Engineering Deck: Research & Development

CPT Zoi Cardea is the commanding officer of the A.D.F.S. Dauntless, one of the two remaining Vigilance Class Carriers in the fleet.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Engineering Deck: Research & Development

Postby Augur » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:32 pm

This is where research is conducted on new designs, modifications to existing designs, and the development of both is conducted by the most brilliant and innovative minds remaining to the Arismal race.

The manager of operations in R&D is Peredur Mislav, a software engineer and former millionaire CEO of a data security corporation.

The department head for R&D is Mykhailo Glaw, an aquatic systems engineer who formerly worked for the planetary council.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Augur
Admin

Re: Engineering Deck: Research & Development

Postby Cairo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:56 pm

Perception [+2]: 1d20 = 6 +2 = 8
JiC D20: 1d20 = 5
JiC D100: 1d100 = 40

Conditions:

Military Etiquette 70%: 1d100 = 7
Field Armorer 70%: 1d100 = 57
Weapon Systems 70%: 1d100 = 23

Cairo finds his way down to the R&D Dept that the Quartermaster previously mentioned after he's gone through his little contribution at Sickbay. Stepping into room he instantly feels out of his depth, but doesn't retreat waiting for someone to come by and point him in the right direction, **Need to at least put the ideas out there because ... these guys are probably all brilliant but having some input from the field helps ... Shoot Braniac probably gets pulled from us and put in here shortly ...**

When approached CJ offers a salute if appropriate (or if not, a handshake), "Lt. Cairo Xanreys of the 1st SOG. Our unit was assaulted last outing and I had a few ideas for the Wardog after I had a 10-Ft Lizardman rip the head off ... " He trails off waiting to see what reaction he's getting.
2nd Lt. Cairo Xanreys
Current Details
Natural AR: 12
H.P.: 262/262
S.D.C.: 1450/1450

Constant Conditions:
Impervious to [Mind] Control & Possession; Impervious to Radiation/Depressurization/Cold; Breathes without Air (& can speak in a Vacuum); Resistant to Gravity Based Attacks [½ Damage/Effects]; Supervision: Spectrum Vision (Able to see energy magnetic fields, the electromagnetic spectrum, radio waves, electricity, microwaves, phase fields, force fields, x-rays, and all forms of radiation, 180ft); Regenerates 30/Hr (HP or SDC); Fatigues at 1/3 Normal Rate, Nightvision: 600', Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)

Worn: Jeans, Longsleeve T-shirt, Boots.

Gear: Galactic Standard Automatic Pistol with Silencer [4 Clips], [2] Energy Club, [2] Vibro-Knife, [3] Flash Grenade, Communicator
Cairo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Augur » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:59 pm

Day 41, 0930

Cairo finds his way down to the R&D Dept that the Quartermaster previously mentioned after he's gone through his little contribution at Sickbay.

A Warrant Officer meets him in the administrative area, on her way out of a secure space guarded by two MAAs. She looks entirely unperturbed and uninterested.

CJ offers a handshake. His hand waits in the air for an uncomfortable period before he drops it. "Lt. Cairo Xanreys of the 1st SOG. Our unit was assaulted last outing and I had a few ideas for the Wardog after I had a ten foot lizard man rip the head off..." he trails off, waiting to see what reaction he gets.

The Warrant Officer cocks an eyebrow at him. "Well, Lieutenant, are you going to finish your sentence or are you just going start phonating randomly? Really, the latter would be more original and the more amusing. As you can see I am busy, as is everyone else in the department; busy working on adaptations and advancements to save the rest of our under-evolved species. So, do you have something of value to provide beyond an anecdote?"
Augur
Admin

Postby Cairo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:04 am

Perception [+2]: 1d20 = 15 +2 = 17
JiC D20: 1d20 = 17
JiC D100: 1d100 = 13

Conditions:

CJ cocks a single eyebrow momentarily, **It really is too bad ... You try to give someone a moment of courtesy and y'get-your-head snapped at. Intelligence is an accident of evolution, and I'm just trying to make a F___ing contribution ... well one that can keep my neck from getting snapped next time. Frakking arrogance ... those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything, right?**

