The Barracks (13)

Government and Business District.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

The Barracks (13)

Postby Augur » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:25 am

The Barracks is the MercTown Defenders' Headquarters. Nearly everyone in town refers to the place simply as The Barracks. The base is strategically located in the center of town, right in the shadow of the Hub Battledome, which allows the Defenders to react quickly to any incidents or situations that might erupt from the Battledome or in the downtown area. It is a well-organized, military compound manned by 1,500 police and soldiers; close to half of the MercTown Defenders' entire force. Virtually all of the senior officers, command staff and headquarters elements are located at the Barracks. The intelligence corps, communications, logistics & supply department, transport, motor pool (mechanics/Operators), a few elements of the armored and heavy infantry battalions, the entire police force, urban tactical force and covert investigation squad all use the Barracks as their base of operations.

The compound is surrounded by a Mega-Damage chain link perimeter fence (has 4 M.D.C. per square foot) that is topped by Vibro-Razor Wire (does 206 M.D. per melee round to those touching or impaled on it). A gun tower (120 M.D.C. each) is located at each of the five comers of the compound. Two soldiers, a marksman, and a light power armor or full cyborg (all 1-3rd level) are stationed in each. Public access to the compound is provided by two gates : The Memorial Arch is the main, front gate with the honor guard , and a second public entrance is located on the opposite end. However, there are access gates in each of the fences for quick disbursement of troops in a crisis. Each is protected by a pair of Naruni NE-040 Point Defense Drones.

The structures within the Barracks compound are designed for military functionality rather than appearance, thus they are drab, basic designs. The main building is shaped like a blackish letter "C" or hollow square. This is the MercTown police and military headquarters building with dozens offices, conference rooms, several classrooms, two lecture halls, an auditorium, and a thoroughly modern communications center. In addition, the building has three basement levels which include a cell block, weapons vaults, and a nuclear power generator that supplies power to the entire compound. Other buildings include six barracks blocks to house soldiers, an expansive hangar where power armor, robots and armored vehicles are stored, a motor pool, mess hall, officers' club, and a parade square that is normally used for daily physical training but also for the occasional formal parade. Access to the main compound of the Barracks is restricted to members of the MercTown Defenders (police and military), and officials on state business. Residents and victims of crime who need to speak to the police are directed to the front of "C" building. Security is tight in the compound. Inside the main building there are numerous areas designated as high security zones that can only be accessed by passing through security check points with M.D.C. doors and DNA scanners. Three guards dressed in light armor and carrying ion pistols, stun guns and pulse-laser assault rifles are posted at each of these check points. Furthermore, all of the communications and computer systems in the building are protected by a state-of-the -art security program which makes hacking into the system difficult if not impossible (attempts to hack into the system suffer a penalty of -55% to the Computer Hacking skill).
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site, go to PayPal then make your donation to: lloyd.ritchey@gmail.com
Augur
Admin

Re: The Barracks (13)

Postby John » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:20 pm

Perception: 1d20+2 = 20
JIC: 1d20 = 20 / 1d100 = 52

Showered, shaved, dressed, and resupplied John enters the grounds of Defenders Headquarters looking for Lieutenant Dengh.
John Smith
Stats: 203 MDC, 243 PPE
Abilities: Spell Strength 13, Charm/Impress 90%, Invoke Trust/Intimidate 80%, Fire & Cold Resistant (half damage), Bio-Regeneration, Sense Rifts 150 miles, Sense Other Dimensional Disturbances (Teleportation, etc) 75 miles

Sharak (Avian Biomech Familiar)
Stats: 45 MDC
Abilities: Telescopic Vision (2 miles), Natural Radar (2000'), See the Invisible, Sense Evil, Impervious to Diseases that affect flesh & blood animals
John

Postby Venatus Vinco » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:31 am

The desk sergeant, a portly dwarf with a bionic eye, gives a curt acknowledgement of John's presence before typing something into a keyboard. His face flashes confusion for just a moment, but he quickly regains his composure.

"Wait here a minute," he says gruffly. After much more than a minute a MTD Lieutenant walks through the door - but it's not Dengh. His nameplate says "Fuller" and he looks up from his datapad, as if comparing the picture on there to John's face.

"Mister Smith, come on to my office." The pair winds through the barracks, past the day-to-day police offices and into the special tactics section. Fuller's office is small but packed with a lot of high tech equipment and an assortment of collectable firearms mounted on the wall. He motions for John to sit then gets into it, "I see you're a man of particular talents but in a little hot water after the little incident. Seems you could stand to get out of town for a while and it just so happens I need to get a message to a merc group operating in another dimension. You ever heard of the Paragon Acquisition Service? They were all the rage for a while in MercTown after a little altercation at the swap meet. Anyway, that's who I need you to find. They took a job in some place called Phase World. One of their boys recently passed by this way said they were out on some colony world - whatever that means. I got the name of the place from him and can give it to you if you take the job. Message is for a guy named Rocky, some info on an investigation he was entangled with."

