Character Creation

Character creation process, setting information, and RULES are located here.

Moderators: Zilant, Game Masters, AGMs

Character Creation

Postby Zilant » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:41 am

Character Creation Rules

1) Do your research! Find out if this site really is for you! You have 2 weeks from the date you registered to complete your PC and start playing, after that you will be warned and shortly after your account will be deleted!

2) Make sure you fully understand all the rules and contact me if something is unclear or if you have questions--DO THIS AT ANY TIME IF YOU ARE UNSURE.

3) You MUST have a Google account to even be considered for game play. I use Google Hangouts to notify people of changes, updates, etcetera. Trillion and other chat services that can interface with Google Hangouts are also acceptable.

4) Once you have chosen which SLOT you wish to reserve for your own play choose a name for that character and REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT using that character's name. No "l33t-speak" or other nonsensical account names will be kept. Your account name should be the name that your character will use in conversation with the other players on-site.

5) Once your account has been activated, get on Google Hangouts with Zilant to find out if the PC you wish to make will be allowed. Once you've got the "green light" you should then ROLL UP YOUR PC taking note of these Character Creation Rules and using the Character Sheet Template as the basis for your on-line PC sheet. Send me a PM, E-mail, or catch me on Hangouts and we'll discuss the specifics of your character and whether or not I think you're right for the game. If you lack materials, this is where I will guide you through a character creation process via Hangouts.

6) Instructions on using the Character Sheet Template:
--IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS EXPLICITLY YOU WILL MESS UP AND DELAY YOUR GAMING.
--go to the thread, hit QUOTE as if to quote/reply
--copy & paste or type the information/character data into the quoted areas
--once finished, copy the whole she-bang and post it to the Recruitment forum.

6.1) Be creative!

6.2) All characters start at experience level 3.

6.3) If I see bonuses over +9 I scrutinize the character sheet very closely.

6.4) No Miscreant or Diabolic alignments allowed. No exceptions!

6.5) When Rolling up your attributes, use 4d6 and discard the lowest die roll. Alien races: use one additional die more than is called for in your race's attributes and discard the lowest die roll.

6.6) Skills
● Don't forget that you might have additional skills granted by your 3rd level status!
● Post your skills separately according to the Character Sheet Template.
● Remember that only certain skills may be learned as Secondary Skills (p.47 HU2).
● Please indicate newly learned skills (skills not the same level as the PC) by making a small note in parentheses in size 9 font.
● ● Example: (3rd) Botany--65% (+5%)
● Skill percentages must be totaled taking into account:
● ● IQ Bonus, if any.
● ● Levels advanced in that skill.
● ● It is recommended that the per level advancement %'s be posted after the totaled skill in parentheses.
● ● Perfect Example: Botany--65% (+5%)

6.7) Equipment List
● Equipment will be posted separately as a reply to the PC sheet.
● Post your standard gear (backpack, sacks, etc.) as per your class description. Make sure to include your life savings.

6.8) The Exceptional Attribute Rule
● The following Characters start as human and thus get to use the exception Attribute Roll: Athanatos, Doppelgangers, Humans, Nightbane, and Wampyrs.
● Results of a 6 on bonus die result in further bonus die rolls until a non-6 result is obtained.
● 30 is the absolute ceiling for any exceptional attribute and the odds of this happening are astronomical.
● All attribute rolls are done prior to inclusion of class attribute bonuses.
● The Penalties for Low Attributes rules found in RUE are in effect. (p.282-284)
● The compensatory optional rule for low attributes found in RUE is forbidden. (p.282)

7) Background Stories
● Will be posted as a reply to the PC sheet after the Equipment List has been posted.
● Once posted, your PC will be ready to play in Nightbane.
● A minimum of two paragraphs of background story are required, other than that write as much as you feel is appropriate to explain your PC.
● Make this the best writing of which you are capable!
● You will be denied playing on-site if you cannot write clearly or demonstrate a grasp of basic English grammar & punctuation.

8) Secondary Skill Progression
● Each character in the Nightbane setting will receive 1 new secondary skill at levels 3, 5, 7, 10 and 13 unless specifically stated otherwise in the Character Class description. (Edited per the most common listing for secondary skills in occupations in the NSG.)

