Tinkerer's Thread

The character sheets and OOC chat of A.D.F. personnel only belong here.
GM: Augur
AGM: Captain Cardea

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Tinkerer's Thread

Postby Augur » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:36 am

Tinkering: The Mechanics of Fabrication, Modification and Repair

If you want to make something, repair something, or improve something that would generally count as either equipment or body modification, you are trying to tinker. These rules are for you.

A Tinkerer is a character that can build something above and beyond, with limited resources and/or time. They are the ones that can build on the spot; to make or repair something in an improvised or inventive way, making use of whatever items are at hand. A non Tinkerer can still Engineer and perform repairs

How do you determine who is a Tinkerer:
Any character can be a tinkerer, the number of attempts are based on which skills the character has. But Only player characters get an additional 1/2 their character level (round down) to the total number of attempts.

Basic Technical Skills: (Each skill provides +1/4 attempt per day)
  • Basic Electronics
  • Basic Mechanics
  • Computer Repair
  • Cybernetics: Basic
  • General Repair & Maintenance
  • Jury-Rig
  • Salvage

Skilled Technical Skills: (Each skill provides +1/2 attempt per day)
  • Aircraft Mechanics
  • Automotive Mechanics
  • Bioware Mechanics
  • Electricity Generation
  • Field Armorer & Munitions Expert
  • Vehicle Armorer
  • Computer Programming
  • Class Ability (This is a catch all, for any characters who have a technical based class ability (or multiple). These class abilities usually mean they are more advanced than their skill based counterparts)

Engineering Skills: (Each Skill provides +1 attempt per day)
  • Electrical Engineer
  • Mechanical Engineer
  • Robot Electronics
  • Robot Mechanics
  • Weapons Engineer
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Robotechnology Engineering
  • Starship Engineering

Definition of an Assistant:
Assistants are characters who have limited to no skills in construction. But like most beings, these characters can be directed by a Tinkerer and perform menial tasks such as lifting, carrying, and fetching items for the Tinkerer.

Assistants use the same criteria of a Tinkerer.

Situational Skills, Powers, and Abilities
  • Computer Operations (+1/4 attempt per day when dealing with computerized systems)
  • Sensory Equipment (+1/4 attempt per day when used in connection with diagnostic equipment)
  • Computer Hacking (+1/2 attempt per day when dealing with programming and modification of programs and A.I.s)
  • Chemistry: Basic (+1/4 attempt per day when dealing with chemical compounds)
  • Chemistry: Analytical (+1/2 attempt per day when dealing with chemical compounds)
  • Chemistry: Pharmaceutical (+1 attempt per day when dealing with chemical compounds and medicines, drugs, or toxins)
  • Juicer Technology (+1/2 attempt per day when dealing with drugs, medicines, and Juicer Conversion)
  • Biology (+1/4 attempt per day when dealing with interactions with living beings- cybernetics, drugs, toxins, medications, genetic modification, etc)
  • Xenology (+1/4 attempt per day when dealing with interaction with alien or inter-dimensional life, as per biology)
  • Genetics (+1/4 attempt per day for dealing with biological organisms)
  • Clinical Genetics (+1/2 attempt per day for dealing with biological organisms)
  • M.D. In Cybernetics (+1/4 attempt per day for dealing with cybernetics and bionics)
  • Gemology (+1/4 attempt per day for Techno-Wizardry/Assistants)
  • Recycling (+1/4 attempt per day when using salvaged or scrapyard components)

Specific Psionics
  • Telemechanics: +1 attempt per day on anything to do with mechanics, electronics, artificial intelligence, programming, and all related fields.
  • Total Recall: +1/4 attempt per day on anything that large volumes of memorized information would be useful (ie. genetic codes, mechanic's workbooks, computer programming, etc)

Specific Spells
  • Create Metal: +1/4 attempt per day in salvage and fabrication situations

Specific Powers
  • Power Touch: +1 attempt per day in all repair situations and medical recovery.
Others
In other situations when crafting, other skills could be useful and with GM's approval might net +1/4 attempt per day. A valid case for the skills use must be presented. Sewing might help make low-tech hide M.D.C. armors, while Weapon Proficiencies and Piloting skills may help with their specialties because of familiarization. Medical skills and healing spells and psionics may aid in recovery from cybernetics surgery or Juicer Augmentation.