With a shrug he will continue unabashed, "Ma'am, as you have failed to indicate whether you are working on anything related to the War Dog power armor or even anything in relation to ... For all I know you are working on other areas such as accelerating terraforming or adapting replication technology. I paused in case you needed to direct me towards someone else for whom my field observations on the performance of the gear being tinkered with. However, since you are not thusly inclined: As an initial concern the standard WarDog armor, while thicker in some places is unfortunately less substantial than that of our typical field armor in a number of areas. The standard ADF helmets for non-powered armors are tougher than those on the Wardogs. This seems like a miscalculation. If we're strapping someone to a micro-fusion power source and relying on that person to provide the heavy fire support for an operating field squad, one would think the armor should be heavier. Is it plausible to use plating from a Marine Armor suit? Or even just use the Marine Armor helmet on a Standard War-dog? As a secondary concern, the WarDog's weaponry suite is primarily focused on ranged combat, however it would be extremely useful to add something to supplement in the melee context, either with the addition of something like Vibro-Claws for the fore-arms, or implementation of an energy field like those on Energy-Cestus' which would help with grappling situations where the suit's ranged weaponry can't be used effectively. Third, the WarDog has Passive Nightvision, Infrared, and Ultraviolet Light visual systems. I wanted to inquire as to whether a Thermal Imaging setting might be added? Although some people are already able to view that range of the EM spectrum, if it was part of the general settings it the use wouldn't be incidental to whether you pappened to have a pilot with the right set of retinas, if some of my squad-mates had been able to spot the snipers targeting us our CO might not have taken a round to the head. It would seem that the sensors would be pretty close to already set because of their sensitivity to other areas in the EM spectrum."

OOC: Wardog AR = 15, Standard ADF Armor = AR 16, Marine Armor = AR 18. Wardog Helmet = 75 SDC, Standard ADF Armor Helmet = 100 SDC, Marine Armor Helmet = 150 SDC

Cairo's suggestions clip off though is gaze is quite steady as he listens for a response.
Last edited by Cairo on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2nd Lt. Cairo Xanreys
Current Details

Constant Conditions:
Impervious to [Mind] Control & Possession; Impervious to Radiation/Depressurization/Cold; Breathes without Air (& can speak in a Vacuum); Resistant to Gravity Based Attacks [½ Damage/Effects]; Supervision: Spectrum Vision (Able to see energy magnetic fields, the electromagnetic spectrum, radio waves, electricity, microwaves, phase fields, force fields, x-rays, and all forms of radiation, 180ft); Regenerates 30/Hr (HP or SDC); Fatigues at 1/3 Normal Rate, Nightvision: 600', Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)

Gear: Galactic Standard Automatic Pistol with Silencer [4 Clips], [2] Energy Club, [2] Vibro-Knife, [3] Flash Grenade, Communicator
Cairo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Augur » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:44 am

Cairo wrote:"Ma'am, as you have failed to indicate whether you are working on anything related to the War Dog power armor or even anything in relation to...

The Warrant Officer interrupts Cairo, clearly agitated. "You're not cleared to hear about what's behind that door, CJ, and your frakking memory sucks." The female officer storms off down the passageway.
Augur
Admin

Postby Cairo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:53 pm

OOC: That person does not appear here viewtopic.php?f=818&t=13934 -- If that was supposed to be Lazash, well since she chose not to recognize or shake the hand of her former Co-POW her reaction seems

Perception [+2]: 1d20 = 17 +2 = 19
JiC D20: 1d20 = 16
JiC D100: 1d100 = 21

Conditions:

Military Etiquette 70%: 1d100 = 14

Cairo rolls his eyes as the woman stamps off in a petulant huff, **CJ ehh? Who the Frak was that??? ... Did we take a couple rolls in the proverbial hay back at the academy? Flight Academy or maybe during Wardog qualifications ... ? ... Ehhh I've got nothing else going on, I'll take a seat and see if someone sane comes out to talk to me eventually**

Taking a vacant seat in the 'Administrative' area he'll wait for another person to come out and introduce himself as having field observations on the performance of the Wardog Power armor (outlined above).
2nd Lt. Cairo Xanreys
Current Details

Constant Conditions:

Cairo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Augur » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:31 pm

The realization hits CJ like a ton of ferrocrete. That was Lazash who just blew him off.
Augur
Admin

Postby Cairo » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:06 pm

[[ Rolls Carried Over ]]

The Game Master wrote:The realization hits CJ like a ton of ferrocrete. That was Lazash who just blew him off.

