directs to Dylan. “I suppose we ought to work our way down the garage to retrieve our vehicles. I'm parked on the 9th level.”
"Lead?" Remy asks incredulously, "Not me. Gooey soft center, remember?" With that, he moves on, thinking the matter completely resolved.

"We should gather up the vehicles. Might be though that others got themselves... stuck. So we need to be ready to clear blocking vehicles. Is that thing people do in the movies... put a brick on the accelerator, revving the engines before kicking it into drive... real?" Remy looks around in eager askance.
User avatar
Nanna Jo
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Nanna Jo »

((Rolls carried))
Lynn Jacobs wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:07 am Uncomfortable with the idea of stealing hotel property, Lynn speaks up. “Do you really think the situation requires us to steal from the hotel?” She glances back at Kevin, hoping he’ll say something too.
Nanna Jo looks at Lynn a long moment. A trace of bitterness hardens her tone. "Don't be silly. Banks are thieves, not us." What those bastards did to my poor Mal. For a moment she relives thoughts of her late husband, who shot himself in a paddock. They all had been driven to despair with debt and drought. She tries to force it all away as she turns to Kevin. "Kevin hangs onto one walkie in one car, others for other cars. When it's safe to get home, we can hand them over to Kevin, or a copper or the hotel boss for all I care. The safety for us hotel patrons comes first." After a moment, she adds. "If not, they can bill me for that too. You know what, I'll even add a little note." Probably find them at one of those staff desks I reckon.

If hotel walkies can be found, Nanna will retrieve them and hand one to Kevin, keep one for herself. If more are available she will ensure one is available for each vehicle group if possible. If chargers are needed, she'll make off with them too.

She will also write a note. Her penmanship is an elegant flowing running letter that is finished in a few moments. Reads the text aloud as she writes. Couldn't care less what management thinks, but if it makes everyone happy and gives Kevin a little confidence.... This she leaves in the place the walkies were found.


Dear Hotel Management,

It appears a riot is taking place outside so we're checking out. I have borrowed some of your walkies to help get a group of your patrons to a safe place in or out of the city. Please bill be if I cannot return them in a timely manner.

Regards,

Joanne Cameron.

PS: Your staff member Kevin has done an outstanding job and is helping us find a safe place. You ought to promote the lad.


Remy wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:36 am "Lead?" Remy asks incredulously, "Not me. Gooey soft center, remember?" With that, he moves on, thinking the matter completely resolved.

"We should gather up the vehicles. Might be though that others got themselves... stuck. So we need to be ready to clear blocking vehicles. Is that thing people do in the movies... put a brick on the accelerator, revving the engines before kicking it into drive... real?" Remy looks around in eager askance.
"You watch a lot of BoobTube don't ya?" That's what it's called right? At least that's what my boys told me. Without waiting for a reply, she points to Dylan. "Dylan and I will ride in his truck up front. I'll have my bike in the back along with anyone who isn't fussy about wind in their hair."

She considers the notion of cars blocking their path. "I'd rather a tractor, but if a car's abandoned and blocking the way maybe Dylan's car can shove it away. Or we can pull it.." She raises an eyebrow at Dylan, "if he's got a decent tow cable?"

She looks at them seriously. "And on the road, don't bunch up like a pack of lonely galahs. If we need to back up, we don't want your car right up our arse. Had that sort of thing during bushfires, give it some space incase we find ourselves down the wrong road and need to turn about." Turning to Lynn she adds, "And that's why borrowed walkies would be nice, so you know what's up ahead from us and what the plan is. I'm too old to stick my head out a window and yell. Nothing I say now is a sure thing because we're clueless about what we're going to find out there. The plan will have to change as we go. Everyone clear?"
Nanna Jo
"The cricket bat is mightier than the pen and the sword combined."

H.P.: 24/24
S.D.C.: 38/38
Armor Worn Leather Riding Suit (Padded)
  • A.R.: 12
  • S.D.C.: 35/35
Michael Oscars

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Michael Oscars »

Perception: 20% / 1D100 = 14%
JIC: 1D20 : 14,
Condition: +1 vs H.F

Michael starts making his way to the garage door, he takes a peek through the door to check if there is any murdurous people in there. If he sees none he prompts everyone to follow him. Its best we don't stay in one place for too long. This thing could just be getting starting and getting worse by the second. The longer we wait here the more problems we'll encounter out there.

"The longer we stay here the more problems we'll have when you get outside. It's best we keep moving, this thing could just be getting started. Here is my plan, we start on the nineth floor garage everyone from there gets their cars and drives the rest to their cars just to be safe and then we all drive off in a convoy as our friend here suggested. Maybe we should go with the heavy duty ones in the front and the least durable in the back. I think we only have one walkie talky between all of us so i suggest we use ourturn signals to communicate"

He takes a mimute to think.
"Then again if all of us had a bluetooth modulator we could use it as a sort of walkie talkie" muttering to himself.

Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20: 9,
1. Dodge: 1d20: [14 + 3 Dodge] = 17,
2. Dodge: 1d20: [15 +3] = 18,
3. Shot: 1d20: [9] = 9, Damage: 4d6: [5 1 5 6] = 17,
4. Dodge: 1d20: [11 +3] = 14,
User avatar
Dylan Sowell
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Dylan Sowell »

