New to Phase World on EU? READ THIS FIRST!

Home to house rules, approved player-created content for the setting, and both our character and adventure archives.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

New to Phase World on EU? READ THIS FIRST!

Postby Dark Lord » Mon May 21, 2007 11:11 am

Welcome to EU's Phase World game.

This post is an intro for folks brand-spanking new to the site. Those of you vets who are looking for more specific guidelines about character concepts, check below.

For those of you that are new:
If nothing else, read this or you will have to deal with a pissy dimension master during character creation.

PM is by far the best/fastest way to get in touch with me, on either site, which you can do once you've created an account. I'm usually on YIM during the week. Once you get in touch with me, I will do the following things:

1) Give you permission to post in Phase World's forums.
2) Pick a group for you if you don't have a specific preference.
3) Once you post your PROPERLY FORMATTED AND DETAILED character sheet, background, and equipment wishlist I will review all of the above. I'll send you a PM with any corrections I want made, and will edit your wishlist down to your final, starting equipment. For guidelines on this stuff, see below.

At that point, I'll kick you over to your GM and you won't hear from me again unless you quit posting. See below for post rate rules.

To be clear- Every group in this setting is part of an integrated meta-campaign that started in 2006 and has been supervised by me ever since. It's deliberately designed to be a flexible structure that can accommodate a wide range of character concepts and decisions, but this setting is not a free-for-all. GMs, not players, are the ultimate arbiters of who goes in a group and what that group's relation to the meta-campaign is. If something more free-form is your style, this setting may not be for you.

Phase World Character Creation Guidelines
Go here for a character sheet. Scroll up for a hint.

Mostly, as per Rifts: Ultimate Edition. Make sure you check P. 300 to see which secondary skills you can pick. A lot of people have difficulty with this.
    All characters start at 3rd level.
    If your OCC/RCC does not normally give out additional secondary skills as you level, you get two every third level. This does not apply to OCC/RCC related skills.
    Insanities are welcome (and occasionally rewarded with XP), but optional.
    I like big backgrounds. They occasionally earn bonus XP.

All PCs are required to use the site's built-in dice roller. It's easy, and once you get the hang of it it will make your posts much easier to write. If you're new to character creation on EU, that last link will explain the syntax. Post a reply to your character sheet that contains all the dice rolls needed for your character (attributes, SDC/MDC, PPE, credits, etc.) and nothing else. After I review your character sheet, that post will be deleted in its entirety.

Equipment Wishlists

You do not start with any:
Weapons
Armor
Vehicles
Nifty animal companions
etc.

You do start with:
Starting equipment
Credits

as per your normal RCC/OCC

You also post a wishlist. For your wishlist to be considered complete, it will at a minimum list one weapon, one suit of armor, and one vehicle (unless your OCC starts with a spaceship, in which case we'll work something out). Each of the above will have three alternatives- 'wet dream', 'good', and 'good enough', or some such. Give me a range of options and it will work in your favor. Deviate from the above instructions and your starting equipment will be slightly crappier.

Please note, though, that PW wish lists can be much more free form than those for the main EU game. I'll consider anything, so put it on. Want a familiar? Some extra spells? Maybe a couple different weapons. It's all on the table, so don't get afraid to get a little greedy.

Character Concept Guidelines

Rule #1- Concept comes first. As my #1 rule for RPGs in general is that everyone have fun, so too, my cardinal rule here is that any rule is negotiable. That's not to say I can't be a stubborn prick when I want to, but if you have a character concept that you're just dying to play, and one of my restrictions is getting in the way, I am willing to be convinced to waive it. Of course, you'll need to be damn convincing in order to bring me around (unless, of course, you're a DM/GM elsewhere on the site, in which case I'm more willing to be flexible).