As the identity of Ms-Sullen-Bitch-ADF-1304 I.R. dawns on him, **Nope, no rolls in the hay at the academy ... Her hair is different. She was supposed to be assigned to the 1st SOG before but then Ehhh dunno, didn't show. How many damn beatings did I take to keep her from the tender mercies of Vaxil, and Foren ... she doesn't speak a word of recognition, doesn't even shake my damn hand. Ehhh I've still got nothing else going on, I'll take a seat and see if someone sane comes out to talk to me eventually.**

Taking a vacant seat in the 'Administrative' area he'll continue to wait for another person to come out and introduce himself as having field observations on the performance of the Wardog Power armor and his suggestions (outlined above).

OOC: If there is no seating area, Cairo will absently sit atop a hovering disc as he waits.
Last edited by Cairo on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
2nd Lt. Cairo Xanreys
Current Details

Constant Conditions:

Cairo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Augur » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:44 am

A few minutes later, Lazash returns. She sees CJ still standing around, waiting, pauses in her tracks, and audibly sighs. She then strides up to CJ. "You think the War Dog should have a more durable helmet. You think the War Dog should have a complement of melee weapons. You think the War Dog should have a multi-optics suite. I'll pass all that on to the War Dog project lead." She enters the R&D lab proper and seals the hatch behind her.
Augur
Admin

Postby Cairo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:56 am

[[ Rolls Carried Forward ]]

Unsure if there was an underlying purpose to Lazash's intentionally failing to acknowledge their history, or what changed in the intervening few minutes CJ offers his field observations and lets Kecil leave without prying.

He then turns his boots towards a stop that was less than exciting ... Breakfast/Lunch/Reminder that their last trip Netted no foodstuffs for the Fleet ... Crew Deck: Lounge / Mess.
2nd Lt. Cairo Xanreys
Current Details

Constant Conditions:

Cairo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Niall » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:51 am

Niall makes his way to R&D, and enters the administrative area, bearing a bulging sack. He smiles when the Warrant Officer approaches. Niall looks worn out, but hopeful.

(OOC: I'm not clear to what extent Lazash and Niall are acquainted - see their possible introduction in this thread , so I've offered two versions of this interaction)

If Lazash and Niall recognize each other:

Niall smiles widely when he sees Lazash. "Hey, Lazash. You settled in, I see."

If they don't recognize each other:

If saluted, he returns the salute. Otherwise, he just introduces himself.

"I'm Niall Zeddeus, 1st SOG."

After either introduction:

"I'd like to talk to whomever is over R&D for food production. It's not a complaint, I promise... but it is time sensitive. On our last trip planetside, we harvested some, er, biological materials from local fauna, which I'm hoping can be cultured, er, into... meat." He holds up the sack and smiles . "I'm guessing this needs refrigeration."
1st LT. Niall "Crash" Zeddeus
Current Details
ImageImage
H.P.: 50/50
S.D.C.: 57/57
Power Touch Points: 138/950
Current Gear: ADF Standard Armor, FAS Tier 1, vibro-sword, electrical toolkit, mechanical toolkit, Dragonbane Blade

ADF Standard Armor
A.R.: 16
S.D.C. by Location:
--Helmet: 100
--Arms: 100 each
--Legs: 150 each
--Main Body: 200
Weight: 14 lbs. (6.35 kg)
Modifiers: -5% to movement & physical skills
Features:
• Fully environmental
• HUD in helmet visor
• Encrypted short-range audio/data transceiver, range: 12 miles (19.31 km).

FAS Tier 1
A.R.: 10
S.D.C. by Location:
--Helmet: 40
--Arms: 40 each
--Legs: 50 each
--Main Body: 80
Modifiers: Reflective ceramic coating: Lasers and Energy Expulsion: Light powers only do half damage to the character and the armor.

Current Conditions:
Constant Conditions:
Niall
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Captain Cardea » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:57 pm

The R&D labs are still somewhat of a mess from a little tussle during the attempted coup. Staff are busy putting things back in order, some wearing heavy gloves and goggles to move around hazardous material. When Niall enters, Lazash looks momentarily confused by his introduction, then a look of recognition crosses her face.

"Oh right, was settling in fine until all this business went down. What can I do for you?" Upon hearing his request she looks somewhat dumbfounded. "You brought back biological material from a mission and didn't report it until now?" Quickly grabbing a pair of gloves she takes the sack from Niall and promptly puts it into something more sanitary.

"I will have someone look at these, you should report to the medical area for a bio scan."

She takes a noticeable step back after her last statement.

OOC: Please include Perception and JIC rolls.
Captain Cardea
Assistant Game Master

Postby Niall » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:11 am

Perception: 1d20 = 10

JIC: 1d20 = 9
1d100 = 72

Niall shrugs. "Technically, I didn't bring it back. Your friend Cairo did. But, yeah, basically. We haven't been back all that long. A day." He half-smiles. "We had a lot going on."

