Prelude: A Meeting of the Minds

Beyond The Supernatural Archives

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Re: Prelude: A Meeting of the Minds

Postby Alistair » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:32 am

Claire wrote:Perception: 14+1=15
JIC: 9, 2%

Claire visibly relaxes as the chicken bone goes flying out of the man's mouth and lands on his plate. After quickly examining him and advising that he should go to the doctor just to make sure there will be no ill effects from his ordeal, she turns to Alistair with a soft smile and says "Thank you again for your help. I couldn't have done that on my own." The smile fades briefly before she starts to ask, "If possible, could we get a chance to talk when there is a quiet moment? I'd like..."

Her head turns toward the Hispanic woman as she hears that someone had collapsed in the bathroom and may be having a seizure, Claire says to Alistair, "I better go check that out. Please excuse me." Claire then quickly heads toward the bathroom to check on the young woman inside.

Per: 14
JIC: 2/7%

Alistair's heart races as if he just ran a marathon, and then Claire leaves. He thinks, "Dang it, we need time to figure out what happened to us. I wonder if the rest of the team is here as well? I can remember their faces. And I bet with some work I can remember their names." It's only then that Alistair notices that Jake is freaking out a bit, he looks around and sighs, "Enough women have seen men in bad positions treating them for injuries, I may as well break taboo and just get us out of here. I think if Jake things it's a good idea to leave then it probably is. He may look soft, but I have a feeling that he knows more then he lets on."

As he walks past he'll comment to William, "We'll make you a cup at the office, although I don't know about you but I won't need coffee tonight."

Alistair will then walk over to the bathroom and will call in, "Is that December? If it is and she's safe to move I can carry her out to the car and get her back home. Let me know, I'll be here." With that he stands attention outside the door, taking up the easy comfortable stance he had used back in the war more then once.
Alistair

Postby Maxine Hardcore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:09 am

Perception: 14
JiC: 13/29%

Maxine watches the Homeless man leave before heading back inside.

I hope the guy manages to take care of himself

Once she gets inside the waffle house she says

" I've called an ambulance. I'll check out the ladies room and see what's going on. You gentlemen should relax. It's probably something simple. "

Maxine emits an audible sigh and heads to the ladies room to check it out
Maxine Hardcore

Postby Jaeger » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:05 pm

((Only about a minute or two has passed))

Given the sudden news that yet another person may be in danger, the restaurant again explodes into chaos. Claire and Alistair's triumph and reunion are short-lived, it seems. They'll have to catch up later! Claire and Maxine quickly make their way into the Ladies' Restroom while Jake and Alistair hover about just outside the door. Thomas takes the initiative to make sure the ambulance and EMT's will have a clear path and gets both the manager and Jenny to help him clear the way inside. William has no idea what's going on, as nothing seems to make sense tonight. He had left his house tonight to escape craziness, not find a whole heap of it! Still, he watches and observes everything. If this group is going to take over his house for a weekend, he wants to see how they interact with each other.

Ladies Land:
Claire enters first, followed immediately by Maxine. The restroom is entirely empty except for December, who is lying on the floor unconscious. Claire quickly deduces that the young Irish girl is not in fact having seizures. Deci's simply having spasms concurrent with an extremely active dream state. Claire gently tries to wake her to no avail. Bending down, Maxine shakes her roughly and the young woman's eyes flutter open. She stares at you both confused for a moment before assuming a more relaxed state.

December at first does not realize where or when she is. Quickly, though, names and faces coupled with recent memories flood back in. Within moments, she's fully cognizant of what she experienced both before, during and after entering the restroom. Deci looks in the restroom mirror and is relieved to see herself there, the way she remembered. She feels hunger pangs in her stomach and has an intense desire to eat, but not here. Not here! ((Temporary Insanity: Obsession: Eating for the next 7 days. You'll have this obsession on the first night of your investigation at William's House, but it will have lessened dramatically by then and will be completely gone by next Saturday morning))

Claire and Maxine look at each other doubtfully at first, but December turns away from the mirror and lets them know she's fine. She emphatically states that she must tell them all about what happened in the restroom, but they have to leave this place. If they stay, there will be too many questions and strangers for her to deal with. Claire suggests that they simply tell management that she has narcolepsy and this happens all the time. Maxine shrugs and Deci agrees to anything as long as it gets them out of here without a hassle.

