Jerrick Vincent

Re: Chapter 2: Inscrutable Morning

Post by Jerrick Vincent »

Rolls
Perception: 1d100<31
Invoke Trust:1d100<25
JIC:1d100
JIC:1d20
The man in curious armor looks up with a bit of concern at the menagerie of characters before him. He is about 6’ and 150 lbs. He is Athletically built wearing nicer than average clothes like he is trying to make an impression. He puts his hands in the air as an indicator of acquiescence to your authority in the situation.
“Hi ! I know a complete stranger just appeared to pop up from a camouflaged position, but I assure you it is coincidental. I mean you no harm and I am armed but as you can see my hands are wear you can see them. I am just a guy who missed a chance at an job interview, that thought he got a another opportunity, ended up in a flying container. Said container was then assailed by missiles which destroyed one of the walls causing me to fall out and land here covered by the branches I knocked down when I hit the tree line.” Jerrick is obviously confused and a bit scared.

“I know this sounds a little insane but it is the truth. You guys look heavily armed and I have no desire to put you in a position to use them. If you don’t mind I would like to stand up and be on my way.” He seems to be looking for a indication that it is ok for him to move.
Jerrick Vincent

[Carrying Over Rolls]
Jerrick complies. As he is brought around the hover vehicle and is set down he removes weight from his bad leg and balances on his good leg.

“I can fix my leg in a minute. What is the situation with this case. I may be able to help.”

He looks very confident that he is in control of the situation but it seems put on.
Jerrick Vincent

Whisp wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:16 am
"Hey, before we blow this up, do you mind if I take a quick look at it? I should be able to figure out how this thing operates and come up with a solution or at least a better understanding of the situation. It will only take a few moments."
I am in the middle of nowhere. I have no idea how to get back to MercTown, and I am currently surrounded by a group that includes an obvious Crazy, and heavily armed people of varying levels of perceived stability. Maybe if I help them they will help me get back to MercTown

Jerrick Looks the case over. “If you let me hold the case for a few minutes, I can tell you just about anything you need to know without opening it. That would probably help avoid any unwanted consequences of opening the case. If I succeed, your case related questions are answered and the only thing I ask is transport back to MercTown. Would ‘Eight’, is it, object?”, he inquired.

Other Rolls Carried Over
——————————————
Object Read Rolls If Applicable
If they let him hold the case. He will do Object Read.
10 I.S.P. For past read and Present Read
Time: 2d6 minutes.
Result:1d100<61
Jerrick Vincent

She looks at Jerrick again and considers Amber's point about the concussion. "If you can do psychic healing to at least stabilize this new person, that would also be useful unless he has some kind of regeneration of his own."

Turning to Jerrick, she says, "Can you regenerate? It's extremely dangerous to get out of armor in a combat zone."
This Susan, is obviously in charge.
“Telemechanics would be more apropos to the situation at hand. As for healing I can’t heal myself per se, but I may be able to repair some damage after I identify whether or not I actually have a concussion and see what other injuries I may have.” He leans against the hover vehicle and slows his breathing until he seems completely calm and serene. He holds his hands a bit away from his chest. What appears to be distortions of visible light begin appearing to radiate from his hands, then grow and envelope his body. After 7 minutes he seems to leave the trance like state. He then states “No concussion. But I do have a sprain of the hip. Let me sit down. If we can stabilize it I should be ok. Or if one of you has a quicker method I am down.” He looks at the group darting between the members of the group for an indication of one of them has an instant fix. God I hope one of them has something to save time.
Trance Length Roll
2d4
Jerrick Vincent

Amber Dach wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:11 pm
Amber sighs, as she is getting a little impatient to get on with the mission. Mental note. Purchase some kind of magical healing to deal with these things. “I can speed the process enough to get you moving, stranger, but that’s about it. I don’t usually offer this to people that haven’t introduced themselves at least.” If he introduces himself, she will off her name in return. "I'm Amber." She will say curtly.
“I am Jerrick Vincent. Pleasure to meet you. Wish it was under better circumstances. Get me moving and I will keep up.” Who are these people? They seem highly trained in what appears to be a mission that became a shit show. No matter what I cannot slow them down. If she gets me limping I will limp faster than I ever have in my life.
Amber Dach wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:11 pm Once she is ready, she says to Jerrick. “Breath deeply and relax.” She takes her own advice and takes a deep breath in as she concentrate her mind into the healing ritual. As the ritual progresses, she feels the warmth building in her hands as the healing energy begins to coalesce. She reaches out with her fingertips and touches Jerrick’s injured hip. She releases the warmth into his body, knitting the damaged muscles back together.