(rolls held over; all the following to take place before checking the door)
Lynn Jacobs wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:21 am“It sounds like it’s getting quieter; people are leaving. Do you think it’s safe to find our cars? And when we do, do we stay together to get out of the city, or do we go our separate ways?”
Dylan cocks an eye at Lynn and says simply. "Safety in numbers."
Remy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:24 am"I reckon, the first ones to break the law and drive on the wrong side of the road'll be the ones that can get out of this hellish mess. Mayhaps folk are getting out of the garage. If so, let's high-tail it out right behind them! Alternative is that the route out by car is all gummed up and zombies are having themselves a meal. If that's the case, we might need to have a plan for how to create an opening to exit the parking structure. Short of some TNT or composition B, we might need to get innovative. I think the only thing that makes sense is for us to leave the city by vehicle convoy. Anything else might be too slow or otherwise bog us down in the city... which, if this is a zombie apocalypse... would be a death sentence."
Zombie apocalypse? That's movie nonsense. I don't know what the fuck this pathogen is, but...aw shit, I'm rationalizing what I've seen. Yeah, regardless the source the consequence seems no different: zombies. "Hopefully, this is a localized outbreak of whatever the heck this is. Anyway, Nanna's got the right idea."
Nanna Jo wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:44 pmThe elderly Australian looks doubtfully at the alarm box. "If you want a portable noise machine, just nick some smoke alarms from the ceiling. Every room has got to have one. Just press the test button to set it off, no need to bother with smoke."
Dylan mimics the "Roll Safe" meme by tapping his temple with his free hand then points at Nanna. That's one smart, resourceful old lady. I'm keeping her old bones at my back.
Remy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:24 am"I think the only thing that makes sense is for us to leave the city by vehicle convoy. Anything else might be too slow or otherwise bog us down in the city... which, if this is a zombie apocalypse... would be a death sentence."
Dylan nods in agreement.
Lynn Jacobs wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:07 am“Okay, so we stick together. Who leads the convoy?” Lynn looks between Remy and Dylan, clearly waiting for one of them to volunteer. “You have directions,” she says to Remy. “But you seem to be the most…prepared for this sort of thing,” she directs to Dylan. “I suppose we ought to work our way down the garage to retrieve our vehicles. I'm parked on the 9th level.”
Dylan checks his gear almost out of nervous reflex. "I'm a YouTuber. I create content for 'Preppers.' My whole shtick is urban prepping. Military family, Mormons. I was kinda raised to survive in bad situations. We get my truck on the open road and we'll be fairly safe...and heavily armed."
Remy wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:36 am"We should gather up the vehicles. Might be though that others got themselves... stuck. So we need to be ready to clear blocking vehicles. Is that thing people do in the movies... put a brick on the accelerator, revving the engines before kicking it into drive... real?"
Dylan simply shakes his head. "Never put faith in or rely on tricks--especially Hollywood bullshit. That's created to look cool as people eat popcorn, not actually work."
Nanna Jo wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:56 pm"Dylan and I will ride in his truck up front. I'll have my bike in the back along with anyone who isn't fussy about wind in their hair." She considers the notion of cars blocking their path. "I'd rather a tractor, but if a car's abandoned and blocking the way maybe Dylan's car can shove it away. Or we can pull it.." She raises an eyebrow at Dylan, "if he's got a decent tow cable?"
Dylan shrugs, "I can't recall what all is in the secure bed other than guns and ammo. Lotsa useful stuff though. Nylon and canvass firehoses function well enough for short-use tow cables. Did a video on that even."
Michael Oscars wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:19 pm"The longer we stay here the more problems we'll have when you get outside. It's best we keep moving, this thing could just be getting started."
Dylan nods. "You ain't wrong. It's time we get moving."
My Linktree Page
Dylan Sowell
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
User avatar
The Governor
Dimension Master
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by The Governor »

Location: New Orleans, Louisiana - The Saenger, Stairwell, 10th Floor Bridge to Hotel pool and green space (aka garage roof)
Date: April 1st
Time: 1:55 pm
Weather: partly cloudy, 86º

Garage Rook Sketch


Lynn lets Tarka off the leash. The dog wanders around the green space sniffing here and there before having a pee and then wandering around some more. The discussion flows for a little while when Remy suggests taking the alarm box off the fire door, unfortunately the alarm is built into the three foot long push bar on the door and seems to be made out of steel. Nanna Jo mentions the smoke detectors in the hotel rooms and everyone looks back to the doors leading out from the hotel, that Michael blocked off with some of the pool furniture.

When the talk turns to walkie talkies, Kevin shrugs and shakes his head, "I was working the front desk, so I had the phone. The only staff that usually carry a walkie are maintenance, security and a few of the people in housekeeping. I'm sure we could find some, but we'd have to go back inside the hotel." He looks over his shoulder at the block doors, "Damnit, I shoulda grabbed a few bottles of water from the desk back there."

The group goes on to confirm that they should all stick together as long as possible and that getting their vehicles out of the parking garage is the next step in their plan. Though Lynn gives a slight protest about taking hotel property.

After the general plans are made, Dylan and Michael make their way toward the propped open fire door leading to the garage stairwell.

Lynn, Remy and Michael can see a set of keys hanging from the fire door.
Kevin curses and says, "No wonder he wasn't at the desk. Tom must have snuck out for a smoke break. I can see his Mach Five emblem hanging from the key ring on the door there."
Dylan doesn't notice the keys until he's at the door.

Dylan and Michael both peek though the crack of the propped open fire door. Dylan and Michael don't see anything besides an empty top floor landing. Though Michael happens to spot a pack of cigarettes laying at the top step with a lighter resting on top and a half ground out cigarette butt still smoldering next to it.

All of a sudden there is the sound of a loud crash from below, though no horn or screeching skid of tires proceeded it.


What are you all doing?
User avatar
Josh Murphy
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:13 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Josh Murphy »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [100] = 100
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 1d100: [27] = 27
Josh nearly has a heart attack as the couple burst through the door and bolt past him. They are already probably out of ear shot when he finally manages to squeak out a pitiful response. "H-hey! What the hell is going..." His shoulders sag. "...on?"

Turning back towards the slowly closing door, Josh grips his baseball bat in both hands, turning his knuckles white. Damn... I could have told them that there is some kind of shit storm brewing outside. Josh makes his way slowly towards the door. As he approaches, he grabs the handle with one hand, bat readied in the other and pulls it open. Before entering, he manages a shaky inquiry.