Alistair cracks the door and asks if everything is okay, with Jake leaning on his shoulder listening in. The women assure him everything is okay and exit, putting on their best faces. Claire approaches the manager to explain that their friend simply has narcolepsy and falls asleep at unexpected moments and there's no need to be alarmed. Maxine in her normal detached cool manner informs Alistair and Jake that they "need to leave immediately" as December has something "important" to tell them all, but not here in this chaos. William has wandered over with Thomas, who listen in. William agrees he'd like to tell them a bit about his case so they have some idea what they're getting into, but would also like a quiet place. Jake agrees with this because the Sign he experienced told him that their fates are now tied to this man and whatever is going on tonight must have something to do with his haunting.

The ambulance arrives and most of the attention is on the fat man and the manager, who is trying to maintain order and patience. Jake quickly settles the bill with Jenny and scoots everyone outside to their cars and gives them quick directions to the 101 Coffee Shop, which is just down the street about 3 mins by car. Everyone agrees to meet there, but Thomas takes a moment to trade numbers with Jenny and arrange to meet later that week for a date. She kisses him on the cheek and wishes him a good night.

101 Coffee Shop
Everyone makes it to the 101 Coffee Shop within a minute of each other. Jake and Thomas are the last to arrive, and find the group just grabbing their seats in a corner. The coffee shop is empty except the clerk. December will be happy to see a number of pastries, muffins, bagels, doughnuts, etc. available along with the typical coffee fare. She's simply starving.

((Both December and William have important stories to tell. I'd ask that both make their posts first, and that the other players ask all the questions they may have in either a list or single narrative so as not to nickel and dime this to death. Doing one question per post will simply take forever :) Once you all have asked/said/done all that you intend, post in OOC that you're ready to fast forward to the investigation. It's not a race, so take your time and if more questions come up after hearing more, ask more. I am not trying to rush things, just keep them neat and organized and efficient so to speak. If there is anything you wanted to say or do before leaving the restaurant, please post that at the top of your post and then continue on to the coffee shop portion.))
Jaeger

Postby December » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:22 pm

Perception 08
Jic (D20) 06
Jic (Percentage) 44

December could not be happier to be out of that evil place. Even more unhappy on how the people treat her baby (Her Car) on the way to this coffee shop. When she arrives there it is almost as if she was on a sugar low she wants something to eat so badly but is happily rewarded when she sees all the pastries! She does not even wait for the waitress to come and heads up to grab 8 pastries and a large tea before heading back to the table. Uncharacteristically wolfing down two of them before she begins to speak. Even ignoring her usual do not talk with your mouth full for the two that would know this.

Once she notices she has everyones attention she starts her story, her Irish accent will become much more thick as well.

Charm/Impress - 48/60% (Pass)
Trust/Intimidate - 27/40% (Pass)
Performance – 04/25% (Pass)

"From what I can tell I was experiencing the time o' Gorta Mór from the sight of one o' the people. It was horrible living as the lady I was. I awoke starving to me husband off to try and find a spot o' work so we could obtain some food. We had absolutely nothing," she pauses for a moment to finish off another pastry, "but even I couldna wait too long before I put on me Sunday best and opened the door to have me landlord and a bailiff there to hand over me eviction notice. That is when I had it, there was no food to be had, no work to do, fields upon fields of rotted potatoes. At that point I took me knife and went out to see if I could forage a wee bit o food or heck even find me a squirrel. But there was none to be had!" Munch, munch, another pastry downed into the never filling gullet of the young bard. "It was while I was climbing back up to me hovel of a home that the last of me strength o' limb finally gave out and I fell to the ground. My last remaining thought was how weak I was, and there was a wee bit o' a draft flying up me skirt. And me without any knickers on....".

The last bit she added to make it at least have a bit of humour in it but any one can tell she did not mean it, as she can barely keep it together with the hand shakes and some tears pouring down her face, all the pastries she had picked up are gone so with nothing left to do and the hunger pangs still there. "I am sorry, so sorry just so much poverty and I can not think of anything other then eating at the moment." Regardless of how sick it will make her she will reluctantly grab a piece of food off of Thomas or Jakes plate before realizing she had eaten to fast and makes a beeline to the bathroom to throw up and promptly returning with a couple more danishes, but only 2 this time!

((The actual transcript of the dream is being placed in the Case Notes. I asked Deci to explain it IC first, in her own words as she'd say it))
December

Postby William » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:53 pm

Perception:8+4=12
JIC: 15, 35%

William walks in to the coffee house and orders a coffee with Baileys if they have it, or regular Irish cream flavoring if they don't. Sitting at the table he listens to December relate her story of the bathroom.

Sounding uncharacteristically American, William mutters almost to himself, "Now that is some fucked up shit." Coming to himself he says, "Oh, terribly sorry. That was rude of me."