As did you and everyone else.

"Actually, I had intended to bring back a wide variety of biological samples, flora and fauna. But the fauna... megafauna, actually, had other ideas. I had sterile sample containers, testing kits, everything." After a moment, he adds, "As for medical, I had a full medical work-up and scrub yesterday when we got back." He shrugs. "As per procedure."

He turns to leave, and then hesitates. "If anyone wants to talk to me more about the in vitro meat idea, I'm happy to talk - I'm no expert. Also... Can you make a note that we should harvest DNA samples of all our fallen... as a Standard Operating Procedure? If we don't already, I mean. The more Arismal we lose, the less genetic diversity we have, and the less chance our species has of surviving this evolutionary bottleneck. At some point, we may need to implement gene therapy to remediate our dwindling genetic diversity, and it may be helpful to begin a cloning protocol. It may be helpful to harvest DNA samples of all living Arismal, actually." He shrugs.

They probably get a thousand ideas like this a day, Niall.

He chuckles. "I read somewhere that a species needs about 8000 members to survive such an evolutionary bottleneck and my gods I can't shut up.." He shakes his head and laughs.

"Seriously. I'm literally in here telling R&D how to do its job." He puts his hand on the doorframe, and begins laughing in earnest.

I'm cracking. He leans back against the doorframe, and tries to stifle his laughter and compose himself. In his mind's eye he sees Gyn's face, sees Jakartha's corpse. "Orders from spooks..." He shakes his head, composing himself. They're dead and you're cackling like an idiot. Get it together. His laughter drifts off, and he regains his composure.

He looks back at Lazash. "Sorry about that." He points at his head. "It gets busy up here."
Current Details
ImageImage
Current Gear: ADF Standard Armor, FAS Tier 1, vibro-sword, electrical toolkit, mechanical toolkit, Dragonbane Blade

ADF Standard Armor
S.D.C. by Location:
Features:
• Fully environmental
• HUD in helmet visor

FAS Tier 1
S.D.C. by Location:
Modifiers: Reflective ceramic coating: Lasers and Energy Expulsion: Light powers only do half damage to the character and the armor.

Current Conditions:
Constant Conditions:
Niall
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Captain Cardea » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:28 pm

At the mention of Cairo Lazash stiffens a little but is soon engrossed in Niall's verbal processing. When he finally stops she smiles thinly, "I'll make a note that you want to see someone in food research. It's a top project and they're open to any ideas. We're not quite up and running yet, so it could be a few days before someone tracks you down."

She taps her own head and smiles a bit wider, "There are people aboard the ship who can help you sort out what's going on up there."
Captain Cardea
Assistant Game Master

Postby Niall » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:04 am

Perception: 1d20 = 12

JIC: 1d20 = 10
1d100 = 73

Captain Cardea wrote:"There are people aboard the ship who can help you sort out what's going on up there."

Niall sighs. "I've had enough of spooks for a while. Besides, hadn't you heard? 'Orders from spooks will get you killed'."

With that, he turns and exits, making his way back to the 1st SOG's berthing.
Current Details
ImageImage

ADF Standard Armor
S.D.C. by Location:
Features:
• Fully environmental
• HUD in helmet visor

FAS Tier 1
S.D.C. by Location:

Current Conditions:
Constant Conditions:
Niall
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Cairo » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:52 pm

Perception (+3): 1d20 = 15+3=18
JiC D20: 1d20 = 8
JiC D100: 1d100 = 69

Military Etiqette [80%]: 1d100 = 3

Conditions: Force Disc

CJ glides down the hall towards the R&D Department in search of wherever on the Engineering Deck that PA Maintenance/Repairs are handled. **Last time I was down here it was before Jakartha was making his Power-Grab. Back when Lazash gave me the brush off ... then she was in the Hangar fighting the 2nd SOG.**

When he catches Brainaic's text:

Brainiac wrote:'Fang, the computer backpack or power armor mounted? Makes a difference in the casing.'

CJ sends back Backpack or smaller. The smallest you think is workable. PA's can't go everywhere.