Rule #2- NO RIFTS CLASSES- which does not mean 'no OCCs in any Rifts book'. However, Phase World and the Three Galaxies have a unique flavor substantially different from that of Rifts Earth, and I have every intention of keeping it that way. Now, some (probably even most) of the classes in Rifts are of a fairly generic nature (operators, TWs, mind melters, etc.), such that those types of characters could be found within PW without anyone so much as batting an eyelash. However, a Tolkeen Artifact Hunter, Mystic- or Cyber-Knight, Native American, etc. would have to come from Rifts Earth- those characters have a unique cultural context that would prevent them from being found anywhere aside from Earth. In other words, you want a second Rifts character, sign up to GM or mod and make it for Rifts. You want a Phase World character, that means he/she had better not so much as know Rifts Earth even exists (with occasional exceptions as outlined above)

Rule #3- NO MUNCHY. Extremely powerful characters will be reviewed THOROUGHLY prior to approval. Godlings, non-fallen Cosmo-Knights, and Promethians are some of the most powerful characters available in all of Palladium's games. Since PW has a well-deserved reputation as being Palladium's highest-powered setting, I will not categorically disallow such characters. However, if you want even a prayer of getting them approved, I want to see an impressive, well-developed background, character concept, and personality. Munchkins who can't roleplay to save their lives need not apply. Rest assured, characters of this stripe will be held to the highest possible role-playing standards.

Rule #4- Almost any non-Rifts-Earth allowed. Generally speaking, anything from the PW dimension books, Skraypers, Manhunter, the Atlantis/Splynn world books, and AU/PU is fine, as well as certain rifts classes as noted above. Characters from other games on EU will be considered for inclusion on a case-by-case basis. Material from the Rifter will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Randomly generated alien species from either the PW or AU tables will be allowed as player races, however, there are conditions. All races so generated will be subject to a full, separate approval process every bit as rigorous as what I put character sheets through. Additionally, custom-generated races will be denied if the submitted alien race does not also contain substantial notes on this species' 1) Culture, 2) Personality, 3) Homeworld, and 4) Political Relations with other species within the Three Galaxies. If you design a species, it needs to be more than a bland list of statistics. I expect some creativity involved, otherwise you can just pick out a species that has been generated for you.

Rule #5- Keep your signature current. While it is up to individual GMs to enforce this rule on their PCs, in general, I'd like to see:

A link to the character sheet. Use the URL tags.
    A number showing current / maximum values for: HP/SDC/MDC, PPE, ISP, and anything similar.
    A brief list of constantly active powers (i.e. sensing ley lines, nightvision, or sixth sense), optics systems, permanent resistances or vulnerabilities to certain types of damage, and anything else that you want to make sure the GM remembers when they're doing their post.

Generally speaking, you should use your equipment post on your character sheet to describe what your character is wearing/carrying at any given time, and detail where any excess equipment is stored (i.e. your quarters on the group's ship). In certain specific circumstances (for example an infiltration mission where your character is leaving most of their regular gear at home), the signature can be used to detail what your character is carrying for that mission.

However, keep it short. Nobody likes a signature that takes up half a page. The use of [size] tags to shrink the text in your signature is also strongly encouraged.

Post Rate Requirements
Per EU site guidelines, GMs and players are both expected to post weekly. Though, weekly GM posts are more aspirational than fact at this point.
If a character goes two weeks (two GM posts) without an in-character post, they will receive a warning from me. If said character has not posted within one week (one GM post) of the warning, their account will be deleted, their character sheet archived, and their GM will kill or otherwise write out the character in an entertaining fashion.
If you go for an extended period of time (say, a month or two) only posting every other week, I'll get more aggressive- post every week or get a warning.
If a player anticipates an extended absence or other period during which they will be unable to post, a brief update in the Account Status Tracker will ensure that your characters do not run afoul of the above requirements. Dates and/or duration of inactivity are required for posts to the status tracker.
Players who think they will be unable to post for a long period of time, and are unsure as to when they will be able to resume posting regularly can contact me to withdraw their PC from the game without prejudice. Depending on the expected length of the absence, they will either be placed on inactive status but stay with their group in-game, or removed from the game entirely. Players who withdraw without flaking can resume playing at any time, assuming their group has an open slot for them. Flakes who want to rejoin the game must talk to me- I reserve the right to veto, or attach any conditions to, said return.