Visibly gathering himself, William takes a drink of coffee as a serious look crosses his face. "Well, I suppose you would all like to hear about my house. Ah, where should I begin...At the beginning I suppose. Logical place to start...Yes well, here goes."

"My wife and I bought our house about 3 years ago. Splendid house, really beautiful. And got it at a bargain price, let me tell you. Well, about a month or so after we moved in, that’s when we noticed something wasn't quite right with it. Well, now that I think on it…we started noticing strange things as soon as we moved in. The first night in fact. We were in bed when it started to shake. Not like those motel beds you understand, but three hard shakes. Like something heavy had hit one of the posts. Three times this unseen heavy object hit the bed. My wife, joking that it was haunted, said “You're welcome - how do you do? We've got to get some sleep.....we're very tired and need to get some sleep, so please let us be.” Well after that it stopped. But we couldn’t shake the feeling that we were not alone.”

“There have been other things too. Cold spots in the kitchen, and the upstairs bedroom and bathroom. Had to buy extra blankets for the bed, and well, getting out of the shower is just no fun, let me tell you. We put in a heat lamp, but then the kitchen lights went all buggy. Go on and off by themselves, they do. Right strange. We have also felt wind drafts in the kitchen and bedrooms too. Replaced the windows, but to no avail.”

“Let’s see what else…Oh yes, in the living room my wife heard sobbing in the corner. Near the mailbox. She felt terribly sad after that. Uh, we can smell women’s perfume in the upstairs bedroom. Replaced the carpet and can still smell it. Thought about replacing the floorboards too, but…what’s the point?”

“Once when I was home alone, I heard a knocking on the front door. Assuming it was my wife forgetting her keys again, I went to get it. Well, there was no one there, I tell you. Probably some punk kids, but it has happened more than once.”

“Now despite all of this, well, we have learned to live with most of it. We are convinced the house is haunted, but things seemed fairly stable. Well, that was true until about 3 months ago. I was working late in my study, you see, and was going through some of the books on the bookcase. I pulled on one but it seemed to be stuck. Well, I pulled a little harder but it still wouldn’t budge. This time I heard a click, and a whole section of the bookcase came open. There was a bar hidden behind the bookcase. I figured it must be from the prohibition days, based on the dates on some of the wine and spirits…err, sorry…liquor back there. Really some fine vintages in there. My wife and I have been quite enjoying them.”

William takes a drink of coffee and continues.

“Ah, yes well, back to the story. I also found back there a rather large knife. It is seemingly made of gold, you see, but sharp as a razor. I took a self defense course a while back, after seeing a mugging, terrible thing that, and well…I can tell that the knife has excellent balance. Well, anyway, like I said, it appears to be made of gold, but has a perfectly sharp edge to it. But here is the curious thing…it appears to be Egyptian. Now how such a thing came to be hidden behind the bookcase is beyond me. I have left it on the bar there, where I can study it. I know this is going to sound crazy, but I think it might be magic. Ha, preposterous as it sounds, that is the only explanation I can think of. Like Arthur’s sword I suppose…Well, I have not had a chance to test it yet. You see it was after that things started to get really bad.”

“How could they get worse you say? Well let me tell you. Before I found the bar in the bookcase, our mischievous spirit seemed to be just that. That all changed after I found the bookcase though. Car keys hidden in the ice box turned in to dishes flying across the room at us. Knocking and banging turned into a grandfather clock almost killing my wife. Just fell right over on her! Before I found the bookcase, I had a dream about a faulty switch in the bathroom. Rather gruesome. A tub filled with water and an arm reaches for the switch and gets a terrible jolt, and then withers away. Well I had an electrician out and sure enough, there was a bad switch in the loo. So the dream was bad, but still helpful.”

“Now my dreams are different. Much worse. Much more vivid. I can remember them as if I was actually there. Never had anything like them. There are three recurring dreams that I seem to have.”

Williams Dream wrote: “A man is sitting across a table from me. The smell of whiskey, tobacco and sweat hang heavy in the air. It is lit by lanterns, so the light flickers off the silver in the center of the table. Ragtime piano music can be heard faintly over the loud crowd of people gathered around the table. Looking down I notice cards in my hand. The calloused hands of a miner. Ex-miner that is. Cards are much lighter than a pick axe, and I seem to have better luck with them. The cards in my hand are faded and worn. They are different every time. A few hands pass. Somehow I know what to bet and when. 2 pair…hold. 3 card straight…fold. Someone bets big, but I have 3 aces…he’s bluffing. I win. The man across from me suddenly stands up. He has dark eyes, dark hair and an moustache. His beady eyes glint off the lantern light. To the cards, to me, to his black handled revolvers on his hip. I cheat he says. “No, I’m just smarter than you”, I reply. His black leather gloves creak into a fist as he balls up his cards and throws them on the table. Wrong answer. I try to draw, but suddenly there’s a flash of light. The room is quite, the smell of gunpowder permeates the air. My right arm won’t move. Reaching for my gun with my left hand instead…another flash…and I am looking at the ceiling. Despite the heat, I feel cold. And wet. What happened? I see the man’s face again, leaning over me, smiling. Black Hand Sam…Darkness…”