If Cairo finds PA Maintenance, he'll enter and look around for someone who looks to have a couple minutes without interrupting if he can avoid it.
2nd Lt. Cairo Xanreys
Current Details

Constant Conditions:

Cairo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Augur » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:16 am

Cairo encounters a friendly and helpful tech who points him in the right direction. "Repairs and mods, sir? You gotta do that work in whatever Hangar Bay you're assigned to. After all, that's where all your serious gear is likely to be stationed, right? Can't have guys tearing up and down the P-ways in War Dogs, y'know. I heard during the coup some ass-clown ran a fully-loaded War Dog all up and down the P-ways on OPS deck. They'll be replacing tiles and doing other deck work for a week to get those P-ways ship-shape." The guy laughs out loud. "Guess it's silly to expect mutineers to care about that kinda shit, right? Anyway, happy hunting, sir." The tech disappears back into his work space.
Augur
Admin

Postby Cairo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:09 pm

Perception (+3): 1d20 = 11
JiC D20: 1d20 = 14
JiC D100: 1d20 = 1

Military Etiqette [80%]: 1d100

Conditions: Force Disc

Cairo thanks the man, "Much appreciated friend. Still kind of new to the Ship, got transferred from the Assegai last week ... A Wardog up in the CIC? Wasn't me hehehe ... glad I missed that dance though. There's just not alot of cover in the Passageways if some maniac's tooling around with railguns. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Stay safe."

The PA Pilot floats off down the hall to head for the [[ Hangar Bay 2 ]]
2nd Lt. Cairo Xanreys
Current Details

Constant Conditions:

Cairo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Niall » Mon May 14, 2018 6:48 am

Perception ☞ 36% 1d100 = 76

JIC 1d20 = 17
1d100 = 62

Niall enters R&D, and waits patiently by the front desk. Once he is greeted, He pulls out the satchel with the seeds he purchased on Grymdin. "We were recently off-fleet and I was able to procure the beginnings of a hydroponics operation for you - or at least an expansion to your current hydroponics operation. They're not Arismal seeds... but they're better than nothing, and once we establish a colony groundside somewhere, I hope they'll come in handy."

He offers a crisp salute and returns to the 1st SOG's berthing.
Current Details
ImageImage

ADF Standard Armor
S.D.C. by Location:
Features:
• Fully environmental
• HUD in helmet visor

FAS Tier 1
S.D.C. by Location:

Current Conditions:
Constant Conditions:
Niall
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Cairo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:25 pm

Perception [59%]: 1d100 = 90 [+15% in Space]
JiC D20: 1d20 = 9
JiC D100: 1d100 = 67

Cairo walks up to R&D's entrance offers either a friendly greeting or respectful nod (depending on whether he's outranked by who he meets), "Hey there, Cairo Xanreys of the First SOG. We're just back from the Black, and picked up a couple sets of armor-sized force-field generators for you guys to take a look at. I know features like this may not be plausible for general distribution right now but figured if you had the chance to see how the FAR races have been doing it, well chances are you guys could improve on them for whenever ... I umm also got some energy-cestus devices that seemed to be kind of interesting. Both essentially project energy at a minimal distance for varied effects. Who knows may we could get a combo going that is both protective and offers a bit of sting to folks trying to grapple ..."
2nd Lt. Cairo Xanreys
Current Details

Constant Conditions:

Cairo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Augur » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:44 pm

A staff sergeant bearing the patch of a diagnostic engineer greets Cairo. "Yes, sir. Mr. Mislav was interested in taking a look at the items the first S.O.G. brought back after Mr. Glaw and himself finish working on some problems with the hydroponic plans they have in the works. Would you like me to tell him you stopped by or something?" He rather looks like he'd prefer to just return to whatever work has consumed his attention, but honest enough that he'd follow through.
Augur
Admin

Postby Cairo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:30 pm

Perception [59%]: 1d100 = 47 [+15% in Space]
JiC D20: 1d20 = 3
JiC D100: 1d100 = 7

CJ offers a friendly grin to the Sergeant and shakes his head negative, "Nah, don't bother them. I just wanted to make sure the stuff earmarked for you guys made it back this way safely. Sorry we could not bring more back, but we figured folks would rather eat than chew on forcefields." He trails off with a chuckle and gives a farewell to let the man get back to work.

Ok good, things we brought back are being distributed. Doesn't look like hoarding or any of that crap has taken root. Probably months or even years until they could come up with widescale production on tiny man-portable forcefields of our own, but even having something pre-made to check specs might allow these guys to design for the upgrade down the road or for insertion of FAR fields.

Xanreys heads for [[ Hangar-02 ]] to see about his Power Armor
2nd Lt. Cairo Xanreys
Current Details

Constant Conditions:

Cairo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Return to A.D.F.S. Dauntless