Implementing Tinkering
The rules located in HU2 pg 121-143, and in the RUE for Techno-Wizardry on pg 131 give totals of time in hours or days. A simple conversion of this to Tinkering attempts is as follows:

1 Hour=1 Attempt
1 Day=8 Attempts

GM's Decision will cover the following (exclusively):
1. How many rolls to succeed.
2. How much time needed to build.
3. When is something impossible to build.

Q. What about Low Tech Crafters?
A. In specific circumstances, a GM can throw out the standard crafting skills, and instead use the following list (each provides .25 attempts per day). Class abilities and character level count as normal (a high level Analytical Genius or Operator still might be helpful, just not as helpful). Class abilities still count as .5 attempts per day.

Low Tech Crafting Skills
    Armor/Weapon Decoration (from Palladium Fantasy)
    Botany (herbs mostly)
    Brewing
    Carpentry
    Cooking
    Fashion Tools (from Palladium Fantasy)
    Holistic Medicine
    Hunting (gathering and preparing sinew, bones, etc)
    Masonry
    Mining and Prospecting (Metals)
    Mystic Herbology (from Rifts: England)
    Pottery (from Palladium Fantasy)
    Recycling (Metals mostly)
    Salvage
    Sewing
    Skin and Prepare Animal Hides
    Whittling and Sculpting
    Wilderness Survival (herbs and other plants mostly)
Augur
Admin

Re: Tinkerer's Thread

Postby Ryden » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:37 am

Ryden's Projects Post

Permissions: I require every player's permission/refusal prior to allowing one PC to modify/tamper with another's gear.
Halko: Please, feel free to modify my gear once you've had a successful result with the mod on someone else's gear.
Niall: If you can improve my stuff without breaking it, please feel free to do so.
Cairo: Ryden & Niall have free reign to fix/upgrade my equipment ... You break it, you buy it though.
Rosseyn: You have free reign to fix/upgrade my equipment.
Gilina: Any tinkerer is welcome to work on Jill's equipment as long as they consult with her.

Sense of Craftsmanship:
Ryden will work on one project until it is complete, but if he runs into multiple problems, he'll work on something else and come back to it.

Basic Technical Skills
☞ Basic Electronics
☞ Computer Programming
☞ Computer Repair
☞ General Repair & Maintenance
☞ Jury-Rig
☞ Research 100%

Skilled Technical Skills
☞ Cyberjacking Construction and Repair
☞ Military: Electronic Warfare

Engineering Skills
☞ Electrical Engineer

Completed Tasks
Pilian translation plugin for Arismal Comm Systems
Create a simulator plug in for standard Arismal simulators
Collate Sensor Data from the Atorian attack on the fleet into a single set of sensor data

Translator plug-in software: Imperial Trade Tongue (Les Iban) 85%
Modifications to War Dog PA--Dusk Hound EW variant model
Translator plug-in software
Prowl RES Skill Program--77%
Pick Lock RES Skill Program--77%
Dusk Hound Tactical Signals Interdiction Suite
Climbing RES Skill Program -- 77%
Acrobatics RES Skill Program -- 77%
Extended Sensor Range Mod for Advanced Sensor Package
Build CJ's Hacking Computer
Combine VR Glasses and Multi-Optics Glasses into one

To-Do List
Research and Design
1. Make computer suit backup schematics
2. Program Read Sensor Suite for Probe AIs.(Need Guidance on this)
3. Dar' Etsch (Titrana) translation plugin for Arismal Comm Systems
4. Roo-tahm (Titrana) translation plugin for Arismal Comm Systems
5. Thimerian Code (Ilta) translation plugin for Arismal Comm Systems
Implementation/Engineering
1. Make a computer suit backup

Notes

Task list for Probe Programming:

Find an AI
    if the Refit Atorian Combat Robot we got with the ships works, then we can copy it and then modify it.
    Assuming it is a "Standard" AI without an internal RES interface, then -50% on hacking to unlock and copy the AI; time: 8d6 Hours (possibly less time since it is actually already modified)
    IF it has a RES interface, then it would follow the rules for Cyberjacking (AU:GG 205-208); Probably in the -20 to -40 range.
Build an AI: 800 hours.....unfeasible

Robotic Program Skill Programs: Sets of skills to help the robotic probe do its job
Planetary System Survey Program
    Computer Operation - base percentage 50% (using RES Skill program construction as a guide) + 10%x3 (-15% penalty on Computer Programming roll: 85% chance of success): Final Skill: 80%
    Intelligence - base percentage 50% (using RES Skill program construction as a guide) + 10%x4 (-20% penalty on Computer Programming roll: 85% chance of success): Final Skill: 90%
    Photography - base percentage 25% (using RES Skill program construction as a guide; divided in half because I don't have the skill myself) + 10%x5 (-25% penalty on Computer Programming roll: 75% chance of success): Final Skill: 75%
    Surveillance Systems - base percentage 25% (using RES Skill program construction as a guide; divided in half because I don't have the skill myself) + 10%x5 (-25% penalty on Computer Programming roll: 75% chance of success): Final Skill: 75%
    Read Sensory Equipment - base percentage 50% (using RES Skill program construction as a guide) + 10%x4 (-20% penalty on Computer Programming roll: 80% chance of success): Final Skill: 90%
    Radio: Basic - base percentage 50% (using RES Skill program construction as a guide) + 10%x3 (-15% penalty on Computer Programming roll: 85% chance of success): Final Skill: 80%
    Laser Communications - base percentage 50% (using RES Skill program construction as a guide) + 10%x3 (-15% penalty on Computer Programming roll: 85% chance of success): Final Skill: 80%
    Navigation: Space - base percentage 25% (using RES Skill program construction as a guide; divided in half because I don't have the skill myself) + 10%x5 (-25% penalty on Computer Programming roll: 75% chance of success): Final Skill: 75%
Computer Operations and Intelligence are to allow it to access reference libraries and make reasonable inferences about what something is. Radio: Basic, Surveillance, RSE, and Photography are so it can gather the information needed. Laser Comms and Nav-Space are so it can get there and relay the info back to its home ship.
3LT Ryden "Brainiac" Hunter
Current Details
HP: 44
SDC: 39

Current Gear: Here
ImageImage
Trust/Intimidate: 55%
Perception: 83%

"When you look at the 1st SOG, you're looking at the last best hope for all of the survivors of our planet, and my squad mates are pretty helpful too."
"That's brilliant. Of course it's brilliant, it's you." - Rosseyn "Nova" Ridatharen
"Ah, looks like Ryden know something we don't. But when has that even NOT been the case." Staff Sergeant Jerric "Backlash" Halko

Grymdin Alias: Samil Breen - Eclipse’s Deal Broker/Computer Whiz
Ryden
Silver Level Patron
Silver Level Patron

Postby Cairo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:38 am

Cairo's Projects Post
*** Not an Engineer

Permissions: I require every player's permission/refusal prior to allowing one PC to modify/tamper with another's gear.
Halko: Please, feel free to modify my gear once you've had a successful result with the mod on someone else's gear.
Ryden: Anyone has free reign over my non-computer gear, though I do ask to be asked first. If you touch my computer suit, prepare to face harsh retribution.
Niall: If you can improve my stuff without breaking it, please feel free to do so.
Gilina: Any tinkerer is welcome to work on Jill's equipment as long as they consult with her.

Sense of Craftsmanship:
Cairo tends to focus on one project until it's done correctly. CJ isn't an Engineer, he's an idea-guy but doesn't know as much about how to make things work in the Real-World. However he often retreats into the Cyber-realm to try and create and explore in his spare time because he can control rules there a bit more ...