Williams Dream wrote: “I am not sure which is hotter, the unmerciful sun beating down on my dark tanned body, or the dry cracked earth searing my bare back. A slight breeze stirs the air, providing only a momentary coolness across my sweat covered chest. The dust tickles my nose. I want to sneeze, but there is not enough air in my lungs to do so. Staked out like Da Vinci’s Man in a Circle, I struggle against my bonds. The rough thick ropes cut against my skin as I struggle harder. If I pull one arm hard enough, I can gasp a little air. It is hot and dry. My tongue fills my mouth as I struggle to speak. “Why?” I croak, barely audible. Suddenly I am not alone. A shadow crosses my face and settles on my chest, providing momentary relief against the blistering sun. “You know why Taipa. No one crosses me more than once,” answers Ash Hands. ((OOC: Taipa is a Miwok name meaning "spread wings.")) “I will not leave you alone though.” Griping his long steel knife with a black painted hand, my hair with the other he begins to saw. Blood runs down my forehead and into my eyes as he removed my scalp. Standing up, he shows me his handywork, warm blood dripping onto my chest. My head is on fire. “That should bring you some friends soon enough.” His laughter receding into the distance tells me he is leaving. When I can no longer hear the galloping hooves of his black horse, I know I am well and truly alone. Except for the birds…and the coyotes. The vultures pluck out my eyes first, thankfully. At least it is dark now. No more blinding sun, although I can still feel its heat on my skin. But my burning skin is cool in comparison to the fiery pain in my sockets. But it is dark. A coyote howls in the distance. Then another…and another. Fire rages all over my body, from the biting and pecking. Gratefully, eagerly, I sink down into a tunnel. Then, a light! Distant, but coming closer. Eagerly I float towards it, embracing it…”

Williams Dream wrote: “Darkness. The musty smell of mold centuries old is thick in the air. Water can be heard dripping in the distance, slowly. The stone walls of my cell here at Château d'If are a slimy grey green. Even my grey beard and long grey hair feel slimy with mold and itchy from lice. It begins to grow lighter in my cell. Not the light of day, but of predawn bleakness. The food will be coming soon. Today I am determined to get my share. Weak with fatigue and hunger, I stand and stretch. No matter how far I stretch my arms though, the skin hangs off of them in folds. Where once muscle abided, now there is only bone and tendon. Cautiously I glance at my cell mate. He is full bodied, with dark reddish brown skin and black hands wrapped in dirty rags. Black Fingers he is called. He has black hair and a mustache, with the beginnings of a beard. I don’t think he is paying attention to me. There is a rattling in the distance, and then the sound of something grating on another and a loud clang. We’re next. When the small door set in the bottom of the larger one flips open, The tray of grey gruel would be lost among the stones of the cell if not for the wooden bowl it is served in. I make my move. Lurching for the tray as fast as I can, Black Fingers is faster, but not as fast as yesterday. I manage to get my hands on the bowls, but he rips me away from the door easily, spilling the gruel across the floor. Grimacing evilly, he lunges for me. I try to dodge out of his way, but he is too fast, driven by rage. His black hands close around my throat, his thumbs pressing on my Adams apple. Slowly, darkness sets in, a sickening crunching sound in my throat. Darkness…”

"So what do you say Mr. Mullen. Will you take my case?"
William

Postby Maxine Hardcore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:54 am

Perception: 11 (10 +1)
JiC: 14/63%

Maxine listens to both stories

" Hmm, well. I'm no expert on this paranormal stuff but it sounds like we've got two seperate problems. Deci's dream seems like a very personal thing, someone or something knowing exactly what to do to freak her out since I can't see what the Irish potato blight would have to do with anything around here. I suppose we could check the history of the property the Waffle House is on, or maybe even who was around the idea. It could just be some wandering psychic who gets off on messing with people. Like maybe that pregnant lady deciding to vent a mood swing or something "