Leaning back in his chair Fuller looks up at the ceiling for a minute, "I can probably pay you fifty thousand universal for the job. Rocky's loaded, so I'll put something in the message for him to sweeten the pot. You in?"
Venatus Vinco
Venatus Vinco
Game Master

Postby John » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:52 pm

Perception: 1d20+2 = 16
JIC: 1d20 = 8 / 1d100 = 25

John follows Fuller and sits where indicated, placing his rucksack on the floor next to him and crossing his legs comfortably. He smiles politely as he listens to the Lieutenant and on the mention of his recent legal troubles says, "Would the city prefer I not step in when I run into a Rakshasa scheming Gods know what?" From his tone the question is clearly rhetorical and he doesn't really expect an answer. Having only been in MercTown a day or so he's never heard of Paragon Acquisition Services and says as much while also searching his memory for information on Phase World (Lore: Dimensions 50%: 1d100 = 23).

Once Fuller has made his offer John says, "That sounds fine with me but I do hope the Defenders understand the threat this Rakshasa presents. She isn't here for the vibrant night life. Also, I'll need my expenses covered. Dimensional travel isn't a precise science and I could end up anywhere with a long road to travel to get to this colony." Standing, John offers his hand to shake on the arrangement. Assuming Fuller agrees he asks, "Do you have a photo of Rocky or can you describe him to me?"
John Smith
Abilities: Spell Strength 13, Charm/Impress 90%, Invoke Trust/Intimidate 80%, Fire & Cold Resistant (half damage), Bio-Regeneration, Sense Rifts 150 miles, Sense Other Dimensional Disturbances (Teleportation, etc) 75 miles

Abilities: Telescopic Vision (2 miles), Natural Radar (2000'), See the Invisible, Sense Evil, Impervious to Diseases that affect flesh & blood animals
John

Postby Venatus Vinco » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:28 pm

John quickly recalls some details about the Phase World dimension. In fact, it is a well known inter-dimensional hub, mainly through the fantastic city and planet known as Centre. From there the dimension is massive, expanding at least three galaxies and perhaps even further than that. Getting to Centre would be easy enough and, if the colony location was easier enough to find, a portal there should not be too hard. After that, there is still the matter of finding the PAS on the planet itself. However, given the expanse of the Megaverse Fuller had it narrowed down half-way decent.

As for the Rakshasa, Fuller just shrugs, "We had him under surveillance ever since he passed through the gates. Even his kind can move about here - you'd be surprised how many meta-morphed beings roam the city streets, and those are just the ones we know about. We're more concerned with what he's scheming. So, our SOP is to monitor. Don't want him to bring another demon army down on our heads just because we shot first and never asked questions."

Turning back to the mission the Lieutenant slides his datapad across the desk, [b]"Yeah, we got pictures of Rocky. Video too. We'll gladly share enough with you to make a positive ID. As for expenses, they can get out of control fast, especially off-world. How about I through in a 20% completion bonus instead?"
Venatus Vinco
Venatus Vinco
Game Master

Postby John » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:43 pm

Perception: 1d20+2 = 5
JIC: 1d20 = 16 / 1d100 = 34

John chuckles at Fuller's comment about covering expenses. "I'm not out to gouge you Lieutenant, Phase World spans several galaxies with hundreds if not thousands of worlds. Getting around it can be time consuming and expensive. Still, you want to limit your total cost just as I want to limit my expenses. So, how about this, I'll take your job, if you can see your way to advancing half the 50,000 now. I'll spend the next two weeks trying to find your man. If I find him you owe me the other half plus the bonus you mentioned. However, If I haven't found him in two weeks I'll come back and we can talk about how to proceed. If that happens I'll gladly submit myself to your psychics and they can tell you if I really tried or not. I'm sure you have someone on staff that can do that. Does that work for you?"
John Smith

John

Postby Venatus Vinco » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:11 pm

"Deal," Fuller says a little too quickly.

Giving his data pad to John, Fuller relays as much as they know, pictures or Rocky - and other members of the P.A.S. - the name of the colony world they are on, and some other pertinent details.

"I can get you to the planet they are on. Word is the planet hires mercs to defend some sort of agricultural operation, finding where our particular merc crew is stationed is hopefully just a matter of asking around."

Taking a sealed envelope from his desk the Lieutenant hands it to John, "This is the message for Rocky." He then turns to a cabinet marked "Evidence" and punches in a numeric code. Rifling through some evidence bags he finds one full of Unsecured Black Credit cards. Unsealing the bag he fishes a few out check their denominations until he has enough to add up to John's advance.

"No one really knows how much we recover in raids. This stuff was taken from a Deevil slave operation the PAS broke up before leaving on a mission to rescue some locals. Might as well put it to good use."

If there are no further questions, Fuller shows John back out to the front desk.
Venatus Vinco
Venatus Vinco
Game Master

Postby John » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:58 pm

Perception: 1d20+7 = 14
JIC: 1d20 = 4 / 1d100 = 28

John pulls his own tablet out of his rucksack and copies the relevant information about Rocky, P.A.S., and the mission from Fuller's datapad to his. Taking the envelope and the black cards he tucks everything into his pack and stands. Holding out his hand to shake he says, "Pleasure doing business with you Lieutenant, I'll be in touch," then grabs his bag and leaves The Barracks.

[Pony Express]
John Smith

John

Return to The Hub