9) Classes from games outside of Nightbane system (N&SS, BTS) are not allowed unless unlocked with EP and cleared in discussion with the GM.

10) When you see that your posted character sheet no longer says (needs approval) you should select an avatar that fits your character's description. You will also likely receive an IM notifying you that your PC has been approved.
Zilant

Re: Character Creation

Postby Zilant » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:43 am

Nightbane CHARACTER SHEET TEMPLATE

Player Name: Your first name only--for real! What yo' momma gave ya!
G-Mail: Make sure this is in your profile too, or I'll send you a computer virus!

Character Name:
Alias:
Race:
O.C.C.:
Alignment:
XP Level:
XP Points:
Next Level @ XP:
Faction:
Sentiments/Nightlords:
Sentiments/Nightbane:
Sentiments/Guardians:
Sentiments/Vampires:
Sentiments/Athanatos:
Sentiments/Humans:
Disposition:
Insanity: TO BE DETERMINED VIA YIM CHAT WITH THE GAME MASTER ONCE PC SHEET IS COMPLETED

ATTRIBUTES
I.Q.:
M.E.:
M.A.:
P.S.:
P.P.:
P.E.:
P.B.:
Speed:

PHYSICAL DATA
P.P.E.: Delete if not applicable
I.S.P.: Delete if not applicable
H.P.: Delete if not applicable
S.D.C.: Delete if not applicable
Height:
Weight:
Description: Be brief here folks, just a few lines at most

Racial Abilities
Delete if not applicable

Natural Abilities
Perception Bonus: see rules here
Charm/Impress: (P.B. 15=25%, 14=20%, etc.)
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: (M.A. 15=35%, 14=30%, etc.)
Max. Encumbrance: see rules here
Max. Carrying Weight:
Max. Lifting Weight:
Max. Jumping Ability: see rules here

Special Abilities
Delete if not applicable

Morpheus/Gregorian Traits
Delete if not applicable

Psionics
Minor, Major, Master Psionic?
Delete if not applicable

Spell Knowledge
Spell Strength: (starts at 12 in most cases)
Delete if not applicable

Nightbane Talents
Delete if not applicable

O.C.C. Skills
Skill name--Totaled %

O.C.C. Related Skills
Skill name--Totaled %

Secondary Skills
Skill name--Totaled %

Combat Data
HTH Type:
Number of Attacks:
Initiative Bonus:
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus:
Dodge Bonus:
Auto-Dodge Bonus: Delete if not applicable
HTH Damage Bonus:
Bonus to Roll w/Punch:
Bonus to Pull a Punch:
Bonus to Disarm:
Other:

Weapon Proficiencies
Aimed Shots: +3 to Strike Bonus (costs 2 actions)
Burst Shots: +1 to Strike Bonus
Called/Aimed Shots: +3 to Strike Bonus, 12+ Strike Roll Required (costs 3 actions)
Melee Called Shots: No bonus to Strike, No extra action cost

W.P. name--List totaled bonuses from W.P. only

Saving Throw Bonuses
Coma/Death:
Magic (varies):
Lethal Poison (14+):
Non-Lethal Poison (16+):
Insanity (12+):
Psionics (varies):
Horror Factor (varies):
Add others as needed

NOTE: Do not include leveling information on your character sheet. Gaining a new level is fairly infrequent in Palladium's games, so the inclusion of such is deemed to be CLUTTER, and you will be notified to remove such.

Code: Select all
Player Name: [color=#FF0000]Your first name only--for real! What yo' momma gave ya![/color]
G-Mail: [color=#FF0000]Make sure this is in your profile too, or I'll send you a computer virus![/color]

[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Alias:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]O.C.C.:[/b]
[b]Alignment:[/b]
[b]XP Level:[/b]
[b]XP Points:[/b]
[b]Next Level @ XP:[/b]
[b]Faction:[/b]
[b]Sentiments/Nightlords:[/b]
[b]Sentiments/Nightbane:[/b]
[b]Sentiments/Guardians:[/b]
[b]Sentiments/Vampires:[/b]
[b]Sentiments/Athanatos:[/b]
[b]Sentiments/Humans:[/b]
[b]Disposition:[/b]
[b]Insanity:[/b] [color=red]TO BE DETERMINED VIA YIM CHAT WITH THE GAME MASTER ONCE PC SHEET IS COMPLETED[/color]