Not bloody likely, but honestly what do I tell someone about something like this? If it wasn't for the way she looked on the floor I'd say it was some wierd nightmare or a bad drug experience or something. I really know nothing about that time period, but she obviously does, so it seems to be connected to her as opposed to the property. Whatever, the experts will probably sort it out

" As far as your problem goes William, it actually sounds pretty AWESOME. I mean like the quintessential haunted house. It's exactly the kind of thing I signed up to check out. Even if Jake doesn't take the case... though I imagine he will... I suppose I can stop by to see if I can find anymore hidden compartments or anything. I'm fairly good at that. "

" The only thing that sounds odd about your story is that gold knife, personally I'd take it to a metallurgist to get it examined. I know a bit about knives... although it doesn't come from a self defense class. I can't see how a knife made out of gold would be that well balanced. Gold is a heavy, soft metal, and generally not suitable for weapons, which is why you generally don't see solid gold weapons.... It might just be gold plated, but still it sounds like it needs to be examined more closely... presumably by an expert. "

as a rambling thought she adds

" Not to mention the fact that in the last fight scene in Goldfinger, I doubt either of them would have been able to handle those gold bricks the way they did "

Basically if I found a knife like that, that handled like that, I doubt anyone would have agreed that it was solid gold when I fenced it.
Maxine Hardcore

Postby Jake Mullen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:44 pm

Perception: 7 + 3 = 10
JIC: 3, 76%

Jake grabs himself a coffee and returns to the table, flipping his chair around backward and leaning on the back, coffee in one hand, lit cigarrette between the fingers of the other. He sits silently, occasionally taking a drag or a sip of his coffee, while Deci and William relate their stories.

Maxine Hardcore wrote: " As far as your problem goes William, it actually sounds pretty AWESOME. I mean like the quintessential haunted house. It's exactly the kind of thing I signed up to check out. Even if Jake doesn't take the case... though I imagine he will... I suppose I can stop by to see if I can find anymore hidden compartments or anything. I'm fairly good at that. "

"Oh, we are definately going to investigate Maxine. No worries there." He looks over at William and takes another drag off his cigarrette, considering. Should I bring up the vision while he's here? Ah, he's neck deep now anyway, and he's seen enough; he won't reject it automatically.

Tapping the ashes from his cigarrette into the ashtray, he says, "Since we're relating odd experiences, I should tell you that I saw something in Roscoe's." He looks around at all of them. "Now most of you haven't known me long enough to know, but I see things from time to time. Visions." He takes another sip of his coffee before continuing. "I've told Deci and Thomas about it, though Thomas doesn't buy it." He flashes Thomas a quick grin. "Mr. Townsend, I know you're new to this sort of thing, but please consider the kinds of experiences you have had recently, before discounting what I am about to tell you."

"When Alistair beat that chicken bone out of the fat guy at Roscoe's, it fell among the other bones and I saw something in their patterns." He turns his head and looks William directly in the eyes. "Mr. Townsend, you brought something with you tonight. I could feel it watching. And when you came into contact with us you brought us in contact with it as well. Our fates have been bound together in some way, I don't know any more than that."

He pauses and takes another drink of his coffee before continuing in a more normal tone. "Now, I have some questions about your experiences at the house." He begins to slowly list the information he would like to have:

"Could you please make up a specific list of every event you remember and precisely where it happened? I know you've mentioned many of them, but I want to be sure we don't miss something."

"Before tonight, have you ever had odd experiences outside of the house? Or even in the driveway or the front yard?"

"Did you bring anything with you from the house tonight? The knife you mentioned, or anything else?"

"Have you personally, not in a dream, ever encountered a person known as 'black hands' or something similar?"

After that he takes another sip and says, "That's all I can think of for now. I might have more questions later. Can anyone else think of something we need to know that Mr. Townsend may be able to tell us? Oh, and Deci, at the moment I don't know what to make of your dream, but I feel confident that it is bound up in some way with Mr. Townsend's problem."
Jake Mullen

Postby Alistair » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:21 am

Per: 17
JIC: 2/58%

Alistair watches Deci eat her way through the pastries and a permanent scowl covers his face. As William describes his wife being assaulted by a grandfather clock Alistair slowly and carefully takes his hands and clenches them into fists under the table.

"Jake, I know you've said that we're mostly here to investigate strange happenings, not solve them. But I can't stop myself from getting involved. These things are trying to hurt women and that's just not right. Unfortunately, last I checked, you can't put a ghost in a headlock and tell it to lay off. So what's the game plan? How do we go about protecting, or at least redirecting these things wrath?"