Jerrick begins relaxing and breathing deeply entering an almost trance like state himself, doing his best to open up to the healing.
Amber Dach wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:11 pm Once the trance is complete, she says. “That should be a bit better. Test it out slowly.”
He stands slowly. “Thank you, I owe you.”. He begins testing it slowly to see what his mobility will be like. Waiting to see how it holds up.
Jerrick Vincent

Perception 31%: d100<31
JIC d100: d100
JIC d20: d20

Jerrick is still acclimating to his hobble after the healing provided by Amber. He is really focused on that, when Eight disables the case, and comms explode.
Defender Comms wrote:"Holding cells breached. Power fluctuations in zero-niner-niner. They are after The Architect! Initiating self-destru... <static>"
He startles and jumps. That message indicates that the mission is in danger if not FUBAR. He learned that term from his father. They seem to have been hit hard maybe even taken some casualties. I can’t imagine having fought so hard and then having to stare at potential defeat. There are only two options. They need all the help they can get to have a chance to turn the tide. I will help them evacuate or fight, whichever they choose.

Jerrick stops the stress test of his leg. He is slower and slightly worse for wear, but he has done more with less.He takes out his Pistol. Checks it, then holsters it.

”Whatever you guys choose to do, you have my complete support. I have some abilities that may be of assistance.”

Bad news Jerrick, you may die. Good news if you succeed, your Resume will be totally buffed for joining that Mercenary group, G.I.R.L.S.
Jerrick Vincent

Perception: d100<31
Lore Magic:d100<50
Lore Magical Creatures: d100<50
JIC: d100 | d20
Aegis of No Retreat wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:33 am Jerrick notices that a group of 3 individuals dressed in loose garb, but wearing forcefield bandoliers, located at the Eastern flank of the attackers' defensive line (right side of red arc) are gathered in a ritual-type formation, in the midst of some manner of powerful magic. Next to them, bright balls of energy pulse as magic is extracted from the storage balls and channeled into their activity.
Jerrick immediately looks worried. This can’t be good, WTF could they be summoning?

“Guys!!! They are performing a ritual and I can only assume by the number of soldiers protecting the circle, it isn’t good for us.”

He moves closer and hyper focuses his eyes and attempts to identify the ritual.

His eyes widen. Holy S$&t!!! “I am not sure what your mission here is, and although I have only read about this, I am 99% sure they are opening a dimensional rift.” What in the hell are these people doing opening a rift and what is our plan? “Guys I feel a bit over my head. I am all in but I have no idea what the goal is here, so you tell me what to do I will do it. I am pretty sure nothing good can come from a rift.”
Jerrick Vincent

Amber Dach wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:18 pm “Ease up, Jerrick. I’m pretty sure that the Rift they are opening is for getting them out of here. If my memory serves me, they are from the Three Galaxy region, which is a long, long way from here. If anything pops out of it, they’ll have to deal with it first.”

She shrugs, “Anyway, I really don’t see much in the way of options. Unless you have a nuke or a Spell of Legend up your sleeve, we can’t do much to stop them. If we do disrupt the spell, we’ll have a company of Special Forces sitting here without a way to egress from the area. I’m guessing that would piss them off. I’m open to any ideas though, as long as they won’t get us killed.”