Bribery
I offer standing bounties of bonus XP for anyone who wants to enrich the setting by adding new material to it (check the other threads in this forum for examples), update group histories, do deck plans of group space ships, etc. Check with your GM for details.
Why kill a PC when you can torture them?
ImageImageImage
Dark Lord
Dimension Master

Phase World Character Sheet Template

Postby Dark Lord » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:24 am

Tip- to use the below character sheet and preserve the formatting, copy the section in the code block.

Code: Select all
This is what a code block looks like.
Last edited by Dark Lord on Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Dark Lord
Dimension Master

Postby Dark Lord » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:24 am

Player Name: Your first name only--for real! What yo' momma gave ya!

Character Name:
Alias:
Race:
O.C.C.:
Alignment:
XP Level:
XP Points:
Next Level @ XP:
Sentiments/Non-Humans:
Disposition:
Insanity: TO BE DETERMINED VIA CHAT WITH THE GAME MASTER ONCE PC SHEET IS COMPLETED

ATTRIBUTES
I.Q.:
M.E.:
M.A.:
P.S.:
P.P.:
P.E.:
P.B.:
Speed:

PHYSICAL DATA
P.P.E.: Delete if not applicable
I.S.P.: Delete if not applicable
H.P.: Delete if not applicable
S.D.C.: Delete if not applicable
M.D.C.: Delete if not applicable
Height:
Weight:
Description: Be brief here folks, just a few lines at most

Racial Abilities
Delete if not applicable

Natural Abilities
Perception Bonus: see rules here
Charm/Impress: (P.B. 15=25%, 14=20%, etc.)
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: (M.A. 15=35%, 14=30%, etc.)
Max. Encumbrance: see rules here
Max. Carrying Weight:
Max. Lifting Weight:
Max. Jumping Ability: see rules here

Special Abilities
Delete if not applicable

Bionics & Cybernetics

Psionics
Minor, Major, Master Psionic?
Delete if not applicable

Spell Knowledge
Spell Strength: (starts at 12 in most cases)
Delete if not applicable

O.C.C. Skills
Skill name--Totaled %

O.C.C. Related Skills
Skill name--Totaled %

Secondary Skills
Skill name--Totaled %

Combat Data
HTH Type:
Number of Attacks:
Initiative Bonus:
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus:
Dodge Bonus:
Auto-Dodge Bonus: Delete if not applicable
HTH Damage Bonus:
Bonus to Roll w/Punch:
Bonus to Pull a Punch:
Bonus to Disarm:
Other:

Robot Combat Data: (specify type here) Delete if not applicable
Number of Attacks:
Initiative Bonus:
Melee Strike Bonus:
Ranged Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus:
Dodge Bonus:
Auto-Dodge Bonus: Delete if not applicable
HTH Damage Bonus:
Bonus to Roll w/Punch:
Bonus to Pull a Punch:
Bonus to Disarm:
Other:

Weapon Proficiencies
Aimed Shots: +3 to Strike Bonus (costs 2 actions)
Burst Shots: +1 to Strike Bonus
Called/Aimed Shots: +3 to Strike Bonus, 12+ Strike Roll Required (costs 3 actions)
Melee Called Shots: No bonus to Strike, No extra action cost

W.P. name--List totaled bonuses from W.P. only

Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death:
Magic (varies):
Lethal Poison (14+):
Non-Lethal Poison (16+):
Insanity (12+):
Psionics (varies):
Horror Factor (varies):
Add others as needed

Player Name: [color=#FF0000]Your first name only--for real! What yo' momma gave ya![/color]
G-Mail: [color=#FF0000]Make sure this is in your profile too, or I'll send you a computer virus![/color]