Alistair muses to himself, "Know we'll get the measure of my new employer. I know that this cold, callous world doesn't care to nurture the protective aspect of a man's personality, but luckily I come from a more honest age. When being a man meant loving women enough to fight, and die for then, if needed."
Alistair

Postby Maxine Hardcore » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:50 pm

Perception: 9
JiC: 11/68%

" Hmmm, well I'd think proving what's going on would in of itself provide some solutions, and with public awareness SHOULD come action. Assuming we succeed of course. " Maxine orders a cup of iced coffee with lots of milk but very little sugar. " Actually " she muses as she sips " If all else fails William can always move out and turn the site into a roadside attraction. A lot of places do that with so called 'Mystery Spots'. He got a deal on it, and could probably make his money back that way if he can find a place to live. Assuming of course there is enough activity there to at least create a good attraction. "

Hmmm, actually that's not a bad idea. William doesn't seem like the type who would go for it... but hey... I suppose there are worse things to do than run a roadside attraction given the free publicity we might be able to generate. Unless of course this guy is pulling our legs of course and wants us to show up for his own reasons.

Still... the West Coasts ONLY killer Grandfather clock. You could put the world's largest ball of twine out of business with that gimmick, especially if there was any truth to it.

Hmmm looking at everyone's faces I guess they don't think this is as good a fallback plan as I do... spoilsports.
Maxine Hardcore

Postby Jake Mullen » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:38 pm

((Rolls held over))

Alistair wrote:"Jake, I know you've said that we're mostly here to investigate strange happenings, not solve them. But I can't stop myself from getting involved. These things are trying to hurt women and that's just not right. Unfortunately, last I checked, you can't put a ghost in a headlock and tell it to lay off. So what's the game plan? How do we go about protecting, or at least redirecting these things wrath?"

Jake gives Alistair a curious look before he responds. Little heavy on the chivalry. Bet he'd piss off the feministas. He glances quickly around the table. Doesn't seem to have bothered our girls though, and when it comes down to it, I agree with him.

"Oh, we'll get involved Alistair. If it's dangerous, and we can stop it, we will. And I think we can. I've figured out how to do something psychically. . . an attack. I haven't had a chance to try it, but I think it will harm spirits." He glances around the table again, while taking a drag off his cigarette. "And I don't think I'm the only one here with something up his sleave. Or hers."

Maxine Hardcore wrote: " Hmmm, well I'd think proving what's going on would in of itself provide some solutions, and with public awareness SHOULD come action. Assuming we succeed of course. "

"Exactly." Jake points his cigarette at Maxine to emphasize his agreement. "Even if we can take out whatever is in Mr. Townsend's house, we can't handle every threat out there ourselves." He pauses to take a sip of his coffee. "So we publish what we find. We educate the public about the paranormal world. Even if the mainstream never buys it, some people will, and they'll be better prepared."

Maxine Hardcore wrote:Maxine orders a cup of iced coffee with lots of milk but very little sugar. " Actually " she muses as she sips " If all else fails William can always move out and turn the site into a roadside attraction. A lot of places do that with so called 'Mystery Spots'. He got a deal on it, and could probably make his money back that way if he can find a place to live. Assuming of course there is enough activity there to at least create a good attraction. "

Would that work? Whatever William's got tagging along is too dangerous, but what if we found something weak or only mischievious? Heh, probably not a good idea, but it sounds fun, and the extra money would be nice.
Jake Mullen

Postby Claire » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:47 pm

Perception: nat 20+1=21
JIC: 12, 83%

Claire listens to December and then to William as they both tell the group their stories. She didn’t quite understand Maxine’s excitement in regards to William’s story. She feels what was going on was probably quite stressful for both William and his wife, possibly affecting both their mental and physical health. She also nods at Maxine as she says to William “We should definitely investigate and try to get to the bottom of this, so you and your wife can get some peace.” Claire orders a black coffee and sips it once it arrives, as she listens to the discussion going on around her.

Claire nods at Jake as he mentions that he doesn’t think he’s the only one in the group with special talents, thinking to herself ’That’s probably true.' She wished she knew what to make of December’s odd ‘dream’, though it really did seem like more than just a dream, but some kind of experience the young girl had gone through.

She shakes her head at Maxine’s idea of having William set up a roadside attraction and says quietly, “I really don’t think that’s a good idea, especially when we don’t know what we’re dealing with yet. Even then, I think that would really disrupt their lives and the impression I get is that they want some peace.” Claire looks over at William to see if he contradicts this thought.
Claire Morrison

SDC: 25/25
HP: 42/42
ISP: 38/38 (x2)

Sanity: 95/100

Constant Effects: Closed to the supernatural
Claire

Postby Alistair » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:41 am

(Rolls carried over)

Alistair lets himself relax a bit, as he sees that his employer isn't going to ignore the danger and isn't going to criticize Alistair for his classic values. At the mention of an ability to hurt spirits Alistair leans forward, "Now that is something I'd like to see. And if it works like you think it will I would very much like a write up of how to arm our readers with that kind of skill."