"H-hello? Anyone there?"

You moron. He thought to himself. You think if there really was a fucking psycho on the other side of the door, they'd answer you? Way to give yourself away. Josh shook his head and peeked in through the opening.
User avatar
Remy
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:23 am

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Remy »

Perception: d%: [79] = 79 | 53%
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 | d%: [33] = 33
Conditions: +1 vs HF, +1 vs psi/insanity
Nanna Jo wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:56 pm"You watch a lot of BoobTube don't ya?"
Dylan Sowell wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:03 am"I'm a YouTuber. I create content for 'Preppers.' My whole shtick is urban prepping. Military family, Mormons. I was kinda raised to survive in bad situations. We get my truck on the open road and we'll be fairly safe...and heavily armed."
"Sure do!" Remy responds to Nanna Jo with more enthusiasm than she may have expected, "I reckon folk like me keep fellas like Dylan in the 'business' of content creation. Once a person has watched and re-watched what Hollywood puts out, one of the ways to stave off boredom is to watch new content. Not a big fan of all the channels watching a fella unboxing stuff though. It's hard to believe that the enthusiasm of unboxing yet another 'Kinder egg mystery surprise!' is genuine." He flashes a wry smirk at his own 'humor'. And may lead some of his travelling companions to wonder how often he needs to skirt the line between 'useful' and 'imminently punch-able face'.

From his position in the middle of the formation, Remy continues to pay attention to their surroundings. Calling out danger if he spots it. Likely a task much more important as they head into the garage confines. He will not hesitate to use the term "zombie" and will shout such if a shambler looks like they are headed their way.

If he hears Josh Murphy's call, Remy will whisper such to the group, "Think I hear a non-zombie out there... Hope he doesn't make too much noise and gets himself eaten." but not reveal their location with any counter-announcement of his own.

If the group reaches someone's car, Remy will keep an eye out as the car is started. And again, will call out alerts as needed.
The Governor wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:43 pmLynn, Remy and Michael can see a set of keys hanging from the fire door. Dylan doesn't notice the keys until he's at the door. Dylan and Michael both peek though the crack of the propped open fire door. Dylan and Michael don't see anything besides an empty top floor landing. Though Michael happens to spot a pack of cigarettes laying at the top step with a lighter resting on top and a half ground out cigarette butt still smoldering next to it. All of a sudden there is the sound of a loud crash from below, though no horn or screeching skid of tires proceeded it.
If the keys are still dangling there by the time Remy reaches them (nobody else has grabbed them), he will snag them and tuck them into a padded section of his messenger bag (so that they don't jingle).

Combat (if necessary):
Initiative: 1d20: [14] = 14
APM: 4
Action 1: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [4]+3 = 7
Action 2: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [1]+3 = 4
Action 3: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [8]+3 = 11
Action 4: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [15]+3 = 18

Parries (if necessary): 1d20+3: [12]+3 = 15 , 1d20+3: [17]+3 = 20 , 1d20+3: [5]+3 = 8 , 1d20+3: [2]+3 = 5
Last edited by Remy on Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dylan Sowell
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Dylan Sowell »

Perception: 40% / 1d100: [26] = 26
JIC: 1d20: [5] = 5 / 1d100: [32] = 32
Conditions: +3 v HF, +1 v Toxins;
The Governor wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:43 pmLynn, Remy and Michael can see a set of keys hanging from the fire door. Dylan doesn't notice the keys until he's at the door. Dylan and Michael both peek though the crack of the propped open fire door. Dylan and Michael don't see anything besides an empty top floor landing. Though Michael happens to spot a pack of cigarettes laying at the top step with a lighter resting on top and a half ground out cigarette butt still smoldering next to it. All of a sudden there is the sound of a loud crash from below, though no horn or screeching skid of tires proceeded it.
Dylan looks over his shoulder at those gathered. "Some crazy commotion downstairs. If there's anyone or any...thing to worry about, I bet that's got its attention. Let's go!" Dylan ceases trying to be sneaky and instead focuses on taking advantage of whatever surprise the commotion below might have provided, and so opens the door wide for the others to pass through quickly and easily. Dylan leads the way to the garage with his Glock in both hands, at the low ready in case of trouble. "Don't waste opportunities, Dylan--not many second chances in life!" he hears the voice of his father in his thoughts.
Dylan Sowell wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:47 pm
Contingency in case there's further need of violence:
Initiative: 1d20: [3] = 3
Action 1: Axe Kick (to shove any attacker back). Strike: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage: 2d8+5: [7, 7]+5 = 19
Action 2: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , Damage: 4d6+2: [1, 4, 4, 4]+2 = 15
Action 3: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , Damage: 4d6+2: [3, 1, 3, 6]+2 = 15
Action 4: Axe Kick (to shove any attacker back). Strike: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage: 2d8+5: [3, 7]+5 = 15
Action 5: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , Damage: 4d6+2: [4, 5, 6, 6]+2 = 23
Action 6: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 , Damage: 4d6+2: [3, 1, 3, 4]+2 = 13

Parries (+4 included): 1d20+4: [9]+4 = 13 , 1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7 , 1d20+4: [19]+4 = 23 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17
My Linktree Page
Dylan Sowell
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
User avatar
Lynn Jacobs
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Lynn Jacobs »

Perception: 1d100: [77] = 77 / 25%
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 / 1d100: [6] = 6
Conditions: +1 save vs HF

The Saenger, Rooftop Pool/Greenspace
Michael Oscars wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:19 pm "Then again if all of us had a bluetooth modulator we could use it as a sort of walkie talkie" muttering to himself.
“I have a portable Bluetooth speaker,” Lynn offers, not at all sure if that is what Michael means. As she discusses the walkie-talkies with Jo and Kevin, Lynn reluctantly gives in to the suggestion of leaving a note and giving the gear back to Kevin once it’s safe. Borrowing is better than stealing, she tells herself. When it’s revealed that the group might not even be able to get their hands on the walkie-talkies, Lynn doesn’t seem too bothered by the news. When Kevin mentions water bottles, she assures him, “I have some water in my SUV.”
Dylan Sowell wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:03 am Dylan checks his gear almost out of nervous reflex. "I'm a YouTuber. I create content for 'Preppers.' My whole shtick is urban prepping. Military family, Mormons. I was kinda raised to survive in bad situations. We get my truck on the open road and we'll be fairly safe...and heavily armed."
“Sounds like you ought to be our leader,” Lynn tells Dylan with a small smile that says that she appreciates his sensible thinking.