[u][b]ATTRIBUTES[/b][/u]
I.Q.:
M.E.:
M.A.:
P.S.:
P.P.:
P.E.:
P.B.:
Speed:

[b][u]PHYSICAL DATA[/u][/b]
P.P.E.: [color=red]Delete if not applicable[/color]
I.S.P.: [color=red]Delete if not applicable[/color]
H.P.: [color=red]Delete if not applicable[/color]
S.D.C.: [color=red]Delete if not applicable[/color]
Height:
Weight:
Description: [color=red]Be brief here folks, just a few lines at most[/color]

[b][u]Racial Abilities[/u][/b]
[color=red]Delete if not applicable[/color]

[b][u]Natural Abilities[/u][/b]
Perception Bonus: [size=85][url=http://www.explorersunlimited.com/eu/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4177]see rules here[/url][/size]
Charm/Impress: [color=#008000][size=85](P.B. 15=25%, 14=20%, etc.)[/size][/color]
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: [color=#008000][size=85](M.A. 15=35%, 14=30%, etc.)[/size][/color]
Max. Encumbrance: [size=85][url=http://www.explorersunlimited.com/eu/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4619]see rules here[/url][/size]
Max. Carrying Weight:
Max. Lifting Weight:
Max. Jumping Ability: [size=85][url=http://www.explorersunlimited.com/eu/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4619]see rules here[/url][/size]

[b][u]Special Abilities[/u][/b]

[b][u]Morpheus/Gregorian Traits[/u][/b]

[b][u]Psionics[/u][/b]
[color=#0040FF][i]Minor, Major, Master Psionic?[/i][/color]

[b][u]Spell Knowledge[/u][/b]
[i][color=#0040FF]Spell Strength: (starts at 12 in most cases)[/color][/i]

[b][u]Nightbane Talents[/u][/b]

[b][u]O.C.C. Skills[/u][/b]
[color=red]Skill name--Totaled %[/color]

[b][u]O.C.C. Related Skills [/u][/b]

[b][u]Secondary Skills[/u][/b]

[u][b]Combat Data[/b][/u]
HTH Type:
Number of Attacks:
Initiative Bonus:
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus:
Dodge Bonus:
Auto-Dodge Bonus: [color=red]Delete if not applicable[/color]
HTH Damage Bonus:
Bonus to Roll w/Punch:
Bonus to Pull a Punch:
Bonus to Disarm:
Other:

[b][u]Weapon Proficiencies[/u][/b]
[size=85][color=#0000FF][i]Aimed Shots: +3 to Strike Bonus (costs 2 actions)
Burst Shots: +1 to Strike Bonus
Called/Aimed Shots: +3 to Strike Bonus, 12+ Strike Roll Required (costs 3 actions)
Melee Called Shots: No bonus to Strike, No extra action cost[/i][/color][/size]
[color=red]W.P. name--List totaled bonuses from W.P. only[/color]

[b][u]Saving Throw Bonuses[/u][/b]
Coma/Death:
Magic (varies):
Lethal Poison (14+):
Non-Lethal Poison (16+):
Insanity (12+):
Psionics (varies):
Horror Factor (varies):
[color=red]Add others as needed[/color]
Zilant

Postby Zilant » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:51 am

Nightbane Character Races:
Free Races
Humans (Earth Native)
Nightbane (Earth Native...presumably)

1 EP
Doppelgangers (Nightlands Native)

2 EP
Snake Birds (Nightlands Native)
Vaash (Nightlands Import)

3 EP
Guardians (Earth Native Altered human)
Wampyr (Earth Native Altered human)

4 EP
Flint People (Astral Plane Expatriot Nightlands Import)

5 EP
Athanatos (Earth Native Altered human)

6 EP
Necrophim (Astral Plane Native)

Demographic note: Any Race that costs more than 2 EP there should not be more than 1 of in any group.
Zilant

Postby Zilant » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:53 am

Nightbane Character Classes:

EP and Notes for Character Classes from Nightbane Books:
Any character class named but with no notes can probably be used as is.
Athanatos Paths are the only CCs available to Athanatos, and can only be taken by Athanatos. They are simply listed here for the sake of completeness.