[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Alias:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]O.C.C.:[/b]
[b]Alignment:[/b]
[b]XP Level:[/b]
[b]XP Points:[/b]
[b]Next Level @ XP:[/b]
[b]Sentiments/Non-Humans:[/b]
[b]Disposition:[/b]
[b]Insanity:[/b] [color=red]TO BE DETERMINED VIA CHAT WITH THE GAME MASTER ONCE PC SHEET IS COMPLETED[/color]

[u][b]ATTRIBUTES[/b][/u]
I.Q.:
M.E.:
M.A.:
P.S.:
P.P.:
P.E.:
P.B.:
Speed:

[b][u]PHYSICAL DATA[/u][/b]
P.P.E.: [color=red]Delete if not applicable[/color]
I.S.P.: [color=red]Delete if not applicable[/color]
H.P.: [color=red]Delete if not applicable[/color]
S.D.C.: [color=red]Delete if not applicable[/color]
M.D.C.: [color=red]Delete if not applicable[/color]
Height:
Weight:
Description: [color=red]Be brief here folks, just a few lines at most[/color]

[b][u]Racial Abilities[/u][/b]
[color=red]Delete if not applicable[/color]

[b][u]Natural Abilities[/u][/b]
Perception Bonus: [size=85][url=http://www.explorersunlimited.com/eu/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4177]see rules here[/url][/size]
Charm/Impress: [color=#008000][size=85](P.B. 15=25%, 14=20%, etc.)[/size][/color]
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: [color=#008000][size=85](M.A. 15=35%, 14=30%, etc.)[/size][/color]
Max. Encumbrance: [size=85][url=http://www.explorersunlimited.com/eu/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4619]see rules here[/url][/size]
Max. Carrying Weight:
Max. Lifting Weight:
Max. Jumping Ability: [size=85][url=http://www.explorersunlimited.com/eu/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4619]see rules here[/url][/size]

[b][u]Special Abilities[/u][/b]

[b][u]Bionics & Cybernetics[/u][/b]
[color=#0040FF][i]Location[/i][/color]

[b][u]Psionics[/u][/b]
[color=#0040FF][i]Minor, Major, Master Psionic?[/i][/color]

[b][u]Spell Knowledge[/u][/b]
[i][color=#0040FF]Spell Strength: (starts at 12 in most cases)[/color][/i]

[b][u]O.C.C. Skills[/u][/b]
[color=red]Skill name--Totaled %[/color]

[b][u]O.C.C. Related Skills [/u][/b]

[b][u]Secondary Skills[/u][/b]

[u][b]Combat Data[/b][/u]
HTH Type:
Number of Attacks:
Initiative Bonus:
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus:
Dodge Bonus:
Auto-Dodge Bonus: [color=red]Delete if not applicable[/color]
HTH Damage Bonus:
Bonus to Roll w/Punch:
Bonus to Pull a Punch:
Bonus to Disarm:
Other:

[u][b]Robot Combat Data: (specify type here)[/b][/u] [color=red]Delete if not applicable[/color]
Number of Attacks:
Initiative Bonus:
Melee Strike Bonus:
Ranged Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus:
Dodge Bonus:
Auto-Dodge Bonus: [color=red]Delete if not applicable[/color]
HTH Damage Bonus:
Bonus to Roll w/Punch:
Bonus to Pull a Punch:
Bonus to Disarm:
Other:

[b][u]Weapon Proficiencies[/u][/b]
[size=85][color=#0000FF][i]Aimed Shots: +3 to Strike Bonus (costs 2 actions)
Burst Shots: +1 to Strike Bonus
Called/Aimed Shots: +3 to Strike Bonus, 12+ Strike Roll Required (costs 3 actions)
Melee Called Shots: No bonus to Strike, No extra action cost[/i][/color][/size]
[color=red]W.P. name--List totaled bonuses from W.P. only[/color]

[b][u]Saving Throw Bonuses[/u][/b]
Coma/Death:
Magic (varies):
Lethal Poison (14+):
Non-Lethal Poison (16+):
Insanity (12+):
Psionics (varies):
Horror Factor (varies):
[color=red]Add others as needed[/color]