She will pause to let the others have a say and then add. “Since our mission was only to repel the invaders and since they are leaving, I think our job is done. I say let them leave. Once we get our payment, we can head back to MercTown. I hope they are giving us a ride back too.”
Jerrick breathes an audible sigh of relief. After falling from the sky and meeting these strangers in what appears to be a considerable battle, I am not sure I am ready for his first rift and D-Bee encounter. With a a voice of shaky confidence he says “Well if you needed me to fight I would of done what you asked, but I agree discretion is the better part of valor. Let’s let them go and see if we can retrieve this Eight. Then we can return to MercTown.”
Jerrick Vincent

Perception: 31% / 1d100
JIC: 1d20 | 1d100
Sense Supernatural Evil: 60% / 1d100
Conditions: +7 Magic, +5 Lethal Poison/Non-Lethal Poison, +4 Horror Factor, +2 Possession, +1 Psionics, Coma/Death 20%
Skill Rolls:
Prowl 30% / d100
Wilderness Survival 55% / d100
Land Navigation 54% / d100
First Aid 70% / d100
Language: American 99% / d100
Language: Spanish 71% / d100
Language: Chinese 71% / d100
Language: Dragonese/Elven 71% / d100
Phinneas_Graves wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:11 pm Phinneas looks to Amber, "Looked like they could have easily taken care of Eight and finished him? It? Instead they just restrained him. Do you think that maybe we might be the bad guys here? Maybe he wanted to be rescued?"
"I can't say I disagree with Mr. Graves Logic. His words ring wise." Strange, I have always heard Crazies were unhinged and uncontrollable. As in all generalizations about a group of people, that notion seems to be inaccurate.

Jerrick continues to watch the situation unfold.
Jerrick Vincent

Perception:d100<31
JIC: d100, d20

Jerrick just paces a little. My deployment here has been a disaster. If I am going to pad my resume I will need their help.“Guy’s I’ll be honest with you here, this dynamic you have with Naruni, is this Mercenary work? I mean obviously it is Mercenary work, I mean is this all mercenary work? I mean it is exciting, everything I imagined. I am just curious because I saw this as an opportunity to prove myself. That is why I jumped into that carrier. I was looking to get on with this group of mercenaries, the General Investigation, Resolution & Liberation Services of Merctown. They were looking for help and I went to apply. They weren’t there, and then I ran into the recruiter saw an opportunity for real world experience that that could help me get on with them and I was put in container and sent here, but all I have effectively done is proven I can fall out of a drop ship from an insane height and survive. I can also apparently sit around and watch a Naruni robot get his ass kicked and an army rift out of here. So sure I have 100,000 credits, but I was hoping to get some good resume bullet points. I mean I can word it creatively I guess. If I was to use you guys for reference could you maybe add some flourishes to my recommendation, like emphasize whatever you feel comfortable emphasizing? I mean although accidental, I am apparently a natural at camouflage. You guys were like 10 feet away from me before my return to consciousness alerted you to my presence. I mean have you ever seen someone camouflage themselves that well while unconscious? I bet not.”
Jerrick Vincent