As the group plans to retrieve their vehicles and prepares to keep moving, Lynn calls out for her dog. “Tarka! Come!” She pats her side and when Tarka comes up to her, she attaches the dog’s leash to her harness. “Good girl…” Lynn then follows the others, keeping to the middle of the pack as she has done before.

If Lynn hears Josh calling from a few floors down, she’ll turn to Remy and whisper, “I think I hear someone too.”

Should we run into trouble, Lynn will try to get out of the way.
Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20: [11] = 11
1. Dodge: 1d20: [7] = 7
2. Dodge: 1d20: [7] = 7
3. Dodge: 1d20: [16] = 16
4. Dodge: 1d20: [18] = 18
Parries (if needed): 1d20: [19] = 19 , 1d20: [8] = 8 , 1d20: [20] = 20 , and 1d20: [5] = 5
Lynn Jacobs
“We'd stared into the face of Death, and Death blinked first. You'd think that would make us feel brave and invincible. It didn't.” - Rick Yancey, The 5th Wave
User avatar
Nanna Jo
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Nanna Jo »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [25] = 25
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 / 1d100: [25] = 25
Conditions: +1 v HF, +4 v Toxins;


"Right," Nanna Jo says, testing the weight of her club-like walking stick in a thoroughly businesslike way, "let's get down to business."
Dylan Sowell wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:53 am Dylan looks over his shoulder at those gathered. "Some crazy commotion downstairs. If there's anyone or any...thing to worry about, I bet that's got its attention. Let's go!"
Lynn Jacobs wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:28 am If Lynn hears Josh calling from a few floors down, she’ll turn to Remy and whisper, “I think I hear someone too.”
She peers over Michael and Dylan's shoulders at the door. Probably outta reassure anyone who's nervous... let's see... "Whatever it is, if it wants trouble it'll go down faster than a one-legged man doing the hokey pokey. Let's boogie."

Nanna Jo will let the lads with guns take the lead should any combat occur. Anything getting past them will be blocked by her. If anyone appears in trouble, she will move to assist.


Initiative: 1d20: [3] = 3
Action 1: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [20] = 20 , Damage: 2d4+12: [4, 4]+12 = 20 CRITICAL HIT
Action 2: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [19] = 19 , Damage: 2d4+12: [4, 2]+12 = 18
Action 3: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [6] = 6 , Damage: 2d4+12: [4, 3]+12 = 19
Action 4: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [19] = 19 , Damage: 2d4+12: [4, 2]+12 = 18
Action 5: Reserved for Dodge 1d20+3: [19]+3 = 22
Parry rolls: 1d20+3: [6]+3 = 9 , 1d20+3: [18]+3 = 21 , 1d20+3: [16]+3 = 19 , 1d20+3: [3]+3 = 6 , 1d20+3: [16]+3 = 19
Nanna Jo
"The cricket bat is mightier than the pen and the sword combined."

H.P.: 24/24
S.D.C.: 38/38
Armor Worn Leather Riding Suit (Padded)
  • A.R.: 12
  • S.D.C.: 35/35
User avatar
The Governor
Dimension Master
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by The Governor »

Location: New Orleans, Louisiana - The Saenger, Garage 10th floor Stairwell
Date: April 1st
Time: 2:00 pm
Weather: partly cloudy, 86º
Notes
Dylan's room: 612 Truck parked on Garage level 8
Nanna Jo's room: 1512 Motorcycle parked on Garage level 8
Michael's room: 912 Truck parked on Garage level 9
Lynn's room: 1002 SUV parked on Garage level 9
The conversation progresses as the group makes its way through the open fire door and onto the top landing of the garage stairwell. On his way through the doorway Remy grabs the keys, presumably left there by Tom, and stuffs them into his bag. While Kevin stoops down and snags the cigarettes and lighter. When Michael, the last one through the door, stops on the landing a click can be heard by all as the door closes and the latch catches. Whether on purpose or by accident the towel blocking the door must have been kicked out of place as the group passed through.

Crowded on the landing, with the door locked behind them, Dylan starts leading the way down. The stairs are the type that go down half a level before doing a switchback to the next landing and door. Rather than being plain concrete all the switchback landings have a mural painted on the wall by a local artist. As Dylan reaches the switchback between floor 10 and 9 he can see the door to the 9th floor, but its not what he sees that has him concerned. At the back of the group, Michael doesn't hear anything, but the rest of the group hears an odd gurgling sound. As the leaders reach the 9th floor landing, they and Dylan in particular, look down the stairs to the switchback landing between 9 and 8 to make sure its all clear and standing there is a man in a hospital gown. For the moment then man in the hospital gown pays the group no mind as he is preoccupied with other person sprawled on the floor wearing what appears to be a hotel uniform.