Psychic Classes:
First of all, Psychic are never Nightbane, Nightbane lack the ability to gain psychic powers, they gain Nightbane talents instead. Psychic classes are in basic only available to Humans and Doppelgangers. Wampyr and Athanatos have psychic abilities, but follow their own RCC rules for gaining powers.

Acolyte
Athanatos - Deceiver
Athanatos - Defender
Athanatos - Druid
Athanatos - Infiltrator
Athanatos - Magii
Athanatos - Necromancer
Athanatos - Scourge
Athanatos - Seer
Athanatos - Valiant
Athanatos - Vindicator
Kinetic
Natural Genius - Technical Note: Characters from HU of the Physical Training and Special Training categories may be created as natives using this class at a slight EP cost.
PAB Psychic Agent
Psi-Dampener
Psi-Hacker
Psi-Illusionist
Psi-Leech
Psi-Mechanic
Psi-Shadow
Templar Dark Slayer
The Psychic

Psychic Classes requiring EP Unlock:
1 EP Vaash Shaman - A moderately powerful Psychic upgrade of the Vaash, with 4 extra Psychic abilities. I will assign it only a 1 EP cost.
2 EP Mind Master - Notably more powerful than other psychics on Earth, a penalty of 2 EP is assessed to this class.
3 EP Psychic Bloodhound - One of the few creatures that can see through a Facade. Could be troublesome, I am putting a 3 EP cost on it.
5 EP Psi-Shaper - Effectively a variation of an Astral Lord, though less powerful on the astral plane, but a bit more powerful in the real world. I rate them as equivalent to the Dream Dancer, a 5 EP penalty.
5 EP Dream Dancer - The Least powerful of the Psychic Dimensional Classes, a Dream Dancer still is primarily for play in another world, in his case the Dream Dimension. By nature, his focus detracts from play in the main setting. The character is given a stiff creation penalty of 5 EP to discourage people from playing one.
7 EP Astral Lord - The Astral Lord is a powerful character, but is mainly a character intended for play in another world, namely the Astral Plane. On Earth or in the Nightlands, he is not as powerful. By nature, his focus detracts from play in the main setting. The character is given a stiff creation penalty of 7 EP to discourage people from playing one.
7 EP Dream Maker - Like the Astral Lord, a Dream Maker is a powerful character, but is mainly a character intended for play in another world, namely the Astral Plane. On Earth or in the Nightlands, he is not as powerful. By nature, his focus detracts from play in the main setting. The character is given a stiff creation penalty of 7 EP to discourage people from playing one.

Magic Classes:
I see no reason that Nightbane could not learn other magic classes in general, though there are specific limitations.

Arcane Detective - Not overly powerful, but very rare. Because of scarcity, I will limit this class to one member in play at a time.
Channeler - A channeler is a variation of a Mystic. There is no particular reason why a Nightbane Channeler could not exist, substituting Nightbane Talents for Psychic Powers. However, beware the fact that your powers come from an unknown source...and if you ever face that source you might find them lost or even turned against your allies.
Cybermage - The psychic powers of the class could possibly find a substitute in the Nightbane talents of Bookworm, Iron Will, Lightning Rider, and Deus Ex Machinae and in the Morphus Trait Computer Mind. A nightbane Sorcerer with those talents and that trait could possibly become a Cybermage...but it would be a second class and follow the rules for changing OCC.
Geo Immortal - This class is focused on granting powers in a way that is similar to the nature of the Nightbane...as such the Nightbane would see no reason to study this class.
Flesh Sculpter
Mirrormage
Mystic
Nightbane Mystic
Nightbane Sorcerer
Shadow Warlock - This class is focused on granting powers in a way that is similar to the nature of the Nightbane...as such the Nightbane would see no reason to study this class.

Magical Classes requiring EP Unlock
2 EP Fallen Guardian - Guardians only, obviously enough. There are reasons this class is not going to be common to a PC, it is more or less an Upgrade for the Guardian, and as such is assessed a 2 EP penalty.
9 EP Astral Mage - The Astral Mage is the most powerful of the Dimensional classes character, but is mainly a character intended for play in another world, namely the Astral Plane. On Earth or in the Nightlands, he is not as powerful, but is still every bit as potent as your typical Sorcerer. By nature, his focus detracts from play in the main setting. The character is given a stiff creation penalty of 9 EP to discourage people from playing one. Nightbane need to be a Sorcerer and have the Astral Self Talent to consider gaining this class, which follows the standard rules of needing the character to be Level 5 before taking a second class.