Equipment Wish List
Post as a reply to your finalized character sheet
For wish list guidelines, go here:
http://www.explorersunlimited.com/eu/vi ... 64#p222064

[u][b]Equipment Wish List[/b][/u]
[color=red]Post as a reply to your finalized character sheet[/color]
[color=blue]For wish list guidelines, go here:[/color]
http://www.explorersunlimited.com/eu/viewtopic.php?p=222064#p222064

Background Story
Post as a reply to your finalized character sheet

[u][b]Background Story[/b][/u]
[color=red]Post as a reply to your finalized character sheet[/color]
ImageImageImage
Dark Lord
Dimension Master

Explorer Points In Phase World

Postby Dark Lord » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:36 am

For the vast majority of the EP system, everything works the same in Phase World as it does in the main MercTown game. Consult the forum regarding any details. The one exception is dimensional unlocks, detailed below.

DIMENSIONAL UNLOCKS
Note that this list has been modified extensively from that for the main Merctown game. It is solely intended as a reference for players of the Phase World game. It does not replace the review process for new PCs, and all new players are strongly encouraged to run their character concepts by Dark Lord before starting work on the character sheet and redeeming relevant EP.

Obviously, a comprehensive list of all OCCs/RCCs in Palladium’s system, and their suitability for this game, is impractical. I may have missed something in putting this list together. When in doubt, message DL to see how much EP your specific character idea will cost.

Category Definitions
Native (Three Galaxies/Manhunter)
All classes from the following books: Rifts: Manhunter, Phase world, Phase world sourcebook, Anvil Galaxy, Three Galaxies, Naruni Wave 2, Thundercloud Galaxy, Atlantis, Splynn, Sourcebook 1, Bionics Sourcebook, Conversion Book 2.

Native (Generic Classes)
Select character classes from the following books: Rifts: Ultimate Edition, Conversion Book 1, Megaverse Builder, Rifts: Mercenaries, Mercenary Adventures, Vampire Kingdoms: Revised, England, Africa, Triax/NGR, South America, Juicer Uprising, Psyscape, Federation of Magic, Warlords of Russia, Mystic Russia, Canada, D-Bees of North America.

What does ‘select’ mean? Characters that have no specific ties to Earth as a setting. Phase World P. 43 details some examples from earlier books that should give you some idea of what I’m looking for- but if a character can conceivably exist in the Three Galaxies without having come from Earth (or having been trained/descended from someone who came from Earth), then it generally qualifies as generic. When in doubt, ask DL. As a rule, I am a little more permissive of RCCs than OCCs in this regard, and whenever there’s a question I always read the background blurb of the class in question to see how likely it is to exist independent of any ties to Earth.

Examples
Generic classes: Operator, techno-wizard, warlock, gargoyles.
Non-generic classes: Cyber-knight, Dog boy, Psi-Stalker, Tolkeen Artifact Hunter, any CS OCC.

Native (Earth)
Includes characters from: Coalition War Campaign, Vanguard, Lone Star, New West, Spirit West, Free Quebec, Xiticix Invasion, Dinosaur Swamp, Adventures in Dinosaur Swamp, Arzno, Madhaven, Coalition Navy, Black Market, Mutants in Orbit, Japan, South America 2, Triax 2, Mindwerks, Underseas, Lemuria, Australia, China 1+2 (with standard penalties applied for leaving China), as well as any character classes in the above books that are ruled to be not generic.

Native (Aliens Unlimited)
Characters from: Skraypers, Heroes Unlimited, Aliens Unlimited, Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide, made according to Rifts rules.

Conversion (Aliens Unlimited)
Includes characters from Skraypers, Heroes Unlimited, Aliens Unlimited, and Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide made according to Heroes Unlimited rules. Does not include HU2 characters rifted in from 21st Century Earth (see below).