He'll lapse into though, "If I had been able to see and hurt whatever it was that got to Eli perhaps he'd still be with us." With a mental sigh, "Well he would have at least come home. Who knows if he'd still be alive. Twice I have left behind everyone and everything I know. Just like we won the last war that asked that sacrifice of me, I plan on helping these folks win any war that any supernatural baddies bring onto them. Perhaps Jake's trick will help facilitate that."
Alistair

Postby Jake Mullen » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:25 am

((Rolls held over))

Alistair wrote:At the mention of an ability to hurt spirits Alistair leans forward, "Now that is something I'd like to see. And if it works like you think it will I would very much like a write up of how to arm our readers with that kind of skill."

Jake glances from Alistair to William casually. This is getting into internal paper business. I suppose I've already let the cat out of the bag. "Unfortunately Alistair, I don't think it's the type of thing that everyone can learn how to do. We've run a few articles on how to bring out and control latent psychic ability, and we could run , um . . . advanced psychic tutorials, or something like that, but even people with psychic ability develop it in very different ways." Lore Paranormal and Psionics 01/40%! Success. "Even if we explain it very well, it may only benefit psychics who have the same sort of mind as me." He grins. "Hopefully there aren't too many more out there."

"This brings up something else, though. Up till this point, paper staff haven't been taking out supernatural menaces, but with all of our new staff," he gestures around the table with his cigarette, "it may become part of our regular activities. I've been thinking about that, and I don't intend to reveal too much about what we do in the paper. We'll explain what we've seen, and possibly how to deal with it, but we won't give blow by blow accounts of what happened, or, if we do, we'll suggest that a 'group of psychics' took care of the problem, and avoid suggesting that we did it ourselves."

"Two reasons. First, I don't think the readers will believe us if we spend all our time tooting our own horns. Second, I don't want the paper to make us a target, or at least I don't want it to reveal our skills and abilities. Some of that is unavoidable, but I think writing things up this way will at least give us a buffer. If anyone disagrees with the policy we can hash it out later at the office. I don't want to run roughshod over you, and I haven't even mentioned this to Deci and Thomas, but I think it's a good idea."

I've gone on this a little long, better swing the conversation back around."Back to Mr. Townsend's house. . ." He looks expectantly at William.
Jake Mullen

Postby William » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:50 am

Perception: 17+4=21
JIC: 16, 58%

Maxine wrote:"I can't see how a knife made out of gold would be that well balanced. Gold is a heavy, soft metal, and generally not suitable for weapons, which is why you generally don't see solid gold weapons.... It might just be gold plated."

Thomas wrote:"If after we collect some of this more directly related data you still wish to further examine this knife, we can then do so and add that data to any other data we have already collected at the site itself."

Well, at least they are listening to me and not thinking I am crazy.

"I had thought that the knife might be gold plated also. It does not seem to be heavy enough to be entirely made of gold. I attempted to scrape some of the plating off, but was not able to do so. Curiously, I was unable to make any type of mark what so ever upon the knife. I even went so far as to try scraping the knife with my wifes wedding ring, you know, with the diamond. Not a scratch on it. So unless you have some fancy way of taking a sample of it, I am at a loss as to how to identify the substance the knife is made of. It is sharp, and maintains its edge, which suggests a metal other than gold. But the color suggests gold. I am afraid I am at a loss as to how to identify it."

Jake wrote:"Could you please make up a specific list of every event you remember and precisely where it happened? I know you've mentioned many of them, but I want to be sure we don't miss something."

Williams House Background wrote:Manifestations:

1. On the day before the Townsend family moved into the home, Mrs. Townsend went upstairs, her dogs followed her, growling and barking at something in the upstairs bedrooms. In the hallway right outside the master bedroom, Mrs. Townsend felt an unseen presence, and heard somebody softly whisper in her ear, "Please help me."

2. On their first night in their new home, Mr. and Mrs. Townsend were lying in bed, when some unseen, heavy object struck their bed three times. Some unseen presence wanted to be noticed, or communicate with these nice people who had fixed up the house, even though they were sleeping in her room. Mrs. Townsend addressed the unseen presence, saying "You're welcome - how do you do? We've got to get some sleep.....we're very tired and need to get some sleep, so please let us be."