The man in the hospital gown has blood trailing down his front and is clasping the man lying on the floor with one hand while the other hand appears to the jammed into the other man's chest. The gurgling sound is still emanating from the man on the floor but the sound fades as the man in the hospital gown pulls his arm away from his chest. As the arm draws out, any that look will see that it doesn't end in a hand. No, that has been sheared off somehow, instead two jagged bones extend from the little bit of meat left on the man's forearm. Once the arm is free then man in the hospital gown jams the bones into the other man's chest again as blood pours from all the wounds. Just then, the sound of a car horn echos loudly up the stairwell.


Meanwhile, down on the 5th floor landing, Josh opens the door from the stairs out to the garage proper. Being that this floor was used for valet parking and short term guests, it was rather full when things started to get weird. Josh can't make out too much as there's a car pointed in his direction with its lights on, putting Josh in a kind of spot light. Just then the horn blares from the car with its lights on Josh and doesn't stop. That's when Josh sees a bit of movement through the light. It looks like someone had been leaning in the driver's window but is now standing back up next to the car.


What do you do?
User avatar
Dylan Sowell
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Dylan Sowell »

Perception: 40% / 1d100: [61] = 61
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 / 1d100: [65] = 65
Conditions: +3 v HF, +1 v Toxins;
Prowl 25% / 1d100: [47] = 47

Damnit. This sure the hell looks like a zombie apocalypse after all. Guess Romero & company fucked up one thing though: they just kill you. Don't give a fuck 'bout no brains. 'I know you're up there, Tina' my ass. They're just mindless killing machines now...like rabid beasts. Dylan watches the horrible spectacle of the man's murder as he tries to quietly approach the killer from behind. Your humanity's gone, so it's time to put you down, man. Dylan tries to minimize the deafening noise an open gunshot in the enclosed stairwell would make, and so will close to point-blank range and only discharge his firearm when pressed directly to the point of contact. Never thought I'd use someone's neck as a suppressor, but here we are. Dad was right when he said 'Ya never know what crazy shit's gonna develop, what you're gonna have to do after the shit hits the fan.'

Initiative: 1d20: [19] = 19
Action 1: Quietly approach zombie while aiming at its neck.
Action 2: Quietly approach zombie while aiming at its neck.
Action 3: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Aimed & Called shot to neck. Strike: 1d20+4: [6]+4 = 10 , Damage: 4d6+2: [4, 3, 1, 3]+2 = 13
Action 5: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Called shot to neck. Strike: 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 , Damage: 4d6+2: [5, 2, 1, 2]+2 = 12
Action 6: Axe Kick (if needed, to shove any attacker back). Strike: 1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22 , Damage: 2d8+5: [8, 1]+5 = 14 ; if not needed, Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 , Damage: 4d6+2: [4, 1, 6, 2]+2 = 15

Parries: 1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17 , 1d20+4: [11]+4 = 15 , 1d20+4: [17]+4 = 21 , 1d20+4: [18]+4 = 22 , 1d20+4: [17]+4 = 21
My Linktree Page
Dylan Sowell
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
User avatar
Nanna Jo
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Nanna Jo »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [63] = 63
JIC: 1d20: [3] = 3 / 1d100: [15] = 15
Conditions: +1 v HF, +4 v Toxins;

As they pass down the stairs, Nanna Jo feels a momentary pang. This trip to America was supposed to set her family up for life; the start of something wonderful. She was now creeping down the stairs, with strangers, towards danger and maybe the end. She feels an even sharper pang for her family. Her boys were now men and able to run the farm and business, but the thought of her father still is prison was like a knife in her heart. If things really fall apart and he's locked up... what then?

She quickly realises she must give up the worry. She was too far away. I got to trust the boys to think of something. They know people, they're close and will have a plan. I'm on the wrong side of the world. It was comforting to know that if there was one thing she truly taught her boys, it was self-reliance. She'll be right.
The Governor wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:19 pm At the back of the group, Michael doesn't hear anything, but the rest of the group hears an odd gurgling sound. As the leaders reach the 9th floor landing, they and Dylan in particular, look down the stairs to the switchback landing between 9 and 8 to make sure its all clear and standing there is a man in a hospital gown. For the moment then man in the hospital gown pays the group no mind as he is preoccupied with other person sprawled on the floor wearing what appears to be a hotel uniform.

The man in the hospital gown has blood trailing down his front and is clasping the man lying on the floor with one hand while the other hand appears to the jammed into the other man's chest. The gurgling sound is still emanating from the man on the floor but the sound fades as the man in the hospital gown pulls his arm away from his chest. As the arm draws out, any that look will see that it doesn't end in a hand. No, that has been sheared off somehow, instead two jagged bones extend from the little bit of meat left on the man's forearm. Once the arm is free then man in the hospital gown jams the bones into the other man's chest again as blood pours from all the wounds. Just then, the sound of a car horn echos loudly up the stairwell.
Looking at the horrific spectacle, the elder quips to herself. So this is the end of the world? You'd think the USA would have a bigger budget. No dragons or alien spaceships, just a bunch of derro zombies!

The way ahead was indeed dark and strange, but looking at the man in the hospital gown, she found herself unafraid. If she was going out of this world, it would be as she came into it; kicking and screaming.

Noticing Dylan creeping up on the monster, gun drawn, Nanna Jo turns to those behind her, putting her fingers to her lips to signal for quiet.
She's content to hang back. Let the young Yank with the gun go ahead and be Clint Eastwood! Though at the first sign of trouble, Nanna will step forward assist with her heavy walking stick. I should probably remember to knit him a poncho.