EP Costs
In addition to EP costs associated with getting an additional account.
(0 EP) Native (Three Galaxies/Manhunter), Native (Generic), Native (Aliens Unlimited)
(1 EP) Robotech/Macross 2, Wormwood
(2 EP) Conversion (Aliens Unlimited)
(3 EP) Mechanoids (including Sourcebook 2)
(5 EP) Brand-new character empowered by the Book of Heroes (Heroes of the Megaverse)
(10 EP) Native (Earth). +15 EP if the character class is an Earth native and is also on the high-powered list here.
Not allowed: Palladium Fantasy, Beyond the Supernatural, Ninjas & Superspies/Mystic China, Dead Reign, Nightbane, HU2 characters from Earth, Chaos Earth

Note that, aside from the above exception for Earth natives, high-powered characters in this Phase World game do not require additional EP expenditure beyond those tied to dimensional origin above.

Addendum: Additional divine powers for Godlings/Demigods made using the rules in Conversion Book 2 are also available for EP purchase, except for the magic/psionic power options (#s 9 and 10 on CB2, P. 16). All additional divine powers are priced the same as a non-random major super power. Note that this rule is exclusive to the Phase World dimension- characters availing themselves of it are very unlikely to be welcome elsewhere on the site.
ImageImageImage
Dark Lord
Dimension Master

Re: Phase World Character Sheet Template

Postby Dark Lord » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:40 pm

Signature Guidelines
This is a new guideline I'm going to make mandatory for my group. Its use in other PW groups is encouraged, but not required. I think it does deviate a little from the site-wide guidelines, but I couldn't find them to compare so we'll just have to live with that.

The goal of this post is to help players organize information that your GM will need to have at their fingertips when doing an update. Hopefully, this will result in a more-or-less standardized format that will ensure I don't miss relevant information. Generally speaking, I prefer a 'less is more' approach to presenting information- the less crowded your signature is, the higher the likelihood that I will see only the relevant stuff.

Equipment should be managed on your character sheet. You have a dedicated post to allocate your gear- what is worn, what is in-hand, and what is stored (and where). I don't generally feel the need for PCs to have whatever weapons they're using listed in their signature when a simple note on the equipment post will suffice just as well. The one exception is armor, detailed below.

Conditions also bear mention. These are temporary effects, typically induced by a spell or psionic power. These should likewise not be listed in your signature, but rather at the top of each post with your JIC/PER rolls. That way, you can track the duration as time passes. This is also a good spot to track your ammunition.

For everything else, put it in your signature. Specifically, I want to see:

- A link to your character sheet
- Running totals of your PPE and ISP, if applicable.
- A running total of any permanent MDC your character has. This includes force fields, main body of armor, and natural MDC. Do not include spell protection here- that is a condition and should be listed as such. Don't list the full set of MDC by location for your armor, either, unless one of those locations takes damage.
- Any 'always on' abilities- sensing ley lines, nightvision, etc. The briefer the description, the better- listing items in your signature should be thought of as a reminder to the GM that they're there. I can always reference your character sheet if I need more detail.

If you're unsure where to list something, it never hurts to ask the GM.
ImageImageImage
Dark Lord
Dimension Master

Addendum (DRAFT)

Postby Dark Lord » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:40 am

Heroes of the Megaverse
I've decided to allow characters empowered by the Book of Heroes. This will involve the Book visiting dreams, rather than physically appearing. This is an experiment- I reserve the right to cancel it if these powers seem to be unbalancing the game for non-Book heroes (I'm not too worried, but want this caveat in at the get-go).

Furthermore, there is a huge spread in the power level of the abilities the Book can grant. Characters made using these rules will need to have their power list reviewed early on by myself (and Consumer, if the character will be going to the Rogues), and we likewise reserve the right to tell the player to reroll the powers they've gotten if we feel it necessary.

Book heroes will cost 5 EP to unlock. Characters start at level 1. Use the site dice roller to roll on quick roll tables for everything, players who roll to have two or three abilities may select one of them (the rest, and all powers for characters with four) are rolled randomly. Characters made in this manner cannot have any in-born spell-casting, psionic, or super abilities.
ImageImageImage
Dark Lord
Dimension Master

Return to The DM's Notes