Completed Tasks
Install Atorian Language Translator program (with the 322 languages) -- viewtopic.php?p=320700#p320700.
● Cyberjacking Program: APS: Human Force Field (PU 3, Pg 36) @ Lvl 4 
● Cyberjacking Program: Impervious to Control & Possession (PU 1, Pg 32)
● Cyberjacking Program: Prowl Skill 85%
Copy Atorian AI Program -- (1 successful skill roll required)

To-Do List
Cyberjacking Program: Transmutation (PU 3, Pg 104) -- Programming @ 12% --> 3 failed attempts so far = 1.5 days spent. (1 successful skill roll required)

Future Time Already Invested
Copy Atorian AI Program: .5 days spent
Cyberjacking Program: Transmutation: 1.5 days spent
Results: 2 days of future "free time" spent tinkering; AI program copied, Transmutation RES power still not correctly programmed.

Notes

Last edited by Cairo on Mon May 30, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2nd Lt. Cairo Xanreys
Current Details
Natural AR: 12
H.P.: 262/262
S.D.C.: 1450/1450

Constant Conditions:
Impervious to [Mind] Control & Possession; Impervious to Radiation/Depressurization/Cold; Breathes without Air (& can speak in a Vacuum); Resistant to Gravity Based Attacks [½ Damage/Effects]; Supervision: Spectrum Vision (Able to see energy magnetic fields, the electromagnetic spectrum, radio waves, electricity, microwaves, phase fields, force fields, x-rays, and all forms of radiation, 180ft); Regenerates 30/Hr (HP or SDC); Fatigues at 1/3 Normal Rate, Nightvision: 600', Sensitive Hearing (20 decibels beyond normal human range)
Cairo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Niall » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:40 am

Niall's Projects Post

Ryden: Anyone has free reign over my non-computer gear, though I do ask to be asked first. If you touch my computer suit, prepare to face harsh retribution.
Cairo: Ryden & Niall have free reign to fix/upgrade my equipment ... You break it, you buy it though.

Sense of Craftsmanship: Niall will focus on one project to completion, but will stop if he senses the task is beyond his skill, he has broken the project irretrievably, or the project is otherwise impossible.

Completed Tasks

To-Do List
Research and Design
1. Jump Field Expansion (employing superconductive materials to minimize energy loss in order to widen a jump drive's jump field output)
2. Probe Prototype (missile fuselage housing, engine, sensor package, navigation computer and communication array)
3. Passive Signal Collection Array (engine-less deep-space satellites to be placed near the ruins of Arismal to collect old Arismal transmissions (Audio/visual) and transmit to a receiving unit at the fleet for historical preservation)

Notes
Last edited by Niall on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Niall
Gold Level Patron
Gold Level Patron

Postby Gilina » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:41 am

Gilina's Projects Post

Sense of Craftsmanship:
Gilina is an Engineer at heart. She will study and study the task if possible before implementation. As time goes on, parts are limited. She will start to make shortcut engineering decisions in order to get the job done, but she won't be happy about it.

Completed Tasks

Enhanced Flow Capacitor
--Research: Done
--Materials:
--Construction:

Gilina wrote:Research -- 69% (109% with Engineering Toolkit): Original post: 1d100 = 80 | Original post: 1d100 = 41 | Original post: 1d100 = 68 | Original post: 1d100 = 45

To-Do List
Parts needed:
  • Flow sensor--an integral component of any capacitor system used to monitor the balance of energy in a ship's drive.
  • Flow regulator--a control system used to regulate the flow of energy is a ship's drive.

Notes
Gilina
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Augur » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:53 am

Group Salvage Parts & Useful Material
"The older I get the closer Lloyd comes to making sense." ~Uncle Servo
"Well, you have been Lloyd-pilled for years." ~ Bahb Silunt
ImageImage
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Augur
Admin

Postby Gilina » Sun May 15, 2016 6:57 pm

Gilina's Project #1
Project Name: Enhanced Flow Capacitor
    Description of Project: Arismal Jump Drives expends all the potential energy, regardless of distance traveled. Because of the nature of Arismal technology, research is needed to increase the flow capacity of the Jump Drive Propulsion Capacitor.