Basic Classes:
For the most part, there is no reason why a Nightbane could not be most any basic class. Other races, generally speaking, can not take the Nightbane classes listed.

ADA Field Agent
Epsilon Trooper
Ex-Agent
PAB Field Agent
Pandora Project Researcher
Nightbane: Basic
Nightbane: Guerrilla
Nightbane: Scholar
Nightbane: Warlord
Nocturne Collector
Sword Bearer - Because of the PPE cost of linking to their Artifact, this class is not available to Nightbane. A Swordbearer's weapon is always a Greatest Artifact, however, as a house rule, I will start the character with only two artifact powers and allow the purchase of additional powers at a cost of the square of the current number of powers in EP (IE, the third power costs 4 EP, the fourth costs 9 EP, and a fifth would cost 16 EP). Maximum of 6 powers on one item. Powers are intended to be added one at a time with leveling, no more than one power added per level of experience.

Basic Classes requiring EP Unlock:
2 EP Doppelganger Warlord - Restricted to Doppelgangers, obviously enough...and further it requires a Doppelganger who was loyal to their Nightlord to survive the upgrade. Generally, a Warlord will only go rogue on the death of their Nightlord master. The Upgrade will cost 2 EP.
3 EP Hell Rider - A class not native to Earth, a Hell Rider is a character who knows how to survive in the wastes of the Nightlands. He is the least of the Dimensional Classes, and is only assessed a 3 EP charge for not being something most characters can learn on Earth.

Demographic Notes:
1) Any class with an EP cost there should only be one of in a given player group.
2) Most arcane classes, other than the Mystic and Sorcerer, are quite rare and there should also be no more than one of any of them in a given group.
Zilant

Postby Zilant » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:08 am

While insanity in nightbane is surprisingly rare considering the trauma they endure, it is common enough to require a roll vs insanity during character creation. Certain types of insanity are more common in Nightbane characters than in the general population, the table below is intended for Nightbane, other characters should still use the general insanity table if they fail the roll.

Common Nightbane Insanity Table:

01-10% Death Wish
11-15% Superman Syndrome
16-20% Doctor Jekyll & Mister Hyde Syndrome
21-25% Recluse
26-30% Nightbane-centric
31-40% Scared secret identity will be discovered
41-45% Gloom and Doom
46-50% Performance Anxiety
51-55% Post-Traumatic Syndrome
56-60% Evil Seed Syndrome
61-70% Common Nightbane Phobia
71-80% Common Nightbane Obsession
81-85% Roll on the Random Phobia or Obsession Table in the RPG.
86-90% Roll on the Random Insanity Table in the RPG.
91-95% Roll on the Neurosis Table in the RPG.
96-00% Roll on the Psychosis Table in the RPG
Zilant

Postby Zilant » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:26 pm

Important note about character age:

For the Nightbane and Athanatos, the age they first transformed is when they stopped aging normally...they do still age, but at like one year for every 50 that pass. That means if you were under 16 when you transformed, you still are today, even though it has been 5 years of so.

For Wampyr characters, the age that matters is when you were bitten...as you no longer age at all after that.

For Doppelgangers, the age your Human reflection died is what matters...when they died, you stopped aging.

This matters especially during rolling attributes (young characters roll differently) and in determining previous Occupations (as the age you WERE is what matters for those).

As a side note...almost all Nightbane and Athanatos have their first change before age 26, those who are older are much more likely to have sanity problems.
Zilant

Postby Zilant » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:18 pm

After discussions, and checking a detail I was mistaken about, it seems a Shadow Warlock is actually a much better choice than I thought for a Nightbane. As such, I have to re-evaluate it.

In basic, This is an upgraded Nightbane Mystic...it is upgraded because it gets THREE TIMES the number of talents. This is thematically similar to the difference in Psychic powers between a normal Psychic and a Mind Master.

After considering the potential of the class, I rate it similar in potential power to a Psi Shaper. I assess the class to have a value of 5 EP. This replaces the previous class assessment.
Zilant

Return to Information