Combat post, if it seems Dylan needs assistance:

Initiative: 1d20: [6] = 6
Action 1: Approach within strike range if needed OR Walking stick strike: 1d20: [6] = 6 +1 = 7, Damage: 2d4+12: [1, 4]+12 = 17
Action 2: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [2] = 2 +1 = 3, Damage: 2d4+12: [1, 3]+12 = 16
Action 3: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [2] = 2 +1 = 3, Damage: 2d4+12: [3, 2]+12 = 17
Action 4: Walking stick strike: 1d20: [17] = 17 +1 = 18, Damage: 2d4+12: [3, 1]+12 = 16
Action 5: Reserved for Dodge 1d20+3: [20]+3 = 23

Parry rolls: 1d20+3: [13]+3 = 16 +1 = 17, 1d20+3: [2]+3 = 5 +1 = 6, 1d20+3: [17]+3 = 20 +1 = 21, 1d20+3: [18]+3 = 21 +1 = 22, 1d20+3: [11]+3 = 14 +1 = 15

* Parry rolls to defend Dylan from bites if needed and possible (unclear how rules work here). Nanna Jo figures if she can jam her stick in the zombie's mouth it won't bite so well.
** Neglected to add +1 strike/parry for W.P Blunt to this post's original die rolls. Edited to include.
Nanna Jo
"The cricket bat is mightier than the pen and the sword combined."

H.P.: 24/24
S.D.C.: 38/38
Armor Worn Leather Riding Suit (Padded)
  • A.R.: 12
  • S.D.C.: 35/35
User avatar
Lynn Jacobs
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Lynn Jacobs »

Perception: 1d100: [36] = 36 / 25%
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 / 1d100: [34] = 34
Conditions: +1 save vs HF
Skills: Prowl: 1d100: [1] = 1 / 32%

The Saenger, Garage Stairwell, between the 9th and 10th Floors

As the door clicks shut behind them, Lynn takes in a deep, calming breath. I suppose there’s no going back now, she thinks to herself. Tarka seems a little uneasy in this space. Lynn reassures her with a gentle pat. She keeps her dog close as they make their way down the stairs to the next landing.
The Governor wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:19 pm...the rest of the group hears an odd gurgling sound.
Is that…? For a moment, Lynn’s mind tries to identify the odd sound. Then it hits her; she’s heard this sound before! It’s the sort of sound a severely injured animal might make. Curious, she peeks over the railing to witness the gruesome scene taking place on the stairs below them. Clasping her free hand over her mouth, Lynn backs away from the railing. Her eyes go wide with the shock of seeing a man ripping into another man’s chest.

As the others start to move in to deal with the trouble, Lynn quickly and quietly pushes Kevin back against the wall. She shakes her head, trying to silently convey to him that he doesn’t want to see what is happening to Tom. (Prowl to hopefully not attract attention from the zombie)

If there is trouble, Lynn will try to get out of the way.
Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20: [1] = 1
1. Dodge: 1d20: [19] = 19
2. Dodge: 1d20: [8] = 8
3. Dodge: 1d20: [8] = 8
4. Dodge: 1d20: [16] = 16
Parries (if needed): 1d20: [18] = 18 , 1d20: [16] = 16 , 1d20: [4] = 4 , and 1d20: [9] = 9
Lynn Jacobs
“We'd stared into the face of Death, and Death blinked first. You'd think that would make us feel brave and invincible. It didn't.” - Rick Yancey, The 5th Wave
User avatar
Josh Murphy
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:13 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Josh Murphy »

Meanwhile, down on the 5th floor landing, Josh opens the door from the stairs out to the garage proper. Being that this floor was used for valet parking and short term guests, it was rather full when things started to get weird. Josh can't make out too much as there's a car pointed in his direction with its lights on, putting Josh in a kind of spot light. Just then the horn blares from the car with its lights on Josh and doesn't stop. That's when Josh sees a bit of movement through the light. It looks like someone had been leaning in the driver's window but is now standing back up next to the car.
What do you do?
Perception: 15% / 1d100: [92] = 92
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 1d100: [92] = 92

Contingency: If Josh comes face to face with a hostile person, he will initially try to reason with them, only attacking if he feels seriously threatened. If he sees someone else being attacked, he will jump in to help.

Initiative: 1d20: [17] = 17
Action 1: Dodge: 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15
Action 2: Strike with bat: 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , Damage: 1d8: [1] = 1
Action 3: Strike with bat: 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 , Damage: 1d8: [1] = 1
Action 4: Strike with bat: 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 , Damage: 1d8: [1] = 1

Parries: 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , 1d20+1: [15]+1 = 16 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 , 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6 ,

Josh initially recoils at the blaring of the horn and freezes. As the horn continues to blare, the shock wears off somewhat, but a million thoughts race through his mind. Jesus Christ! What the hell is wrong with this asshole? Are they going to ram me? Are they hurt? I think they might be hurt.

Josh takes a deep breath and sets his bat bag down on the floor by the door. He grips his bat tightly in both hands and slowly walks towards the car. Noticing the silhouette of the person standing next to the car, he raises the bat to about shoulder level.

"Hey, uh, sir? Ma'am? A-are you alright? Did something happen to the person in the car?"

He moves a bit closer.

"M-maybe we can get up to the top floor and find a phone to call the cops or something."
Dice rolls
1d100: [95] = 95
Michael Oscars

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Michael Oscars »

Perception: 20% / 1D100 = 55%
JIC: 1D20 : 8,
Condition: +1 vs H.F

Michael keeps to the back of the group watching the rear. If anything comes from there he is ready for trouble.
"Do you guys think its like this outside the city or just inside?

Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20: 2,
1. Dodge: 1d20: [4 + 3 Dodge] = 7,
2. Dodge: 1d20: [18 +3] = 21,
3. Shot: 1d20: [13] = 13, Damage: 4d6: [5 1 5 6] = 17,
4. Dodge: 1d20: [2 +3] = 5,
User avatar
Lynn Jacobs
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Lynn Jacobs »

((Rolls held over))

At the sound of Michael's voice, Lynn turns her head around to give him a silent warning. She holds an index finger up to her lips. Her eyes are wide as she looks to him, then over to the railing. The haunting image of Tom being savaged by another man comes to her mind; the gurgling sound echoing in her ears despite the horn sounding off somewhere below them. Maybe Remy was right...
Lynn Jacobs
“We'd stared into the face of Death, and Death blinked first. You'd think that would make us feel brave and invincible. It didn't.” - Rick Yancey, The 5th Wave
User avatar
Remy
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:23 am

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Remy »

Perception: d%: [53] = 53 | 53%
JIC: 1d20: [10] = 10 | d%: [57] = 57
Conditions: +1 vs HF, +1 vs psi/insanity
Nanna Jo wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:32 amNoticing Dylan creeping up on the monster, gun drawn, Nanna Jo turns to those behind her, putting her fingers to her lips to signal for quiet.
Nodding, Remy turns to those behind him (primarily Lynn, then Michael) and passes along the message, mimicking the finger to his lips in a signal of quiet.

Remy remains observant of their surroundings (prioritizing other directions not being observed by the others) even as Dylan makes the approach to put down the zombie.

Then a thought occurs to him and he places a hand on Nanna Jo's shoulder before whispering in her ear, "If the zombie killed someone, best brain the corpse so that it doesn't rise again. Reckon it'd be especially dangerous after we pass it, thinking it's already down. I mean, dead is dead, so best be safe than sorry."

Remy mimes the swinging of the elderly woman's heavy walking stick, casually assuming that she would be up to such a gruesome task as delivering a coup de grace and simultaneously assuming that movie tropes hold true in their current situation.

If the group moves forward enough for Remy to get a gander at the murder scene, he will scrutinize it and quietly share his best guess at where the hospital patient came from, postulate what Tom was doing, how far he managed to run before he was overtaken and also, assuming that the hospital figure found victims prior to Tom, suggest barricading whichever floor they originated from.

((Crime Scene Investigation. d%: [14] = 14 | 73%))

Combat (if necessary):
Initiative: 1d20: [14] = 14
APM: 4
Action 1: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [7]+3 = 10
Action 2: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [7]+3 = 10
Action 3: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [6]+3 = 9
Action 4: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [13]+3 = 16

Parries (if necessary): 1d20+3: [7]+3 = 10 , 1d20+3: [14]+3 = 17 , 1d20+3: [14]+3 = 17 , 1d20+3: [9]+3 = 12
User avatar
Nanna Jo
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Nanna Jo »

((Rolls carried))
Remy wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:28 pm Then a thought occurs to him and he places a hand on Nanna Jo's shoulder before whispering in her ear, "If the zombie killed someone, best brain the corpse so that it doesn't rise again. Reckon it'd be especially dangerous after we pass it, thinking it's already down. I mean, dead is dead, so best be safe than sorry."

Remy mimes the swinging of the elderly woman's heavy walking stick, casually assuming that she would be up to such a gruesome task as delivering a coup de grace and simultaneously assuming that movie tropes hold true in their current situation.
Nanna Jo silently winks at Remy, and briefly shows him her trusty walking stick. Way ahead of you champ. Not only is it crusted with the blood of the zombie she dispatched earlier before meeting Remy, but this stick is clearly designed for bashing in skulls. The thick and heavy piece even has the words "Heavy Hitter" engraved in its side.

Once the meaning is clear to Remy, the old lady's eyebrows wiggle sardonically and she returns her attention to the matter at hand.
Nanna Jo
"The cricket bat is mightier than the pen and the sword combined."

H.P.: 24/24
S.D.C.: 38/38
Armor Worn Leather Riding Suit (Padded)
  • A.R.: 12
  • S.D.C.: 35/35
User avatar
The Governor
Dimension Master
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by The Governor »

Location: New Orleans, Louisiana - The Saenger, Garage, 8.5 and 9th floor Stairwell
Date: April 1st
Time: 2:05 pm
Weather: partly cloudy, 86º
Notes
Dylan's room: 612 Truck parked on Garage level 8
Nanna Jo's room: 1512 Motorcycle parked on Garage level 8
Michael's room: 912 Truck parked on Garage level 9
Lynn's room: 1002 SUV parked on Garage level 9

Focused on the matter at hand, then man in the bloody hospital gown with the severed hand is intent on his task, plunging the protruding bones into the man's chest for a third time. He doesn't notice Dylan easing up on him, even though Dylan's pack scrapes down the metal handrail.

Behind Dylan, Nanna Jo motions for the rest of the group to be quiet as she tightens her grip on her walking stick.

Lynn catches sight of the bloody scene on the landing below them and uses her soccer mom arm to hold Kevin back from seeing what became of Thomas. Kevin pales and looks pained but doesn't attempt to force his way forward passed Lynn.

Leaning into Nanna Jo's ear, Remy whispers, "If the zombie killed someone, best brain the corpse so that it doesn't rise again. Reckon it'd be especially dangerous after we pass it, thinking it's already down. I mean, dead is dead, so best be safe than sorry." Nanna Jo winks in reply, conveying that she understands and agrees. Then she turns back to watch Dylan's progress and sees the young man almost on top of the man with the severed hand, who's focus is wholly on Thomas, as Dylan extends his pistol, now just inches from the base of the man with the severed hand's skull.

Reaching the 9th floor landing, Michael can't move forward anymore as Lynn, Remy and Kevin hold themselves back and out of sight of the landing half a level below them. Michael says, "Do you guys think its like this outside the city or just inside?" But receives only stares and motions to be silent in reply.

The idea that these are indeed zombies starts to creep into the heads of more than one person in the party at about the time Dylan feels the muzzle of his pistol press against the neck of the man with the severed hand.

BLAM

The party's ears ring as congealed blood and gore splatter against the mural on the wall. The man with the severed hand collapses to the floor, his head nearly free of his body, only being held on by a few traces of flesh and sinew.

Remy looks down at the bodies, spotting a few traces of blood from further down the stairs, in addition to a few other markers. His skill and intuition lead him to believe that the man with the severed hand made his way up to this level where he happened upon Thomas.