3. The lights in the kitchen would go on and off by themselves.

4. While walking through the living room, Mrs. Townsend saw a strange formless light, in an outline form, floating above her near the ceiling.

5. In the corner of the living room, near the mail box, Mrs. Townsend heard heavy, heartbreaking sobs of a woman. The hairs on Mrs. Townsend’s arms stood up, and she felt terribly sad.

6. Cold spots can be felt in the kitchen, the downstairs area and the upstairs bedrooms. Unexplained wind drafts have been felt throughout the house, especially in the kitchen and upstairs bedrooms.

7. The strong smell of a woman's perfume can be smelled in the children's bedroom upstairs.

8. Both Mr. and Mrs. Townsend were warned in a dream of a faulty, dangerous wall light in the upstairs bathroom. Both saw a clear vision of the bathtub full of water and bubbles. A hand from the bathtub switches on the light, receives a terrible shock, and withers. Well, an electrician was called, who was horrified that such an out-dated, dangerous light switch was in the bathroom, and promptly put in a safe one.

9. Sometimes a weird, uneasy feeling can overcome a person in the downstairs bathroom.

10. A light knocking at the front door can be heard, but no one is ever there.

Jake wrote:"Before tonight, have you ever had odd experiences outside of the house? Or even in the driveway or the front yard?"

"No, not that I am aware of. Except for uh...yes except for tonight, if your assumption that December's episode was caused by my house is correct. Tonight would be the first." And hopefully the last. What's next, students keeling over in my classroom? That would never do. Oh no.

Jake wrote:"Did you bring anything with you from the house tonight? The knife you mentioned, or anything else?"

Laughing William says, "Not aside from my knickers! Ha!...Uh, that is to say, um...no I didn't." Turning serious again William answers Jakes next question.

Jake wrote:"Have you personally, not in a dream, ever encountered a person known as 'black hands' or something similar?"

"No, no. I should think I would remember an encounter like that. The only thing I can tell you about him is that I think he is the same person in each dream. What a Native American is doing in a European prison is beyond me, but well, a dream is a dream after all."

"Well unless you have other questions that is about all I can tell you. What do you say? Would you like to investigate the house? How about next Friday night. That would give you a week to do your research and we can go over it then. I will do some research of my own, and we can compare notes then. Sound good?"
William

Postby Jake Mullen » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:25 pm

((Rolls held over))

William wrote:"Well unless you have other questions that is about all I can tell you. What do you say? Would you like to investigate the house? How about next Friday night. That would give you a week to do your research and we can go over it then. I will do some research of my own, and we can compare notes then. Sound good?"

"Sounds like a plan. If it won't be too inconvenient, I think it would be best if we plan to stay there over the weekend. We'll need to get a sense of the house over time, and at different times of day. Plus, if it has been affecting your dreams, we may learn something by sleeping there. Say six o'clock Friday till Monday morning? What sort of parking do you have . . ."

((OOC: At this point I'd suggest assuming that William and Jake discuss parking and other arrangements and come to the conclusions that we've already reached OOC. I don't really see a point in RPing those small details, though there are other parts of this conversation that people may want to respond to.))
Last edited by Jake Mullen on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake Mullen

Postby December » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:35 pm

(Rolls carried over)
(OOC - Sorry was typing this up as Jake posted)

December finally deciding to chime in after finally getting her stomach under control. "Too be honest I do not believe that the event I had tonight has anything to do with the house." She shivers again from the dream.

Maybe I should ask to look at the knife and use my abilities to see if I can glean information for him. That is if he believes in such powers although he does seem like an open individual. Hopefully I will also be able to tell someone about the worst part of my dream. Maybe Jake or Thomas. I would prefer a girl but I am not sure I know them well enough yet. Maybe I can wait till I know them better. She thinks to herself.
December

Postby Maxine Hardcore » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:21 am

Perception: 7
JiC: 10/71%

Maxine responds to Deci

" If it's unrelated to the house, do you think there might be something peculiar about the waffle house? When we get some time we might check into that too, I guess it couldn't hurt. "

Hmm well, I get the impression she doesn't want to talk about it much. I just hope she remembers to do some extra exercises to burn off those extra calories, it would be a shame for her to ruin her figure.

I wonder if there are psychic experiences that could cause you to lose weight without a risk of death. A sort of "scare off the pounds" type thing. We could sell such treatments through our tabloid except ours would actually work... hmmm. Well first we need to find the right ghost.
Maxine Hardcore

Previous

Return to The Dark Room