Design Requirements: Research and Electrical Engineering Rolls
    • Research -- 69% (109% with Engineering Toolkit): 1d100 = 80 | 1d100 = 41 | 1d100 = 68 | 1d100 = 45
    • Electrical Engineer -- 49% (79% with Engineering Toolkit): 1d100 = 25 | 1d100 = 52 | 1d100 = 21 | 1d100 = 64

Extensive notes on EFC project.

Gilina's Project #2
Project Name Pinpoint Force Field Research
    Description of Project: The Eclipse is equipped with Alien Force Field technology. But it is currently non-functional. Arismal have no information in technical journals to even help in the research process.

Design Requirements: Research and Alien Technology Mechanics
    • Research -- 69% (109% with Engineering Toolkit): 1d100 = 23 | 1d100 = 20 | 1d100 = 38 | 1d100 = 36
    • Alien Technology Mechanics -- 39% (59% with Engineering Toolkit): 10d100:
      27, 4, 81, 68, 69, 7, 23, 18, 15, 33

Gilina's Project #3
Project Name Transport Range Extender
    Description of Project: A static device used to extend the range of teleportation and portal transportation powers.
Gilina
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron

Postby Ryden » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:17 pm

Ryden's Project #1
Project Name: Create Schematic for Computer suit made with available alien gear.
    Description of Project: Using the specs available online, plus a thorough inventory of my own suit, create the specs to make a backup of my suit.

Design Requirements: (Six successful Electrical Engineering rolls will enable you to dissect, reassemble, and then draw up a schematic for a duplicate of your VR suit.)
    Component list (best available prices on Grymdin):
    • Military-Grade VR Filter: 750,000 credits
    • VR Null Gravity Rig: 20,000 credits
    • Helmet with full sensor suite and polarized visor: 15,000 credits
    • Hacking Computer: 400,000 credits
    • Light armor body suit: 5,000 credits
    • Assorted components necessary for systems integration: 5,000 credits
Ryden wrote:Electrical Engineer 73%/Original post: 1d100 = 93 (FAILURE)
Electrical Engineer 73%/Original post: 1d100 = 25 (SUCCESS)
Electrical Engineer 73%/Original post: 1d100 = 66 (SUCCESS)
Electrical Engineer 73%/Original post: 1d100 = 3 (CRIT SUCCESS)

Niall wrote:Electrical Engineer ☞ 85% Original post: 1d100 = 3 (SUCCESS)
Electrical Engineer ☞ 85% Original post: 1d100 = 47 (SUCCESS)
Electrical Engineer ☞ 85% Original post: 1d100 = 26 (SUCCESS)
Electrical Engineer ☞ 85% Original post: 1d100 = 62 (SUCCESS)
Electrical Engineer ☞ 85% Original post: 1d100 = 77 (SUCCESS)
Electrical Engineer ☞ 85% Original post: 1d100 = 24 (SUCCESS)
Electrical Engineer ☞ 85% Original post: 1d100 = 100 (FAIL)
Electrical Engineer ☞ 85% Original post: 1d100 = 52 (SUCCESS)
Electrical Engineer ☞ 85% Original post: 1d100 = 15 (SUCCESS)
3LT Ryden "Brainiac" Hunter
Current Details
HP: 44
SDC: 39

Current Gear: Here
ImageImage
Trust/Intimidate: 55%
Perception: 83%

"When you look at the 1st SOG, you're looking at the last best hope for all of the survivors of our planet, and my squad mates are pretty helpful too."
"That's brilliant. Of course it's brilliant, it's you." - Rosseyn "Nova" Ridatharen
"Ah, looks like Ryden know something we don't. But when has that even NOT been the case." Staff Sergeant Jerric "Backlash" Halko

Grymdin Alias: Samil Breen - Eclipse’s Deal Broker/Computer Whiz
Ryden
Silver Level Patron
Silver Level Patron

Return to HU2 Galactic: Roll Call (4 players, 4 openings)