Rolls Carried Over
Amber Dach wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:37 pm Amber listens to Jerrick chatter a bit and smiles to herself as he recounts his stellar hiding prowess. I should have a bit of fun with him. See how he reacts to being messed with a bit. She keeps her voice somewhat serious as she replies. “Uhm, Jerrick. Do you really want being knocked out and falling from a drop pod as a highlight on your resume? I mean, if it's what you want. I'd be happy to give you a reference.”
"Good Point! Ok so maybe we could phrase it as a demonstrated survivor?" No that just means I didn't die. "Maybe rugged survivalist?"
Amber Dach wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:37 pm She grins behind her faceplate. “You certainly do know how to make a first impression, dontcha. Of course, what you don’t realise is that your prospective employers are standing in front of you right now.” She laughs. “Sorry, I couldn't help messing with you a bit. We are both members of the GIRLS.” She gestures at Susan and herself.
He looks very perplexed. Of course they are girls and I assumed they were from Merctown . . . wait General Investigation, Resolution & Liberation Services . . . With a sudden light of realization, Jerrick says "Holy S&*t that does spell GIRLS." What are the odds I would literally drop into the lap of the very Merc Company I missed an interview with. This is destiny. I was meant to be here. Huh, never thought the realization of purpose would be so jarring. "Since I really didn't demonstrate my ability you have to hear my spiel. Ok, I have waited for this chance so here I go. I started out my life thinking I wanted to be musician and dancer. I am decent at both. I came from a long line of Ley Line Walkers, but never had the intelligence of either my siblings who followed in those footsteps. I showed great physical aptitude and trained in sports, gymnastics, martial arts and competitive shooting from an early age. When I was 14 I began exhibiting psychic ability. I could talk to the dead. I had premonitions. My mom, a moderately powerful psychic, taught me how to use my abilities. I would seek out and talk to the dead regularly, I kinda went through an emo phase where macabre was my jam, and they would share knowledge. One of the spirits I spoke with taught me of an alternative method of using magic. It focused manifesting power from within myself, through sheer will and my own life energy, and less on learning the ins and outs. So I am part psychic, part mage and part kickass warrior. 'A Jack of all Trades Master of none', but what most folks don't know is that old adage is only half of the phrase. It is 'Jack of all Trades, master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.' And that is why I would be an asset to the General Investigation, Resolution & Liberation Services. Ok, that was what I was going to tell you during the interview. "
Amber Dach wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:37 pm She lets him wait a second before saying. “Anyway. So, our situation with the Naruni is… unique. This isn’t the best place to talk about it though. We can talk more about it when we get back to town and see if you are still interested in possibly joining us when you hear all the details.” She leaves unsaid. And maybe Jez will have shown up by then too.
"Yes the Naruni concern me, but that is my problem not yours. It isn't a problem with working for them, more about being blind to whatever greater machinations are at play. But if I never take a job for my own inability to see the bigger picture, I would never find employment. I would be honored to join your team, and I promise that my ability to hide while unconscious is only the tip of a moderately sized iceberg." He extends a hand to Amber to seal the deal.
Jerrick Vincent

Amber Dach wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:14 pm Amber kind of rolls her eyes in her helmet. By the Gods, this guy is a talker and not much of a listener. I literally just said we will deal with this in town. “Sorry to interrupt, Jerrick. But like I said. We can handle this back in town. This isn’t the time or place for an interview. Plus, I’m not the one that does the hiring and firing.” She looks in the direction where Jez headed. Where in the Nine Hells are you Jez?
He immediately becomes quiet realizing he overstepped. Don’t f$&k this up Jerrick.
Amber Dach wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:14 pm She shakes her head. Boy, how naïve is this guy. He must be even greener than I am at being a merc. “So, you don’t think that the Naruni are your problem? Well, if you were to join us, they will quickly become your problem.” That’s enough for now. If he joins us, we can fill him in on the reality of dealing with our Naruni and Eight back in town.

She lets that statement hang in the air for a moment. I think it is time to drop a little knowledge here. “You seem pretty new to this kind of work, so I have a suggestion for you, Jerrick. There is a time and place for everything. You just told everyone in earshot your life story in the middle of a battlefield. Information is knowledge. And knowledge is power. You never know who is listening. So, quit tipping your cards or it may come back to bite you.” Hopefully he takes the hint to watch what you are saying in the open.
Jerrick listens attentively but doesn’t respond. He doesn’t have a response. You will notice when Amber’s voice raised and she begins chastising him Jerrick reflexively becomes guarded and looks fearful and flinches when she moves her hand while she is speaking. But it is subtle like unconscious motions, just shy of being micro responses.
Amber Dach wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:14 pm She shrugs and says to everyone present, “I’ll be back by the time the transport arrives.” She clicks on her secure radio to Susan. "I'm going to take a look for Jez. See if I can find out anything. Keep an eye on the newbies. Give me a holler if you need me." She jets off low to the ground with her jet pack as she searches for signs of both Jez and battlefield scavenge in the area Jez headed when the dropped.
As she gets on her bike Jerrick turns away and kind squats with his hands on his head seemingly centering himself and controlling his breathing. Damn it Jerrick get your s$&t together!! You got this. After about 30 seconds he stands up and looks at the remaining group and says, “Which way to the extraction point?”