Further down the stairwell, Josh sets his gear bag down and steps out from the stairwell and into the light of the headlights. He asks the obscured figure what is going on but doesn't receive a reply, though it could just be due to the blare of the car horn. As he moves forward, Josh says, "M-maybe we can get up to the top floor and find a phone to call the cops or something." It is then that he has gotten close enough that the glare of the headlights moves out of his eyes and he can see a man in what was once a nice suit. Now the suit is half torn from the man's body, exposing a chest that is painfully caved in. The man in the suit doesn't even seem to notice his injury as he stares down at the bloody mess flopped against the steering wheel in the car.

A BLAM echos out from the stairwell behind Josh. This gets the attention of the man in the suit, who's head lolls toward the noise. That's when he spots Josh and his mouth opens and begins to emit a moan even louder than the car horn.

WHAT DO YOU DO!
User avatar
Dylan Sowell
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Dylan Sowell »

Perception: 40% / 1d100: [54] = 54
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 / 1d100: [84] = 84
Conditions: +3 v HF, +1 v Toxins;

Fuck. That didn't quite muffle the report as much as I would have liked. Dylan looks back to the others with urgency in his eyes. "We move NOW. Quietly and swiftly. First to Lynn's vehicle, then mine." He looks to Nanna & Mike. "After we get Lynn to her vehicle, cover her as we make our way to my truck. Mike, join Lynn and whoever joins her in her vehicle." Dylan holds his pistol at a low ready and moves out in a crouch to minimize his silhouette against any light that might be present. He waits for Lynn to show the way, then takes point, relying on her direction if required.

Contingency: If Dylan sees anyone acting really strangely or wearing a hospital gown (and who are approaching them), he'll shoot without hesitation.
Initiative: 1d20: [14] = 14
Action 1: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18 , Damage: 4d6+2: [5, 3, 4, 6]+2 = 20
Action 2: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6 , Damage: 4d6+2: [4, 4, 5, 4]+2 = 19
Action 3: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2 , Damage: 4d6+2: [3, 4, 3, 6]+2 = 18
Action 4: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18 , Damage: 4d6+2: [3, 4, 5, 2]+2 = 16
Action 5: Shoot Glock 17 at target. Strike: 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 , Damage: 4d6+2: [6, 5, 3, 4]+2 = 20
Action 6: Axe Kick (if needed, to shove any attacker back). Strike: 1d20+2: [14]+2 = 16 , Damage: 2d8+5: [6, 3]+5 = 14

Parries (+4 included): 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17 , 1d20+4: [19]+4 = 23 , 1d20+4: [7]+4 = 11 , 1d20+4: [10]+4 = 14 , 1d20+4: [11]+4 = 15 , 1d20+4: [4]+4 = 8
My Linktree Page
Dylan Sowell
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
User avatar
Nanna Jo
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Nanna Jo »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [35] = 35
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 / 1d100: [35] = 35
Conditions: +1 v HF, +4 v Toxins;
The Governor wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:44 pm BLAM

"Stone the crows!" Nanna Jo exclaims at the sound of the gun. She clearly hadn't thought that a gun going off in a stairwell is quite different to being in a sheep paddock. Since her ears were ringing, and everyone was deaf anyway, she decides to unload a few other decidedly unladylike phrases. That's just between me and Jesus, these people don't need to know about it.

She keeps a tail on Dylan once he chooses to move forward. Well everyone in the city's gonna know we're here now!
Dylan Sowell wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:15 pm Dylan looks back to the others with urgency in his eyes. "We move NOW. Quietly and swiftly. First to Lynn's vehicle, then mine." He looks to Nanna & Mike. "After we get Lynn to her vehicle, cover her as we make our way to my truck. Mike, join Lynn and whoever joins her in her vehicle." Dylan holds his pistol at a low ready and moves out in a crouch to minimize his silhouette against any light that might be present. He waits for Lynn to show the way, then takes point, relying on her direction if required.
"Righto, let's boogie." she says, guessing more than hearing what Dylan was actually saying. I think I heard what he just said, but I should add this... "We should move quietly and get to Lynn's car first, then yours I reckon. Grab my bike and chuck it in the back of your truck. Mike should ride with Lynn since he's armed. I'll ride with you. Kevin with Lynn and the squishy fella somewhere in the middle where he likes it."

She points ahead down the stairs, indicating they ought to move on quickly.

She positions herself on Dylan's right, ready to deal out a bloody good bludgeoning to anything that gets in their way. "That cannon's louder than I guessed." After a moment, she nods to those behind and says "Let's get a move on!"

Initiative: 1d20: [9] = 9
Action 1: Walking stick strike: 1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14 , Damage: 2d4+12: [1, 4]+12 = 17
Action 2: Walking stick strike: 1d20+1: [10]+1 = 11 , Damage: 2d4+12: [3, 1]+12 = 16
Action 3: Walking stick strike: 1d20+1: [10]+1 = 11 , Damage: 2d4+12: [4, 3]+12 = 19
Action 4: Walking stick strike: 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , Damage: 2d4+12: [1, 2]+12 = 15
Action 5: Reserved for Dodge 1d20+3: [2]+3 = 5
Parry rolls: 1d20+4: [17]+4 = 21 , 1d20+4: [17]+4 = 21 , 1d20+4: [4]+4 = 8 , 1d20+4: [19]+4 = 23 , 1d20+4: [14]+4 = 18

Nanna will parry to protect Dylan as she figures a stick's a lot better at it than the cannon he's playing with.
Nanna Jo
"The cricket bat is mightier than the pen and the sword combined."

H.P.: 24/24
S.D.C.: 38/38
Armor Worn Leather Riding Suit (Padded)
  • A.R.: 12
  • S.D.C.: 35/35
Post Reply

Return to “Civilization Gone”